Masters Running

Saturday, June 7 Runs and Adventures (Read 40 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I am having my coffee and getting ready to suit up to go run, and thought I would stop in to wish good luck to the racers.  Mariposai - I am really looking forward to hearing about your race especially.

After golf last night we headed over to DD's softball game, which ran late, so we didn't get home until nearly 10:30 - NOT what I like to do when I am getting up at 5:30 for a big run.  Additionally, I somehow decided a cheeseburger at the golf course was good pre-race food.  Ouch.....I should not have eaten the whole thing...I certainly had some bizarre dreams, as I do when I go to bed too full.  You would think I should know better by now.  Still, I expect I will run it off today....

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Have a fun race Holly. I too had similar problem, I ate way too much for carboloading with similar results like yours.

I was up at Jay o'clock to get ready for the drive to Winthrop. The birds are sure talkative this morning.

It will be a hot day for a race, I am so glad that this marathon is just for the fun and not for time and I am looking forward running around 4 miles with fjordrunner.

Roars!!!

ohhh, and Hallelujah, no more tapering 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Late night munchies Holly? I know you'll run that away today. Good luch.

Have fun at the race Mariposai.

I will have a long day today. 3 soccer games with my kids and refereeing another 4. Got a quick 5k this morning and will have to wait until late to do the other 5k. Yikes. Hope the kids have fun at this tournament today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Big Roars all around and enjoy the miles Holly and Maraposai! I am sure the races--runs will be grand.

Sound slike a packed and also awesome day for you and the kids C-R

Somewhat lazy morning here in the CNYrunner house. Hudson is snoozing after his four-mile walk with Mr. CNYrunner (their morning routine) I am still in PJs and just polished off a few cups of coffee. The kiddo was at his youth track coaching job until 9:30 pm and then at a graduation party so I don't expect to see him for a few more hours. He graduated from high school on June 1 and was all finished with course work a week before that, so we are in full-on get ready for college mode now. June is my busiest work travel month, so I am far behind in most of cyber-world. Sorry! I did post the graduation pictures on FB so cousins and family and friends could see, but that's about it. Thank goodness for coastwalker and Twocat and all of you who give shout-outs---it helps so much!

I'll go for a run soon just to wake up the legs. I am already at 48 miles for the week and running a half-marathon on Sunday in CT (kiddo will run the 5k there).

And for you ultra-runners out there, check out the latest in ultra-Amy's blog: http://runningrusieckis.blogspot.com/2014/06/gorges-trails-at-cayuga-usatf-50-mile.html

Bronze medal in the US 50mile champs and really close to where you were wildchild!

Good morning RA'ers and fleet feet to all our runners!!

I'm sidelined today with another bout of vertigo -- no likey!!  I felt it starting yesterday morning but still went out for an easy run with my little Maria in the stroller and a friend pushing her 7month old in the stroller ..... held the vertigo at bay for awhile but eventually kept increasing.   Took a non-drowsy dramamine to make it to my niece's graduation mass from h.s. but still feel lousy this morning.  Skipped my running groups hosted run which was really a duathlon today as the host set up a run, bike, run course    I've been told this is all allergy related, but I think it's time to go see a good chiro or PT

denise

''TomW - we've known you're in a different state for a long time so don't try to deny it now.''

tet

.....apparently Denial and Confusion.......

========

...but I digress.....

......34mprnb

deo

...............good running guys..........Whatever State You're In......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  It's a dreary, rainy day here in Lino Lakes, MN...and DW is at an all day daycare training class...which leaves me home with nothing to do but putz on the computer....woo hoo!  I love dreary, rainy days...when DW has an all day daycare training class...

Good luck to all of you with your activities, today.  By the end of the day, C-R might have the most miles covered than anybody.  It's so cool, though, to come on here and see all of you doing such incredible things.

So--do you want to hear a kind of sad story?  Don't worry--it won't make you cry or anything--it's just a "feel sorry for Mike E story".  So--last week, DW told me that an old high school friend called (I'll call him "Jim"...because...well...that's his name) and wanted me to call him.  Now, back in high school--I wasn't a very popular kid--and I always felt like the couple of kids I considered my friends only put up with me to be nice.  So I called Jim and and he told me that he and "Mark" were getting together next week and was was wondering if I would like to join them.  "Of course!" I said.  So, this past Thursday, we met after work and had a few beers.  We got caught up on each others' lives and talked about our old wresting glory days.  I was thinking how nice it was that these guys included me in there little get together and--just maybe--they liked me after all.  Well, after a couple beers--tall ones--Jim told me the story of how he happened to call me.  It seems that he has two guys with my last name in his phone directory and he was actually trying to call the other one.  When DW answered and told him he had the wrong number, he quickly changed it to wanting to have me give him a call...and that's how it turned into an invitation to get together.  Oh...and if that wasn't bad enough.  Mark has a son who just graduated from high school.  He told Jim that he should be expecting an invite in the mail any day....and then he looked at me and said, "And you can come too, Mike."  Yep...those are my two best friends from high school.

Oh--hey!  I have pictures!  With all the schools letting out for the summer, my kids are posting last day of school pictures on Facebook...

Madison and Mallory graduated from 6th grade...

McKenna from 4th grade and Molly from Kindergarten...

Jenna (Weiner) from 5th grade...

Oh...I guess that's all that were posted...well, here's a one of Mikey's twins...

If anymore get posted I'll be sure to pass them along!

Okay--that's all I got...for now

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike - you should have shown those pics to your old high school "friends."

Incidentally, in addition to the number or runners signed up, all the volunteers

probably need to be added to the list of new friends posie'll be making today.

deez - maybe better add a physician to that vertigo list.

CNY - though what's left of me won't let me do it anymore, my mind doesn't know it so I guess/hope I'll be able to keep enjoying ultra postings forever. thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

2.7 miles solo - once again, life is getting the way of my running, but I am now working toward a 20 mile/week goal

CNY - I am way more behind Wink

Tom White - did Tet perhaps mean a different state of mind? and I do mean that in the nicest possible way.

Mike E - I guess that HS cattiness has no expiration date

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

coastwalker

Afternoon, friends!

Not a "cheeseburger in paradise," eh, Holly? I hope your run set you right.

Mariposai, despite the over carbo-loading and the heat, I hope you have a fun race today!

You do have a busy day today, C-R! I hope all the games go well, and that you get in your second 5er.

It sounds more like a recovery morning in your house, CNY! I hope you have a good run, that everyone survives the day, and that you survive your busiest travel month.

I'm so sorry about the return of the vertigo, Deez. I hope you come up with a good, permanent solution to this problem.

TomW, I've often visited the state of confusion! Nice deo workout.

I feel bad for Jim and Mark, Mike because they are missing out on someone who could be a great friend - their loss. Meanwhile, those are phabulous photos of all of the girls and the twins!

Sorry that life is getting in the way of your running, LaT. Those things have been known to happen.

5.25 RW miles a bit past JJ o'clock because we got home from a neighbor's dinner party late, and so I snagged a few extra zzz's before heading out. We had our painted rain barrel auction and rain garden installation today, and both went well.All 8 of the rain barrels sold, and we also got a check from a guy who didn't win a barrel, just because we are "doing good work."

The rain garden starts as a 12" deep hole. We filled each with wood chips, compost, soil and mulch to make a bed that will do a great job of abosorbing storm water. The first photo shows the near bed with the soil amended, and being checked to ensure it is level. Plants are starting to be laid out in the far bed.

Rain garden 1

This photo shows the finished garden. The tube near the back connects to one of the downspouts from the building's gutters, so the roof runoff will water the garden. The rocks in front of the tube will help slow the water flow. The plants are all very water-tolerant, so being inundated won't bother them at all. It took us about 3.5 hours to compete both gardens, and they both look terrific.

Rain garden 2

I came home for a little lunch, and now I have to go spread mulch in my own garden. We have a cedar plank soaking in water, and will be grilling salmon for dinner, there'll be a nice reward for my work today.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Good luck to all who are running and racing today.

Mike E. - I think I lost track of HS friends sometime in the 70-80's so can't really comment.   {Except to say, next time stiff them with the bar bill.  }

Out for 14 miles today in beautiful 60-70F weather.  A little ambitious since < 2 weeks post marathon, but my running buddy is doing another marathon next week - his 5th this year.  Surprisingly the run was one of my best runs this year - everything clicked, temps, muscles, joints, etc.  Overall pace 8:40 something.

Enjoy the weekend.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Mike E

MM #5615

Jay--I should really do that in my yard.  Every spring I have a mushy spot where the swale was placed between my neighbors house and mine.

Shadow--Mark picked up the bill.  They are, actually, a couple of good guys...I actually found the whole thing kind of funny.

Our racers should be finishing their races and checking in soon.  Anybody hear from any of them?

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Jay!  Not so nice going Holly!  You better run well or I will scold you tomorrow.

Nice pics but sad story Mike E.

We took CNYrunner's Hudson, or maybe it was ours, down to South Dallas to take the SAT again so he could possibly bump his previous score up a bit.  He thinks he did.

But while waiting for him we went to a neighboring community college and walked/ran on their jogging path around the campus.  5 total miles, 3 of it jogging at a slow pace.

After the run we ate at a Denny's. I haven't eaten this kind of food in years.  Eggs, sausage, pancakes, a gallon of syrup. Oh my.  Spareribs

C-R, that was a speedy mile for you and Patrick the other day.  Fletch, welcome and post often.  We'll be interested in how your relatively new running career goes.  I ran my first race at the age of 56 in June of 2000 so can relate to someone who hasn't run their entire life.  CNY, you mentioned graduation pictures were posted on FB.  Could you post some here?  deez, sorry to hear about the vertigo.  I hope it is short lived.  Mike, sorry to hear about the high school get together.  I never felt like I fit in my high school years and only have contact with one of my classmates.  On the other hand, those are great pictures of the kids.  Jay, nice garden pictures.  I'm anxious to hear how today's running went for mari and Holly.

Nice long runs for Aamos and shadow.

This morning, it was in the high 50s when I started out and about 70° when I finished.  It was almost calm.  I wanted to do 10 miles as I've only done that once before this year and felt I was long overdue.  It started out a bit hard and stayed that way but I kept plodding along and accomplished my goal at an 11:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R – that is a busy day!

CNYrunner – congrats to your DS!

{{{Deez}}}

Mike – My opinion is that those guys really missed the boat. My DH recently gave me a long lecture explaining to me that I have no real friends at all. This was intended as a way for him to say that he is the only one I can count on in this world, but that’s not what I came away with.

BTW, I love your pictures. Your grandchildren are beautiful, and I can never get enough pictures of those twins. My DD just finished the 6th grade, but they didn’t do a graduation. However, she goes to a middle school that is 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Another thing – how do you post them here?

LaT and Shadow Runner – hiyah!

Jay – what a neat idea!

Ribs – My DS will take the ACT again next week, for the same reason.

TomS – nice 10-miler!

Okay, so while 61 at the start and 79 at the finish don’t seem too terrible, the brilliant sunshine would have made a better day at the pool than a 50K run – it was brutal during the 8 miles you spend running back and forth over the dam, and a couple other spots where you had no cover, but the deep shade of the woods protected more than half of the trails.

This year the trails were mostly dry, and I should really have come in under 6 hours, but just when I got to mile 27, I got a viscous side-stitch that wouldn’t let up. I tried different things, blowing my breath out hard, holding my arms over my head, massaging my side, but still ended up walking most of the next 2-3 miles. Then it eased up and the final mile barely bothered me. So, I ended up with 6:18, which is not to bad but was not as good as I had hoped I would do.

What causes side-stitches, anyway? I had a bad one at mile 24 of the Xenia marathon in April, too.

My friend Carissa came in about 28 minutes ahead of me, and Renee and Tara about 50 minutes after me – their first 50K and newly acquired Maniac status! Renee was fighting bad cramping the last few miles, though – I think she may have been cursing me for suggesting doing this race. But I know she’ll forgive me by tomorrow. 

I tried to post a picture here from FB but it didn't work....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."