Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Biking for Dummies (Read 457 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

So I have a question... If I wanted to learn how to bike where do I start?? I have been on a bike once in 15 years. When I was young (I think it was 93) I took a spill down a hill - I flipped over the bike, the bike flipped over me. I chipped my heel and took a gash out of my knee. I was in a cast for couple weeks. Anyway, a couple years later (i was 16) I got on a bike and hte guy I was wish kept trying to ride really close and grab my handle bars even though I told him I was scared. So needless to say that only made it worse. Somewhere over the last couple weeks/months i've been thinking about biking and how it might be fun, but I don't really know where to start to explore that. Any ideas? MTA: and I'm in a whole conquer my fears stage - and this is the biggest one I have...

Why is it sideways?

I learned to ride a bike when I was a little kid. Training wheels. It worked for me, why not for you. The other strategy: Knee pads, hip pads, elbow pads, and a healthy dose of determination.

Oh Mighty Wing

I learned to ride a bike when I was a little kid. Training wheels. It worked for me, why not for you. The other strategy: Knee pads, hip pads, elbow pads, and a healthy dose of determination.
        i probably need to add a bike to that list... does it matter what kind? I learned when I was little - I loved to bike - until the accident - then I got to nervous - and then soo much time passed I'm not sure if i'll still know how to ride a bike.

Why is it sideways?

i probably need to add a bike to that list... does it matter what kind? I learned when I was little - I loved to bike - until the accident - then I got to nervous - and then soo much time passed I'm not sure if i'll still know how to ride a bike.
          Oh, it's easy then. You'll remember quick. I think any old bike would do, but maybe a mountain bike or cruiser would be easiest to learn on. I'd borrow a bike or find one for $20 on craigslist, at least at first until you have it down.
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Long (old) pants, practice on grass. Get a single gear bike to start with if you can. Oh, and a helmet. And maybe have a beer first.

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh, it's easy then. You'll remember quick. I think any old bike would do, but maybe a mountain bike or cruiser would be easiest to learn on. I'd borrow a bike or find one for $20 on craigslist, at least at first until you have it down.
              good call on the CL thing!! I was thinking my dad might have a bike or 2 hanging around - I didn't really want to spend money because what if I hate it!!! haha Michael - good call on the old pants - and i'll probably consider wine - expect that I lack enough coordination as it is!!
              jonsnape

I learned how to ride a bike this summer. It took about 20 minutes. You'll do great.
                  Just go sky diving instead.

Oh Mighty Wing

Just go sky diving instead.
                    sounds good - you gonna go with me??
                      sounds good - you gonna go with me??
                      Yes!

Oh Mighty Wing

Yes!
                        sweet! gimme till the summer - once school is out. I'll come down - we'll go sky diving!
                          Sounds like a plan!

Go hang-gliding instead, and take me with you Smile We could go to Chatty! Oh, and Shan - get a beach cruiser. They're the best!

Oh Mighty Wing

Go hang-gliding instead, and take me with you Smile We could go to Chatty! Oh, and Shan - get a beach cruiser. They're the best!
                              oooohhh hang gliding - I can make another trip for that!!!!!!
                                We can do both, in the same trip.