Masters Running

MARCH Challenge Update!! (Read 57 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

25 very sloppy, uninspired burpees with the extra push-ups.  Because of my race, on Saturday--and because of the way my body is feeling--I'm going to back down to doing just the required amount.   After the race, I'll jump back up there...maybe...

Marathon Maniac #957

Did my 11 on the 11th.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jeffdonahue

I hate to say this (especially because I inflicted this torment on all of you) but I am out.  I made it through day 8, but at that point I wasnt doing anything explosive, just trying to use it to stretch and doing the pushups.

But, my abdominal strain pain came back pretty hard in the last couple days of doing the burpees so I had to stop.  It is just starting to feel better today after 3 days of rest.  My body just cant do the crunching, explosive movements of the burpee.  I'll go back to doing some planks in a few days to help with my core, but burpees are out of the question.  When I tried to run on day 8, every step hurt.  Yesterday, the pain when running was just about gone at least, and that is way more important to me than doing a burpee.

Sorry, but have to do what's best for my body.

Jeff

TammyinGP

okay, this is a bad sign. OM hurt herself during her challenge last month and now jeff hurt himself during his challenge this month. Surprised

I guess I'm "officially" out also as I forgot my 11 last night until it was bedtime and I'm not disciplined enough to say "honey, I can't come to bed until I do my 11 burpees".

But I'll keep doing them even though I missed last night. I did some planks this morning though.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I'll admit that I was worried slightly about these exercises, being that I am an old fart and don't want to endanger my marathon training, but have been holding up so far.  However, if you two are out, that just leaves me and Mike.

Should we continue, or can we change the challenge mid-month to something less, well, exposive?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Personally, I'm in favor of continuing the monthly challenge even if someone misses a day (unless you are out due to an injury, then obviously, don't do them anymore).

For me, it's more about implementing a different type of exercise and using different muscles that don't always get used in running. I still plan on doing the burpees even though I missed yesterday. BUT, I'm not an explosive jumper (like there might only be a couple inches air under my feet and by the last one, my toes are probably barely leaving the ground) and I don't do these real fast. I'd rather do them slowly and have proper form and modify them accordingly so that I don't hurt myself. A monthly challenge is not worth injuring yourself.

I still think these burpees can be a good challenge even if you don't jump at the end - just standing up and then going back down to a squat will get the heart pumping.  I also modify them by doing girly pushups.

I think there are a couple others that are doing this challenge also even though they don't always report in daily. Dallas is one I can think of  and I was thinking there was someone else also?

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

I did 12 today.

I love these different exercise.  I have never done planks before and I really don't remember ever doing a burpee.  So I think it's great doing different things.  And being able to come on here and post that I did my exercise every day is a real incentive for me.  BUT--if I had a marathon, this weekend, I guarantee that I would not be doing a single burpee, this week.  But, if I did miss this week because of a marathon this weekend, I'd jump back into it on Monday.  I will admit, though, that I would rather do exercises that are geared toward strengthening the core and leaving the legs alone.  But I'll try anything you guys come up with.

Okay--that's all.  Thanks for listening.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm not an explosive jumper (like there might only be a couple inches air under my feet and by the last one, my toes are probably barely leaving the ground) and I don't do these real fast. I'd rather do them slowly and have proper form and modify them accordingly so that I don't hurt myself. A monthly challenge is not worth injuring yourself.

I still think these burpees can be a good challenge even if you don't jump at the end - just standing up and then going back down to a squat will get the heart pumping.  I also modify them by doing girly pushups.

Well that's a relief, because it's the jumping part at the end that makes me nervous.

13 modified burpees for me today (full push-ups but no jump at the end, just standing up.)

Mike E

MM #5615

13 burpees

Marathon Maniac #957

14 for me today.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--14 for me, too.

Marathon Maniac #957

And I am jumping upright, just not jumping high...

Hoodoo Guru

I'm out.  Burpees after track workouts and while I am trying to ramp up my mileage a little bit don't seem to be compatible.  I may start again this weekend with a 3 time a week plan rather than a daily plan.  That being said, someone posted this image on facebook yesterday and I thought of y'all:

The tangents are moot.

Marathon Maniac #957

15 for me today.

Mike E

MM #5615

15...very gentle ones...remember, I have race, tomorrow...then green beer.