Masters Running

MARCH Challenge Update!! (Read 57 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hang in there, Mike!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

We are all cheering you on from the comfort of our non-burpee positions!  Joking

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

So we agree that April will be push up month. What do you think is a good starting number?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

i'm a pushup weenie, so really don't know a good starting point. Roll eyes

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

28...burpees...not how many pushups we should start with...unless you want to start off with 28...

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike E

MM #5615

I will add my thoughts to the pushup challenge.  I used to do a lot of weight training and I read a few books and I worked out with some pretty knowledgeable people.  What I learned is that some muscles--such as abdominals and calves are okay to work every day.  But most muscles--such as the pectorals, deltoids, and triceps--which are most affected by pushups--should be worked every other day.  Now, I will say that I have not really studied this stuff for quite some time and I know that more has been learned and philosophies change over the years, but I thought I'd throw that out there.  Maybe we could do an odd-even day thing where we do pushups on the odd days and an upper back exercise (which would be an opposing muscle to the chest muscles) on the even days.  Since we're trying to do things without the use of weights, I found a video that shows a good back exercise... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChHvS2QcNcU

So, those are my thoughts.  I'll try to do whatever you come up with.

TammyinGP

I actually like that idea alot Mike.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent idea, Mike!

Mike E

MM #5615

Anything would sound good after these burpees!

Marathon Maniac #957

So what should we call those back exercises?  Back lifts?  Back extensions? Reverse crunches?

I sometimes do a variation of these once a week on the stability ball.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRM3eC2GT0

I need to brace my feet on the wall or the bottem of the sofa to do them and keep balance.

Mike E

MM #5615

31 and done!