Masters Running

WEEKLY RUN & X TRAINING GROUP, W/E 03/08/09 (Read 360 times)

I'm a little late, but I'm here. Been out of town for Conference, and since they charged for Internet service per 24-hour period, I only signed up once. Will get last week's totals out later. Erika - 34.6 running miles + .9 walking miles + 4 lazy pool laps + snow shoveling as x-training. Veeeerrry nice, especially with all the lousy weather! dg - 4.2 running miles + 1:02 biking hours + 1:27 swimming hours + 2:57 weight hours + 2:13:34 elliptical hours. Great all around workout for the week. eliz - 5.0 running miles + 2.0 walking miles + more snow shoveling. Way to go on the cut back week. Wink Ev - 31.5 running miles, which included quite the nice 25k/15.5 mile PR race. Way to go! pfriese - No running 'til at least March 9, but still checking in with us. Dutchie - 52.25k/32.47 running kilometers/miles + leg and ab workout. Doggie run, sore butt, but a nice long run. Very nice, indeed! fatozzig - 5.5 running miles + 4 walking miles + 1.5 biking hours + 50 min strength. And way too much shopping for someone going on vacation in a couple of weeks. Blush

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Easing back into things this week with a nice plan mapped out by Coach as follows: Mon - Sorry, but too dang tired from the weekend. Tues - 3+ mile run/walk recovery + easy upper body strength ----------------------- 3.25 miles; 30 min strength Wed - Bike 30+ min + Strength Training --------------------------------------------------- 45 min bike; 30 min strength Thurs - 4-5 mile run/walk --------------No workout. Some mild pain in the belly button area, so decided to give it a rest Fri - 3+ mile run/walk recovery + easy upper body strength -------------------------- 4 miles, 10:48 ap. No s/t. Sat - 7-mile trail run ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 5.6 m iles, 15:05 pace. Sore tummy, but felt really good. Total Running: 12.85 miles Total Biking: 45 min Total Strength: 60 min

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks fatozzig. Mon.....rest........rest Tues...4miles.......4miles Wed...9miles........9miles Thurs..rest.............rest Frid....7miles.........3miles Sat....rest.........4miles Sun...18miles........16miles Total....36miles
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Monday - snow shoveling as XT for about a half hour; strength and stretch at home Tuesday - "surfing" the internet for treadmills - does that count as XT? Wink Wednesday - straight from school to rehearsal = rest? Thursday - MY THIRD "RUN-IVERSARY - started my 4th year of running by running 4.0 and walking 1.0 in beautiful, calm, 32-degree sunshine; life is good Cool Friday - travel day Saturday - walked 1.0 and ran 7.0 on the boardwalk; sunny and in the 60s at the start; wind shifted to a sea breeze, temps dropped to mid-50s by the end, but still wonderful Sunday - pressed my luck and walked 1.0 and ran 5.0 on the BEACH with temps in the mid-60s!!! big miles for me this weekend, but it was so, so, so beautiful I couldn't resist; stretched right after and will do more stretch/strength this evening Summary: ran 16; walked 3; shoveled snow (for the last time this year, I hope) once; did stretch/strength twice - an awesome week. Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

Happy March! Leslie, thanks again for doing this. hope you are fully healed soon. hey. did you see billy mayes is doing commercials for gardening tools? Roll eyes I don't know what to do with myself this week. 2 months now of a reinjured hammie, or something. Just 2 months till I need to start serious training, so I should get back into some kind of decent mileage. I saw a new doctor yesterday, but he didn't even address the soft tissue stuff, focus is S/I which I think is right, but I should address both! Communication wasn't good. Do I call him back? dunno. somebody want to call him for me? I asked about running.. he said, go ahead, you aren't going to hurt it. but I think he meant the S/I joint. & we didn't talk about acceptible pain levels. The mile I ran yesterday, my range of motion was pathetic. very very short strides so it doesn't hurt. So, should I do that or not? Sorry!!! to go on like this. Thinking as I type I guess. But any feedback would be more than welcome. Monday: 12:10 on the precor elliptical, 1 mile, 9:49, 53:07 on the octane elliptical ahr 164, max 174. , 20 minutes , 2 sets lower body weights & 1 set of lat pulldowns. stretched a little. no stab. ball. Tuesday: rested. a litte running in place a few times, & some proprioceptive stuff. Wed.: 14 min. on the precor elliptical, 2 mile track run, 10 min. pace, 34 min. on the bike, 20 min. upper body weight machines & free weights. Thurs: 1 hr. mix of injured runner dvd, verstegen's prehab, & other core stabalizing things. had my last therapeutic massage for a while this morning. Fri: slept in. then it was so nice out, I ran a little on the hills i usually avoid because of hamstrings (I am so sick of that word!!) . it went pretty well. 3.67 miles. Sat: wimpy day! 30 min. core workout, 12 minutes on the precor elliptical, 3.1 miles on the track at the gym. 9.30 pace. Sun: 6.22 miles, 10:19 pace. rain & wind, but 40F. gym.. 15:18 precor elliptical, 10:11 rowing machine, 23:02 octane kick butt elliptical Wink, 20 min. lower body weight machines. a little stretching, a little whirlpooling. totals: run: 16.0 Mi, bike: 34:00 min., strength training, 2 hrs. 31 minutes, elliptical, 2 hrs. 9 min. 42 sec. (well, that's what it says...) , rowing machine, 10 minutes. not my best week. just didn't seem to have it. but injuries seem to be improving. Leslie, thanks so much for the hamstring stretch & exercise. I've been trying to fit it in. And I get to watch the critter hair floating around while I lie on the floor. ;>
              DG - I'm trying to remember what my MAT person told me about hammies. For one thing, he said they get a bad wrap, 'cause normally when your hammies are screwed up, it's because they were overcompensating for something else that's gone wrong, like in the quads (over strengthened compared to the hammies), the low back (something's thrown off, maybe like your SI joint), etc. Are they tight or just painful? Do you think you tore or pulled something? If you don't want to discuss it here, you can email me at fatozzig at yahoo dot com.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Thanks, Leslie and I hope you can get back into training without too much trouble. I've been plagued with general fatigue and blahs. My official diagnosis is I'm so totally done with winter... but it won't go away. Monday: Blah. Rest day. Tuesday: 5.1 Blah EZ miles on the treadmill; .45 mile walk c/d Wednesday: 10.5 miles, 8:32 avg pace (beat the snowstorm); .55 mile walk c/d Thursday: 5.1 miles on the treadmill; .45 mile walk... a repeat of Tuesday Friday: Rest day sort of... went to basketball tournament finals (we won!) Saturday: 10.5 miles, 8:33 avg pace; .66 mile walk w/u and c/d... and snow shoveling Sunday: 21 miles running (8:42 avg pace); .5 mile walk c/d Totals: 52.2 miles run, 2.6 miles walked, many shovels of snow scooped and tossed Tongue Thanks, Deb. Cutback week coming...
                dg.

Erika.... I copied & pasted these this morning but never got on the daily today. so fwiw.
                  I think I'm taking the day off. We'll see tonight. Feeling a little beat up this morning. Still trying to figure out what's going on with my carpy long runs the last few weeks... ......... After taking a rest day yesterday, which wasn't exactly restful but didn't run at least, I feel a little better. Didn't get to bed early enough, which I know is a real problem for me. I've been trying this running recovery runs instead of taking a rest day approach, and... the jury is still out. I think I just get run down more. But maybe it's because I'm not getting enough sleep. With DS2 having basketball every night (but THAT season is over) and soon soccer will be starting up so both boys will be at practice or games late, our household just doesn't wind down until close to 10 or 10:30 every night. Then there's the end-of-day puttering around and straightening you have to do if you want to find the way out in the morning... I'm rarely in bed before midnight and get up at 5:45 to be at work by 7:30. Fit 50 mile weeks in there... and well, you can see the problem.
                  . I know you know what you're doing... but maybe back off just a tad? I worry about you. Leslie... thanks, I'll do that. I do think it's a tear (well, maybe)... just minor, but at the same, on & off for a long time now. I definitely think other things are involved as far as a cause.
                  Dutchie42

Hi everyone, thanks Leslie for starting us up. And take it easy getting back into things. Eliz: how much snow do you guys still have? dg: did you talk to a PT about your problems? Or a sports physician? Erika: you could be overtraining. On the other hand, I'm fed up with Winter and morning darkness too. Me: I'm having problems with motivation in the morning. Mon...UB -> started a new weight training program which will take 3,5 months. My boys are joining me, which is good cause it'll make me stay with the program (competition thing going on here Tongue ). The next 4 weeks is about muscle endurance. This morning was chest/shoulders/biceps. Added a really tough abs w/o. Or my abs are in bad shape! Tue....65 min run -> was awake last night for hours after I woke up for a potty break. Slept in hoping to get a run in after work, but my late afternoon meeting lasted till 6h45PM. No running. Wed...90min run + self defense class -> 10K "easy" run@9.5K/h, no breaks. I'll do the 90min run tomorrow. No self defense. Was too tired and headachy. Stayed on the couch Wink Thu....65min run + abs -> 13K in 1:20:28 / avg pace=6:12 min.. I've never ran this fast. Ofcourse I was on the TM. So I'll be a heck of a lot slower out on the road. Had to skip the abs due to time constraints Fri......LB ->did a LB w/o. Wasn't as tough as I expected. Very doable (for me). Varied exercises. Really liked it. Sat....UB + abs + doggie run -> started the day with an hour of back/ triceps. Followed by 17 minutes of abs and finished with a 6.4K doggie fun run which wasn't as slow as it usually is (44:52), despite 6xdoggie business, a car passing and Spike unwilling to go home in the last 1500 meters.. Sun...2h30 long run -> 23.2K long run on the TM watchin Stargate the movie and something else. Listening to my usual running music at the same time. 2h32 minutes and change. Total mileage: 52.6K Strength training: 2xUB and 1x LB Abs/core: 2x

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Erika, sounds like a combination of lack of sleep, too busy of a life, maybe over training, and the winter blues. Something's gotta give, and you don't want it to be your health. Try to get more sleep, kiddo. Less than 6 hours a night just is not good for you.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

dg.

Dutchie, (& Leslie) & saw a sports medicine doctor... he gave me a prescription for PT but I don't start until next week. LIke you said, Leslie, other things can be the cause... so the PT is going to treat S/I disfunction. Sorry, I may have alrady said that. I'll go ahead & talk about it here, at least some, the more ideas the better. I've read so much, etc. but stil don't know what to do. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like hamstrings + piriformis. Definitely painful. Brief history... pulled hammies (pretty sure!) 10/07, bad enough it took 6 months to be running again. Pulled them again in July, not as bad. (started therapeutic massage then). Pulled them again the first week of January. Could still run, till I tripped a few weeks ago. Stupid Stupid. So... I just don't know how much to do while they're treating the S/I problem. ..(The doctor said I could run but he hasn't diagnosed it or checked it out yet. Or even taken a history.) .I want the soft tissue things to be healing in the meantime. Can run a little, but like i said, my gait is off. I signed up for a full in Oct., & even though that's a long way off... it's getting closer, while I'm not getting better. thanks, I owe you all your favorite things for even reading this. Dutchie, nice running! Are you really faster on the TM? I'm definitely slower. Confused Eliz, congrats on your run-iversary!
                          dg - Your PT will probably start you some hamstring strengthening exercises, as well as treat the SI. I, too, pulled mine pretty bad a couple of years ago. I didn't quit running, and it took a long time to heal. The other problem I ended up with was over-developed quads, which pulled really bad on the hams. They would get so stiff, that after sitting for only 10-15 minutes, I'd have to walk a short ways sort of in a squat until they loosened up. My coach finally saw me one day after a run and showed me how to do gentle wall stretches and I began hamstring strengthening exercises, and after a couple of weeks, there was a significant difference. I'm glad you're going to PT. We get some wonderful advice here, but it's important to get the professional medical opinion, as well, so that we don't cause ourselves worse or irreversible harm.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

dg.

thanks Leslie. I've wondered about the quad/hamstring strength balance. Did they test you for it, or was it just obvious? I think so too about seeing a PT. I think this person sounds pretty good. I have seen some that aren't! http://www.probilitypt.com/staff/khuck.php I've tried just about everything myself, but must be missing something. that dangerous 'little bit of knowledge'.
                            evanflein

Thanks you guys. I've thought of the overtraining thing, but wouldn't want to admit it even if I seriously thought that was the case. I'm thinking more just too much stress at work... and unfortunately at home too. Upcoming heavy travel/conference schedule in the midst of peak Boston training isn't helping the stress load any, but I think I've juggled things enough to compensate. And I've backed off my glorious PR goals for Boston. Just not the year for it, maybe never will be. But that's ok. I'm thinking I'm done with the real time goals for these races, and now I want to flex my Maniac-muscle and try to get as many in as many different locations as possible. Don't worry, it'll hardly be one a week... my travel budget will keep the schedule sane if not downright sparse sometimes. I'm also thinking of NOT training anymore... still running, but only when and as I feel. Might be nice to put the garden ahead of the training one of these summers!
                                Erika - I don't know how long you've been running, but it sounds like you're getting your head wrapped better around just having fun with it as opposed to beating yourself to death with training. Good for you, and be sure to keep eating healthy while traveling. Sometimes it's a challenge, but it's so very important, especially when it's stressful traveling. dg - My coach, my buddy, and I had done an 18-mile round trip run summer before last, then drove about about 45 minutes before we stopped to eat on the way back. I had told him about my tight hammy issue, but when he saw me trying to get out of the car he was like Shocked . He's the one who pegged over-strengthened quads and under-strengthened hammies and gave me some stretching poses and exercises to help balance things out. The Wall Stretch - Let's work with the right leg first. Lie on the floor in a doorway with the left leg "in the doorway." Place your right heel on the wall in a gentle stretch for 5 minutes. Read a book, listen to a song, whatever. Switch legs, which means you'll have to go to the other side of the doorway. Do this at least once a day and soon you will find that you'll be scooting your butt closer to the wall in order to get that gentle stretch. My MAT person now has me doing this exercise (among others) w/out the wall in order to help create a balanced strength between the quads and hammies. Lie on the floor and, keeping your leg straight but relaxed (don't point your foot), raise it up to the point that nothing else is lifting off the ground (hips, lower back) and hold it to the count of 6, if you can. Depending on your quads, you might only be able to hold it for a couple of seconds before your quad starts to cramp up. I was completely shocked the first time I tried to do this. Now I can hold it fairly straight up for the entire 6 seconds, but it's taken me awhile to get there.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance