Masters Running

Monday, 12.21.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Is today the first day of winter? I dunno - I've lost track.

Nice post-party run, Holly. I hope you got enough work done yesterday to earn that 4-day Christmas weekend.

Nice 10+ miler with the shorts bonus, Moebo.

Tet, it is impressive that you persist in going out in that wonderful (maybe not) wet and windy weather you are enjoying!

Congrats on the AG placement in tough weather, TSelbes! Have fun babysitting today.

Busy man, Mike, but kudos for still getting in your 6-miler.

Great job of earning 2nd place AG in your 'redemption' marathon, Rose! I hope you'll visit here more often. Tet is right: Never say never. Yes, pretzels...

Good double lake loop, Stumpy. Good advice on the yearly pace bunny too!

Phantastic photo of Henry and Deeze!

Nice job with the one-handed typing, Leslie. I hope you got Tracfone straightened out.

Congrats on the Grandmasters award on Saturday, Aamos. And kudos to you and DH for beating the tree. Nice 14.5 miler yesterday.

Good racing on the backward course, Deeze. Looks like it was a great meet-up and near meet-up too.

Nice 7+ miler, Evanflein. Congrats on the engagement, whatever you call DS1 & GF...

Nice story about your evolving relationship with Jennifer, Steve. But about those beavers...

I did 3 RW miles on the track before our training session yesterday, and then another mile with the group. No workout today since it is my SRD.

We're still trying to workout our travel plans for Christmas (which seem to change daily), as well as trying to line up contractors to get more insulation into our too-cold offices between Christmas and New Year's, when we'll be all but closed. We realized we started the process late, but are still hoping to get it done. We have the insulation guy, but need someone to take down and then reinstall all the paneling/sheetrock. The first guy was way too expensive, so we're talking to #2. I could do the work, but probably not half as fast as these guys, and we're trying to minimize disruptions in the office. I'm also struggling to keep up with the work for about half a dozen projects that I'm involved in. So I hate to be a downer, but I'm not really feeling the holiday spirit right now.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

To brighten your Monday, I have a swell update on my running chum who is a pair; she's the very speedy lady who pushes her daughter, Kayla, in races and usually beats most everyone.  (They did the half at the full I ran Dec. 13 and came in second in Charyse's (35-39) age group, in 1:41:22.)

Kayla clearly enjoys races, and while only one hand is mobile, insists on staying to applaud for the other AG winners when results are announced.  She is also one of if not THE best dressed participants, with matching ribbons or decorations on the chair (aerodynamic, of course.)

And here's the good news:

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- For Charyse Smith, a new home for her family is a dream come true.

“Even though I’m looking at this right now, it’s still not real. If you pinched me, I would still stay I felt that, but I’m still dreaming.”

Builders Care, a nonprofit organization, and Lennar Homes stepped in to make it happen when they learned Smith’s 9-year-old daughter, Kayla, suffers from cerebral palsy, and was running out of room in their current rental home.

“All the doors have marks on the bottom in our current house, unfortunately, because of her wheelchair and her equipment. It’s hard to get through sometimes,” said Smith.

The new house is being built around Kayla’s needs. It will have an open floor plan, wide doorways and handicap ramps and bars inside.

Crews are working overtime to get the Smith’s into their new home before Christmas.

“At this point in construction, we’ve already had thousands upon thousands of hands touch this project. [Crews are working] very long hours into the evenings [and] very early mornings,” said Builders Care Executive Director Christi Pritchett Sarlo.

Smith said she and her family can’t find the words to say how grateful they are.

“God just really stepped in here and blew us all away,” said Smith.

Race photoTeam K

Congrats Tom, and Erika--that's huge!

Yes, I liked your story about the kiddoes, Steve.

It's ok not to feel the spirit 24/7 Jay.  We decided we would keep the house a Christmas free zone until Xmas Eve, and then do the Tiny Tim type thing, since we both have the entire day off.  We'll go out and get what trimmings speak to us then.     And this year is definitely a movie and Chinese food Xmas, but we may see different movies......DH is a Trekkie, but he does want to see Star Wars.

6 and a thoid for me.  Lovely morning here.

Happy Monday......it's almost the afternoon!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Fatozig's great story about the "shirt you refuse to lose" won her a pair of Feetures! socks.  Well done Leslie!

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/runningheadlines/2015/12/21/winners-shirt-refuse-lose-feetures-socks

Spareribs

Aamos - That story gave me goosebumps all over.  God does indeed step in when we least expect it.  What a Christmas present!

Jay - You have so much on your plate all the time, I don't know how you stay sane.  And I'm not in the Christmas mood either.  It's hard to get in one when we don't really do anything for Christmas.  We'll go to the candlelight service at church Thursday evening, which I always love, but other than that - nada.

SteveP - A few years ago I wrote an article on mentoring for a legal professionals publication, and the gist of it was that most times we're mentoring people and don't even know it.  You obviously touched that girl's life.  What a Christmas gift for her to get in touch with you and let you know.

I FINALLY got my Tracfone working.  First I was on the phone with tech support for a little over an hour before it was decided it needed a hard reset, so they gave me instructions on how to do it, and then I sat and wrote down all the phone numbers I was going to lose.  Tried to find in my settings what was supposed to be there for the reset - nada.  I called back, talked to someone else, told them what was going on, and in about 7 minutes my phone was working.  I told her, "Sweetheart, I don't know what you did, but thank you!"

1.25 hrs of core/ST this morning, except I forgot to do the clamshells.  I'm starting to see results of the strength training and hip flexor stretching, in that my hip flexor and hamstring aren't bothering me much anymore.  Yay!  I do have somewhat of a kinker in my right shoulder, a knot in the muscle that runs along the shoulder blade.  I asked The Hub to work on it yesterday, and as much as I love that man, he totally sucks as a masseuse.  *sigh*  I need a massage.

It's raining cats, dogs, AND frogs here and is supposed to be this way all week.  Should make tomorrow's run interesting.  It's times like this that I wish I had a treadmill.  Oh well!  Makes ya stronger, right? 

Have a great week, friends ~

MTA - Ribs, Hiya!!  And Thanks!!! 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...mornin' guys//......good to finally find Ribbs.......

===========

....50's here and rain all week,,,,,,,,,feels cooler though

another

60-min HH walk

,,,,,,,,,,heading to Knoxville Wed,

and probably not much WorkingOut gonna happen

...........good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

yeah! After today, daylight gets longer again!  Today is also the birthdays for both my grandfather and FIL - they are both deceased and have been for a long time. not even sure how old they would have been. pretty old i'm sure.

Saturday night was the Night Mile hosted by our local running club. David still had one more race to do as part of the running club to get Runner of the Year eligibility, so despite not running for about 4 mos now, he went out and ran his 4 laps on the track. Still hammered out a 6.09.  So, that sealed the 1st Place Runner of the Year in his AG. Awards will be in January sometime.

Yesterday I had a friend and her 10th grade daughter over for Christmas baking. I've known her daughter since she was about 4th grade when I was a camp counselor and she was in my "group". . . then she ran T&F and XC throughout middle school with David and now she's at a different HS so I don't see her as much. I joke with my husband that I want her to my future DIL. She's every moms dream - smart, athletic, honestly just a pure & sweet girl, competes in 4H and this girl can make the most amazing food (even took 1st place Champion at State Fair this past summer). We had a fun afternoon and I painted her Christmas nails so she was thrilled about that. 

only working today and tomorrow and then off the rest of the week. I might just get in a few days of running this month after all.

Tammy

I am back. Not from Singapore tetsujin209 (in case you all thought I did not go back and read a daily or two!) but from Hong Kong.

evanflein congratulations on your DS's engagement. I wish them every happiness together!

SteveP that is an amazing story. You have had a very varied life to say the least.

I am back from Asia and staying put for a few weeks.   Singapore was part 1 of the trip. Hong Kong was part 2. Things I learned: Singapore is hot and humid. No really, really humid! Dew point in the low 80's. All day, all the time! But there are a lot of very nice places to go running. The air is reasonably clean. The scenery attractive. Hong Kong is a lot cooler. The air is unbreathable! You can see it and it stings to breathe deeply. There may be nice places to run in Hong Kong but it does not matter. I would not even think about going outside to run in the air they have. As a going away present, I picked up a really awful cold in Hong Kong. I spent the weekend flat on my back. I am not sure when I will be well enough to run again, but likely not for a few more days. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

4 miles today after a fun but slow 5K yesterday-did get to see Deeze (see yesterday's photo). Although it was my slowest 5 K of the year I was the oldest runner- the results website had an interesting graph of ages of participants (I was an outlier).

Twocat, hope you recover well from your cold. When we were in Hong Kong 12 years ago the air was just as bad but we ran very early in the morning and along the water, so it was bearable.

spacityrunner

4 miles today after a fun but slow 5K yesterday-did get to see Deeze (see yesterday's photo). Although it was my slowest 5 K of the year I was the oldest runner- the results website had an interesting graph of ages of participants (I was an outlier).

I hope to be an outlier someday

4 miles on the mountain.  Slow.  Is ok to be slow.  Said bye bye to RCG and the Rocky Rocket.....sniff sniff   We had tons of fun in a short day and a half visit.

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

No run for me today, just some weights and core this morning.

DD's team lost their basketball game tonight, but only by a few points, and DD got to play a lot, so I am okay with that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Jay, I hope your day went well, and that you got all of your travel and construction plans worked out.

Aamos, that was a very heartwarming story.

Erika, how great about your son's engagement!

And congratulations to Leslie--I would keep that shirt, too!

Got out late and just had time for 3.7 easy miles this morning. Nothing special.

Later today I realized that the almost-new black suede ankle boots I found for 20 dollars at a local consignment store yesterday sell for nearly 400 bucks new--made me feel like I had won the lottery!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I don't have a lot of time but, Holly reminded me of a funny story about my 2nd grade--1st year in basketball--grandson.  My daughter wasn't able to go to his game on Saturday, so when she got home, she asked him how the game went.  He said, "Mom, they tried to play trickery on us.  They kept yelling out 1, but they didn't even have a #1 on their team!"  I still laugh every time I think about it.

I did 10 miles tonight including 4x1.5 around a 6:40 pace--1:10:51 total.

Okay--that's it--gotta go!

Mariposai

I hope to be an outlier someday

4 miles on the mountain.  Slow.  Is ok to be slow.  Said bye bye to RCG and the Rocky Rocket.....sniff sniff   We had tons of fun in a short day and a half visit.

Slow running is OK, I ran almost 9 miles this morning at a 12-13 mile pace on heavy deep snow. I had a lot of fun.

Twocat, I ran while in Hong Kong at early morning and every mile was a blessed mile alone under cleaner air. I am sorry to hear about the bad cold. Take care, you have a marathon to run next year .

Mariposa hugs to all!

Now it is time to start my Christmas shopping.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran almost 9 miles this morning at a 12-13 mile pace on heavy deep snow.

That is a heck of a workout!

Moebo - great find!

Mike -

{{{Twocat}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."