Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Your Symphony just called me. (Read 277 times)

It's been 8 years since I've been to a concert at the TPAC. Other than that, I think I donated $25 in 2003 or 2004.

S&M Collector

It's been 8 years since I've been to a concert at the TPAC. Other than that, I think I donated $25 in 2003 or 2004.
      For some reason, my local work phone number is the former number of a gentleman named "Harry Fritz." For quite awhile, I was getting phonecalls from people looking for him....mostly bill collectors. Roll eyes Anyhow, I would often pretend to be Mr. Fritz. One time, I had a construction worker driving in circles somewhere on Shadydale Lane in Hendersonville trying to find my house so that he could give me an estimate on installing new siding. Big grin Poor guy never did find the white house with brown shingles located across from a church. So, one Friday late afternoon, some young guy from the Nashville symphony calls my line, asking if Mr. Fritz wants to purchase another year's worth of tickets for the symphony series. I told him "of course, me and the Missus would love to go again." He sounded so excited because it was a Friday afternoon and he made a big sale before the work week was over! The downfall was that he needed me to provide a credit card number to authorize payment. I told him that I didn't have a credit card and to call back the following week and that I'd sign up for a credit card to put down payment. So, he calls back next week, and I hand him over to my boss. My boss plays the role of Mr. Fritz and says that he knows nothing about ordering tickets for he and his wife and that he is deeply offended because the Missus passed away many months ago! He tells him he's deeply offended that he even called him so soon after her passing. Anyhow, it was hilarious. You had to be there. I felt bad for the guy. Not the best story, I know, and considering the lack of activity in this room hopefully I just killed a thread before it got started. Wink
      Come across any cool medals lately?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude, that was you? My cousin was in town last year trying to break into the music industry and he was working several odd jobs. One was selling tickets to the symphony. MY COUSIN WAS SO DISTRAUGHT AFTER THAT CALL HE PACKED HIS BAGS AND LEFT. He is now a manager at a Wendy's in Kalamazoo, MI. His dreams were crushed and he has an ulcer. You owe him a big apology. Asshat.

S&M Collector

Well, if that's all it took to rattle his cage and send him packing, he would have never made it in the music business. Gotta have thicker skin than that. So, he/you should be thanking me for making him realize it! Big grin
            He is now a manager at a Wendy's in Kalamazoo, MI.
            Unless you have a recording contract, the Wendy's job probably pays more. Especially per hour. Then there are the people in line for a lottery ticket to have a chance to be pre-screened by a producer of American Idol:

S&M Collector

Unless you have a recording contract, the Wendy's job probably pays more. Especially per hour. Then there are the people in line for a lottery ticket to have a chance to be pre-screened by a producer of American Idol:
              Heck, even with a recording contract, you might be making more money at Wendy's! Having a record deal, whether it be with a major or an established indie label, is not necessarily your ticket to success. Part of it is because radio is still the primary exposure outlet and there are so many artists, yet so few that fit into the genre or style that radio is willing to play.
                Heck, even with a recording contract, you might be making more money at Wendy's! Having a record deal, whether it be with a major or an established indie label, is not necessarily your ticket to success. Part of it is because radio is still the primary exposure outlet and there are so many artists, yet so few that fit into the genre or style that radio is willing to play.
                True. Indie record label might make you less money than 20th chair in the orchestra. ...versus 40k-60k and stock options in the restaurant company you work for... hard choice to shatter your dreams. MTA: A friend of mine married a guy who managed one of the top sales volume Paneras. Tough work, but the stock options alone were probably worth the hours worked.
                  You can say that again. I think I made more $$ playing music before I was on Rounder than after I signed with them. Essentially, labels are banks. Their main function is loaning money at insane interest rates to people who are desperate to take the loans.

S&M Collector

You can say that again.
                    OK, thanks for giving blessing. Here goes..... Heck, even with a recording contract, you might be making more money at Wendy's! Having a record deal, whether it be with a major or an established indie label, is not necessarily your ticket to success. Part of it is because radio is still the primary exposure outlet and there are so many artists, yet so few that fit into the genre or style that radio is willing to play.
                      You can say that again. Again.