Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Moving to Nashville? Looking for input... (Read 385 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

Sorry to crash your mini-swampfest, but JK suggested I post this here. I was hoping for some input from the Nashville folks. DH and I currently live in Memphis. We both grew up in other parts of the country (him - OK, me - MA), met in NC and moved to Memphis to be near his children. We don't like Memphis. High crime, corrupt government, etc. His ex-wife called tonight and she has a job opportunity in Knoxville. It doesn't look like the job market in Knoxville is that great for DH or I so if the ex and kids went to Knoxville, we wouldn't. We've both spent some time in Nashville and really like what we've seen. The job market looks good for me (CPA) and DH would maybe even be able to keep his current job. Can anyone give me some idea about what living in Nashville is like? Good areas to live (and ones to avoid)? Traffic? etc. Thanks! Robin

Robin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wohoo!!! Another Nashvillian Smile I live two miles from Percy Warner Park (the running mecca), which is a fairly easy 7 mile ride to downtown and not far from several business and shopping areas. I work at Vanderbilt, so I drive towards downtown every day. Where you live, ultimately, will be informed by where you end up working, but we have been very happy out on the west side of town. Nashville is a great place to live, with nice parks, good culture (not all Country Music), reasonable weather most of the year (better than Memphis) and lots of good food. We are surrounded by agriculture, so you can get good local veggies all Summer. A lot of people move to Nashville and are surprised at how nice the city and how kind the people are; many end up staying years or decades longer than they expected. When are you coming to visit?
        I suggest moving to West Nashville. Bellevue to be exact. 4 of us on here live there. Casa will probably get on here and tell you to move to North Nashville...don't listen. What does he know? He's from North Dakota. This would be my suggestion of an area not to live. Well, there and Antioch. Don't move to Antioch either. Move to Bellevue. Run in Percy Warner Park, and run there a lot. Just watch out for the monkeys. You'll love Nashville. I do. And I think Memphis sucks. MTA: Trent's answer was similar, but better. Trent...call me.

S&M Collector

I suggest moving to Rivergate area. Perhaps Madison or Inglewood.
          Come across any cool medals lately?
            I suggest moving to Rivergate area. Perhaps Madison or Inglewood.
            As predicted...remember what I told you.

S&M Collector

As predicted...remember what I told you.
              No. I don't remember. Give me a hint, if you'd be so kind. I generally don't listen when you say something.
              Come across any cool medals lately?
                No. I don't remember. Give me a hint, if you'd be so kind. I generally don't listen when you say something.
                I was talking to her. Not you.

My dogs are fast, not me

When are you coming to visit?
                  We've been there twice in the past month. Once for the Southeast Region Swim Meet (my stepson competed in 3 events) and last weekend for a concert at the Belcourt Theater. DH is out therre a lot for work since the state is one of his clients and has spent a lot of time there. If this thing with his ex gets more serious, we'll be planning another trip soon.

Robin

JakeKnight

By the way, when I say Bellevue - I'm including much of southwest Nashville, particularly Belle Meade and Brentwood. Bellevue is expanding rapidly and is by far the best value right now; housing prices are low but they'll climb. (Ask Tanya how much her townhouse has appreciated in a few years). It's really the booming spot in town and not to sound completely dorky, but it's kind of exciting. They're putting in a new mall in the middle of the area, complete with a 30000 square foot library (okay, I like books. Who knew?). We're constantly getting new restaurants and shops now. And did I mention the running? But if you happen to have lots and lots of money, consider Belle Meade and Brentwood. Brentwood is newer money; Belle Meade is old, old money. In both, you'll pay through the nose just for the address. If you happen to be really rich and can find one for sale, you can buy a big old house a couple hundred yards from Percy Warner Park. If you have kids, they say Williamson County schools are better if you're going public. Parts of Brentwood are across the county line. Actually you might consider Franklin, too. Again, might be pricey, longer drive into Nashville, but its really nice. If you want more urban, the Vanderbilt area has some cool spots. If you want really urban, parts of downtown are really making a comeback and they're trying to get people to move in. There are some cool residential buildings there now ... but if you have kids that's probably a no go. Best answer's still Bellevue. Right off I-40, 15 minutes to downtown unless the traffic's horrible. Houses from $130k or so on up to whatever you want to spend. And did I mention the running?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is this new mall of which you speak?
                      JakeKnight

What is this new mall of which you speak?
                        New mall, same as the old mall. But with a library. A big one. I'm very excited.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Once for the Southeast Region Swim Meet (my stepson competed in 3 events) .
                          If kids swimming is going to be part of your Nashville life, you should consider looking at houses close to the practice pool. I have a kid that swims 14 hours a week at outrageous times of the day. I'm very happy that I live only a mile and a half from the Centennial Sportsplex where he practices. Another alternative is the Excel Swim Club which practices at the poll off of Concord Road in Brentwood.....but then you would be in Brentwood, and well, it's not Nashville.
                          JakeKnight

Info? Linky please.
                            Dude. You gotta get in the loop. Believe it or not, there's this thing called "television" and this other thing called "newspapers" and its been all over both of them all week. Check the "Westview" - the local Bellevue paper waiting for you for free at your nearest 7-11. The city council just voted on it. Part of the deal includes $12 million for a new library to go in the place where Dillard's currently sits. Supposed to be open for business NLT Dec. 2010. I assume - not sure - that that means the whole new mall will be done around that time, too.

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh and so not related BUT I saw an IHOP when I was down there... I can't remember where that thread was so I'm letting you know here.