Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

For anyone who cares... (Read 384 times)

What if you thought of racing fast as a skill, like soccer or basketball. How would your training change?

I'd run fewer slow miles and practice the "skills" of running fast miles. Cross train. Not care if I run some arbitrary number of miles in a year. That's worked in the past.

But then, running a lot of miles like a fool has worked too.

Confusion. Tears. Zorn.

mta: Are you feeling better? I saw you had the grip.

Why is it sideways?

Yep, feeling better now. Just 5 miles today, but it's amazing how different it feels to run when you're not sick.

Back to the states in less than a week. Hope some of you fools will be around to run with, or maybe even share a beer or two.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is what JK said in an email to me about that race

The course was short by about a tenth. Real time probably 40 seconds slower. Still a surprising run considering my massive 15 mile weeks. It's actually got me rethinking a lot of the training mantras I'd previously held sacred. Serious cross-training may be more beneficial than I thought.

Why is it sideways?

Wait: so JK spends two years developing his aerobic system, then spends a year shucking weight and building strength, athleticism, mental fortitude, and self-confidence and then we are supposed to be surprised when he runs fast.

The problem with you people is your goddamn mantras. They get in the way of common sense.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What makes you think he has lost weight, built strength, athleticism and mental fortitude?
              What makes you think he has lost weight, built strength, athleticism and mental fortitude?

I don't know about the others, but his not being here suggests a significant increase in mental fortitude.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Of course, I took 10 days off and ran a PR.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wait: so JK spends two years developing his aerobic system, then spends a year shucking weight and building strength, athleticism, mental fortitude, and self-confidence and then we are supposed to be surprised when he runs fast.

The problem with you people is your goddamn mantras. They get in the way of common sense.

XP.

Jeff has a strong training cycle culminating in a bad race, retreats to another hemisphere and then shows up with THE ANSWERS as if he has found Jesus.

Alright Jeff.  Miles didn't help me either when I got to the starting line tired and on a hot day.  But here is the thing: I like running.  I want to run the miles.  I am NOT flogging my body.  I am running.  And I am trying to believe.

The King of Beasts

i have no idea what the fuck i am doing

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

BMenees

I like low mileage with fast skills practice.  But then my definition of "low" keeps inching up.  And I still don't know what Zorn means.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Join us in Louisville in October and you will learn the true and deep meaning of ZORN!

Why is it sideways?

Alright Jeff.  Miles didn't help me either when I got to the starting line tired and on a hot day.  But here is the thing: I like running.  I want to run the miles.  I am NOT flogging my body.  I am running.  And I am trying to believe.

What makes you think I was talking to you. Wink

What is this "trying to believe"?

And: I'm not saying that I have the answers. I'm just saying that we often forget the QUESTION when we think we've got the answer (run more) all figured out. And that the question is the only thing that can be known. The answer has to be done, and it has to respond to the QUESTION.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Believe: I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.
                            BMenees

Join us in Louisville in October and you will learn the true and deep meaning of ZORN!

I'm already signed up for the Music City Half, which is the same day as Louisville.