Masters Running

40's + on the Run (Week beg 10/26/08) (Read 492 times)

flatland mountaineer

"May those that love us, love us. Those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts. If He can't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping." Short 7 mile loop to suffice for a long run. Another 4 wheel drive run for the half trail half road portion. The rest was on county gravel roads. I kinda like the route and could check the hunters a little. Looks like several got up to where the trail got muddy then turned around in my growing wheat field leaving big deep tracks.....Grrrrrr Lynda did 7+ into a brisk north wind, I told her it was like 8+ because of conditions. At least I only was into the wind for part of it. Wind is howling fiercely now and supposed to get cold, like 19 tonight. Hopefully just what we need (ok maybe a little less wind) to get this corn to dry down and also dry the fields enough to get around without compacting the soil and rutting. Weather this week looks open, so will probably call in my crew. Fixed a things on the trucks today and am going to go grade our grain bin site and fill in some mud holes. Joe them is some big miles in 4 days Smile Howdy to the rest of the gang.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Looks like several got up to where the trail got muddy then turned around in my growing wheat field leaving big deep tracks.....Grrrrrr
      $%*&(#$%! I'm thinkin' bad thoughts about them for you. Today was a "rest" day, if you can call over 4 hours of yard work rest. Woke up with a sore butt and calves, but now my back has made me forget all about them. Had our deck sanded down and refinished over the last two weekends. Now, with the refinishing, we have to keep them inside for at least the next 24 hours. Yeah, this is gonna be fun. And, it's been an absolutely beautiful day today - until the finish got put on. Then the fog rolled in. Evil grin Later! MTA - I got booted off the Internet! Gotta love Suddenlink.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All- Fingers are crossed for you Jim. Sounds like your kitties are going to have cabin fever Leslie.Nice pics last week Kelly. Long run off this week so the Budmeister and I got out on the trails for 11m this morning. Crisp and cool after a good storm last night. That and a Giants win over the Steelers adds up to a perritty good weekend! C ya's

Queen of 3rd Place

Farmer Jim, promise not to laugh too hard when I say that 48F is about all I can take in my running gear. I found that out while standing around outside at 5 am Saturday morning....BRRR! What a GREAT weekend of running and eating Big grin, I've posted my RR under "racing" in the general forums. Overall take-home message: hideous race organization, but a great run anyway due to an awesome gently rolling course, eye-popping gorgeous location and perfect weather. And did I mention the thing nearest and dearest to my heart, namely...EATING! While we have some passable restaurants here in Fresno (really, we do, it's not the Gulag, despite reports suggesting the contrary), but the large coastal cities and the wine country of California can really shine. Even Friday evening dinner at a homey brewpub...well I was expecting nothing special, instead I had what must have been the ultimate comfort-food, namely polenta, done up on a bed of fresh fresh fresh sauteed vegetables, the polenta itself studded with mushrooms, topped with a mellow pesto and a delicate crust of parmesan. Ahhhh....a little hot tub soak at our cheap motel (cheap by wine country standards, that is), and I was gone... Saturday night's long wait to eat was worth it, I guess I'd call Willi's in Healdsburg a "California-style tapas bar" - we had bacon-wrapped scallops on Asian slaw, green beans with Fresno chiles and cashews...a surprising spinach salad with brown sugar and chili dusted almonds, bacon dressing, goat cheese, and a surprise that worked SO well, a smattering of dates...mmmm....oh yes and caramelized salmon on a mound of exotic mushrooms....finally a cheese course that held another surprise, a local brie with a drizzle of honey on top...WOW!! On the drive home today, downtown Napa has its famous Copia http://www.copia.org/ worth a day's visit, but right next door is a sort of marketplace area, where local wine, produce, cheese and simply more yummy stuff than you can take in by eye much less by mouth can be sampled...somehow I found room in my quickly-growing tummy to sample just a few more little things... I better get some more good runs in this week! Arla

Ex runner

Super run for you Arla......glad things felt good the whole 14 miles. Knowing you could have gone a few more miles must have felt reassurlng as well. Yep, I would have sped up just a tad as well hearing someone talk to themselves that early on. What a great idea to use the half for a training run for your full. Wine and honey, hmmmm........forget the water and gatorade! Great job and a great RR! Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              Hello 40s. Got back on Sat. from St. Louis. Had a great time while there and got in 3 runs along the Mississippi. It's good to be back home, of course. A nice 7 miler for me yesterday back on my home course. Jim, are you guys weaing blaze orange on your runs? fatozzig...yard work does NOT count as a rest day. A rest from running maybe, but as I'm sure you can attest, it's not very restful! I bet the deck is beautiful. Joe, sounds like a nice trail run. Go Giants! (did I just say that?) arla...I'll have to get over there and read your RR. The food descriptions were awesome! jewels...I'm with you on the wine and honey, honey. Have a great week!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Welcome back Evryday.....running along the Mississippi, sounds nice. Somebody pushed some cool weather down my way. Feels great this morning......maybe 60 right now. Yes, I broke out the sweater this morning for work. Will probably only get up to about 75 today. Tomorrow may break a record (so they say). Low 45, high 62? Something like that.....we'll see. I'm not gonna lie, I have been sore (a good sore) from my run on Sat. The trails are very sandy, like running on the beach so I had a real good leg work out. Got out the rolling pin and my daughter rolled out the back of my thighs. Also got in the jacuzzi about 8 o'clock last night for about 20-30 minutes. The air was crispy cool, the steam was escaping into the air and there I was.....having a drink and lovin' life. Woohoo! No run yesterday and I'm gonna bail today as well...... Jim, love the quote, thanks for getting us going for another week. Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Good Monday Morning to ya! Wink (fingers crossed that my posting attempt will actually post this am...hasn't been posting & I haven't had time to retry!) Jim: almost tempting to have some temp road spikes on hand.... Evil grin pretty darned windy down here over the wknd too....they clocked 85 mph up @ Berthoud Pass Arla: I think I gained 10lbs just reading about your lovely food & wine fest! Yes Evryday: that's how some of us "rest" around here..... Roll eyes Glad to hear every-body's enjoying the cooler weather! Smile especially the doggies! ...it's warmed up to 29* so far this am....Mairead is "patiently" waiting .....we've been going out on softer trails...found a section of Highline that is kinda like beach sand.....ankle is much better....relieved I am! Wink still working out some creakies...but all in all...doing well! She's still not sure why we're not going very far..... Confused been taking her out to the dog park to supplement... Doug has confessed that his knee (that he banged up pretty hard learning to snowboard under the influence of copious amts of alcohol several yrs ago....) has been bothering him a bit since last Sunday Roll eyes.....so, now that he's admitted to it...we're doing ice/heat & ibu along w/light runs ....my speed! Got to spend some of that wknd "rest" time continuing construction on friend's Jazzercise studio....we cut & put down the carpet, moldings, built benches, entry counter, stereo cabinet, working on the stage, some painting.... Jewels - move over! Big grin
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Morning, Gang - Jewels - May I come sit in your hot tub with you?? Cool Arla - Will get over there and read your report, but your food report - oh my!! I had to wipe the drool off my chin. My brother and SIL live in Healdsburg and he works for Cal Pine at the Geyers up in the hills. We get down there once a blue moon. Veeeery expensive place to live. They can barely afford the little apartment they rent. Evryday - Never been to St. Louis, but would love to go sometime. My boss' son lives there. Joe - The Budmeister. Just picturing him makes me smile. Smile Cindy - Would it be evil if I smiled when thinking about Doug feelin' the marathon a tad bit?? 1 hour of core/strength this a.m., then 3 miles. Cripes - between Saturday's run, yesterday's yard work, and today, I am not only pooped, but sore - especially in the ole buttola. Today was the first time in quite awhile that I've done my full strength training program and then ran. Ugh! My legs for the first mile were like, "Whaaaa??" After some major meowing for about an hour and a half from Ziggy and BK, and BK being a little #$%!*& and stalking Zig, the household finally settled down last night. Our old guy at one point hissed at someone then wandered off to bed, just like a grouchy old man. If he had fingers, he would've given everyone the universal "screw you" salute. Big grin Have a great week ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Read your report, Arla. Congratulations! It sounded like you had a fantastic time. You're going to do great in your marathon. Yes, the Napa Valley is a beautiful area. I love stopping there and wandering around whenever we go to the Bay Area. Used to be members (is that what it's called?) of St. Helena Winery. They don't sell their wine on the open market, but if you ever come across a bottle, I highly recommend giving a try. Very good.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I'm almost done my annotated bibliography on Iliotibial Band Syndrome!....then I'll be able to come out and play!...oh wait!..I have homework to catch up on too....I'll try to be out soon....Kelly (My mid-semester grade is an A- though! Big grin)
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

CONGRATULATIONS KELLY!!! WOO-HOO!! 6.82 migratory Mairead miles....IRC! 48* F/33% H, clear, calm, aaahhhh Fall day! Smile broke 1000 for the year! Wink stopped to visit w/a coupla handsome black labs & noticed a curious pr of tiny pink Barbie shoes set neatly at the edge of the sidewalk? must be a visiting grandchild @ the house...
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi All- Jewels- good going on the "good sore" they're the best kind! Great wine run Arla- and great report. Sure sounds nice. Hey Evryday-glad you got home ok! Bring on 'dem Cowboys!! Leslie- who needs kids when you have all that going on! Way to Go Kelly! You deserve a gold star for that A !! Hey Cindy- 1,000 miles!! That's a lot! Glad your ankle's not complaining!(sorry the shoes are not mine) Jim, hoping the ground's cooperating for you. Can I come drive a truck? ah Monday's, gotta love it...... Cool

Leslie- who needs kids when you have all that going on!
                              That's 5 male cats and a husband. Nope, don't need kids to add to the circus. Too much testosterone all the way around. At least The Hub doesn't try and mark his territory . . . well, at least not inside the house. Wink

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

So I rush out of work this afternoon to pick up my daughter to take her to her MRI. She's 18 so she could have gone on her own but.....I wanted to be there and besides, she likes wasting my gas instead of her own! Smile The minute she got in the "tube" it broke. She's laying in there in a skimpy little gown and the whole damn machine just pooped out. It's a guy radiologist and THEN he calls in the technicians, more guys in the room. She's like, WTH! Never got it fixed. Gotta go back again tomorrow. More wasted gas of mine..... Undecided It's a good 20-30 minute drive to this particular place but it's worth it. The MRI is only costing me 5 bucks. Sounds as though everyone is getting in there runs......great job! Way to go Kelly on the mid-semester grade! MTA: Cindy, I don't think I ever "thanked you" for the marathon you ran that included the names of so many cancer survivors/not so lucky ones. Thanks a million! Jewels