Masters Running

Thursday before the perfect storm (Read 51 times)

mrrun

Not knowing what the weather will bring for the next few days, I ran at 4:45 for 3+ miles.  It was cold, no wind.  the only sightings were one runner, one cyclist, and many parked taxis.

tomorrow we're either getting a blizzard or nothing (hard to know, but the weather people are enjoying it no end)

have a wonderful day and runs!  (((to anyone who needs))))

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' Marj, and those still sipping coffee.

Like Marj, we're expecting some weather over the next 2-3 days, so it was good to get out while the getting was good. I did a 5-mile workout on Tuesday and was achy for most of the rest of the day - not good. So I took yesterday off, and felt OK, until our toothbrush delivery arrived, and there were 38 rather large cartons that had to be carried (Hello, Jay?) upstairs. And then I washed the kitchen floor when I got home. And then my right hip started complaining. I eventually took an Ibu, and felt OK by the time this morning rolled around. So I was out the door at 4:15 for about a 7.2 mile tour of the neighborhood. It was 15F with a light westerly breeze. I thought it was a moonless morning, but when I got to the coast I saw a slice hanging low over the water, as the moon was barely ahead of the sun in rising and tracking across the skies.

The forecast for here (southeast NH) is for up to 2 feet of snow by Saturday afternoon, with some serious wind. So I'll make sure I have enough gas for the snow blower and the generator.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

the weather people are enjoying it no end)

I know what you mean.  They're having what CNYrunner calls, a "weathergasm."  Big grin

Just 2 miles for me this morning, plus 45 minutes of weights and core.

My right big toenail has been black since the Flying Monkey in November.  Last night when I was watching tv it just suddenly popped off.  Okay, not all the way, it was hanging by a small part of the cuticle and I had to cut it, but still.  Took long enough for it to decide to come off....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...yeah, and TheSouth is hitting High 60's  today........Weird......

============

did 15min x-bike

and

double weight sessions

will stop

if TheBack hurts,,,,,,but after 2-weeks of NoBike

I Cahn't Staand It N'More!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..................good running guys...........................tet's PurplePills are in TheMail so Be Advised..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Here in mid-Michigan we are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow this afternoon along with it being windy.  Not much snow so far this year, so the snow blower is still hidden under a bunch of summer junk, like the plastic kiddie pool.  (I'm not big on cleaning the garage.)

But I dug out the snow cleaning machine, put some air in the tires, gas in the tank, and took it for a test drive this morning with the 1-2 inches that we have on the ground now.  (Just a little dusting unrelated to the stuff that is supposedly on it's way.)  Looks like I am ready for our storm.

I'll try to get out for a few miles around lunch time.

lamerunner

Hello again. Lots of weathergasms indeed!! I hope we do get the snow; we could use it, especially up north; ski and hospitality industries, along with snowmobiling etc, really depend on decent snow. We could get 2 feet around here, a bit less further north but still plenty if the storm comes together... I may scoot out early tomorrow  to drive  north ahead of the worst of it .

I  did a little run this morning. Although it is pretty nice out, cold and clear, I opted for the Tm to reduce the wear and tear and keep myself from overdoing it.  Just 5 miles, starting at 8:41 pace then 8:34 then down to just over 8:00 for the last mile. These days 8 min pace feels pretty fast. My knee did ok, just a little achy.     I also did a couple of arm weights and 3 mins of planks. I have been doing planks about every other day, along with some crunches but I don't seem to be easily able to increase the duration..

Have great day everyone. I expect there will be grocerygasms later also...

OrangeMat

MM #6177

We're supposed to be hit with some substantial snow as well, but the word "blizzard" isn't being used here in northeastern NJ. And we're far enough away from the shoreline, so we don't get crushed like Twocat does (sorry!). So I guess my biggest question for this weekend's 16-miler is whether I go with trail shoes, screw shoes or Yak Trax. Haven't tried the screw shoe route yet, been leery of messing with my beloved Pure Flows. I do have a TM but that's not even an option; 2-3 miles on that thing and my hips will go way out of whack. I want to stay IN whack. So outside I will go.

Rest day today. Hoping to get to the Y to do some easy swimming this afternoon. Have a good day, all.

Maniac 505

OK, time to get out of lurk mode.

All you Right coasters,  Hunker down if you need to.  It's raining here in Seattle, but supposed to hit nearly 50 today.

Mari,  I hope those drugs knock the carp out of whatever you have.

Jlynne,  Take care of that hammy.  I pulled mine in '06,  each time it got close to healing I pushed it a little hard (I was signed up for a 1/2 ironman relay and didn't want to let my team  mates down.  After I limped through the 1/2 I gave it the time I needed and came back stronger then ever.

I hardly feel like calling myself a runner lately.  Probably 15-20 miles every other week.  As the weather gets better I hope to pick it up at least a little.  My left knee feels a little twingy lately I'm pretty sure it is nothing, but since this is the worst work assignment I normally get.  Working nights, 1 hour commute in traffic,  ride a ferry to work,  work a 12 hour shift then reverse it to come home means 16 hours door to door.  I will use any excuse I can find to not run with this schedule.

The good news is I talked to a financial planner a couple of weeks ago for a second opinion on my plans and for thoughts on tweaking my portfolio.  I have always done it myself but I am getting close to not being able to recover from mistakes.

And he felt my plan to quit in 3 years (62) and retire at 65 was very feasible (his numbers were much more conservative then mine) .

Plans can change but the count down begins.  In 3 years I can start thinking of getting back into marathon shape.

That's it,  I have already been up too long.  Good Night all.

King of PhotoShop

Get well Mariposai, and good luck on your plan Dave.

Yes the weather is all the talk.  Hasn't it been weird?  It's so warm down here and now the NE is going to get pelted once again.

Today was my follow-up consult with the dr. following my routine colonoscopy.  He gave me this sheet of paper that had on it a bunch of diet recommendations, all of which I already do.  I felt like saying to the fat dope, "Want to have a salmon and broccoli eating contest?"

3.2 easy miles on the dirt track this morning.  Off to work.  Spareribs

steve, I'm glad you survived the doctor and hospital.  It's too bad something can't be done about your boss. mari, I hope you can kick the stuff you've got, and quickly.  jlynne, sorry to hear about the fall and torn hamstring.  Don't push it too hard coming back.

Nice long runs for Mike, Twocat, OM, and maine.

This morning, it was in the mid 20s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:16 pace.  Dave already told you our weather forecast.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sunny here today, and sunny all weekend predicted.  I am very much looking forward to going to my happy place this weekend, the cabin, to chill out.  Sadness, anger and confusion continues, without much respite.

approx. 4.2 miles this morning.  I didn't have time to download the data, but I was watching my HR occasionally.  My Garmin 610 has a HR monitor, and the band is not too uncomfortable, so I have been wearing it.  It is shocking though.  By the third or fourth mile, my HR is about 170!!! but it still seems like an easy pace to me.   I must be really out of shape.   I decided to push the last 1/4 mile, to 90-95% effort, and it went up to 185!!!  Obviously that 220-age formula is pretty crude, or I am really 35 and didn't know it!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Retirement in three years sound great!

OrangeMat, yak track are always my preference.

Hold that good weather in Seattle folks, we are going there on the weekend for a nephew's wedding! Next time I go there, I am hanging out with my pal enkephalin. Enjoy the cabin precious girl!

Very icy weather here. Our local School Superintendent hit a bad ice on the road, lost control of the car and had a tragic accident. He died. Very sad. He was a fellow Rotarian, so I know the family rather well.

No running, but yes working for me yeahh. One step at the time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Still hearing all different kinds of possibilities for this impending storm...anywhere from 12 inches to upwards of 40 inches plus...this is going to be brutal if it blows up as expected.  Oh well I do live in Maine, for a few more winters that is!

5 Miles today  - 40:59 (8:12)

Marathon Maniac #957

t my plan to quit in 3 years (62) and retire at 65

So, what do you do after you quit but before you retire?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So, what do you do after you quit but before you retire?

me too holly but instead of dave's quitting at 62 and retiring at 65, I retired at 62 but still  haven't quit yet..

dave - thanks for the catch-up. No wonder you've been missing. Hope you get a break in those 16 hour days and get your monthly mileage up towards the 50 mile range  In May,  I'm hoping to break 100 miles in a month  for the first time in seven years   in case you have any more training advice such as your modified Fitz program that got me the 4:30 i was so devoutly desiring that you helped me get in October 2006.  thanks again.

Mari - So sorry for such a tragedy compounded even more by the impact on a small town with almost everyone knowing everyone. Hope today's second-day-of-sunshine this winter shares its rays with your nephew's wedding this weekend.  there's a Valentine 5K around Green Lake at 9am Saturday morning in case you're not making home-make cakes, decorating the reception hall, helping dress the bride and everything else that would guarantee memorable vows.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)