Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Who are you and where are you from? (Read 234 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Share your neck of the woods with fellow PA trail and ultra enthusiasts!

Harrisburg area here.  Lots of surrounding trails such as the Appalachian, Horseshoe Trail, Pinchot Park trails, Boyd Big Tree Preserve, Tuscarora, Darlington, etc.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

aplodder

Susan

Hi.  I'm Susan in Huntingdon County.  Mostly I am a road runner, but I also like to run trails, usually around Raystown Lake.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hi Susan.  I would imagine Raystown would have some great trails.  I have been there once but nothing to do with the trails....I went tubing on the lake.  Very cool place.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

State College area, I live in Boalsburg, close to Tussey Mountain and Rothrock State Forest, where I do most of my miles.

I also run around Shingletown, Whipple Dam State Park, and some of the urban trails around State College.

I had planned on running in the Raystown Lake area, I even got the Purple Lizard trail map, but never made it out there in the summer. I thought I would run on the trails, while the older kids ride their mountain bikes there. The trails seem to be a bit easier than the Rothrock trails (where DD always complains that it is just "too hard"). Now that the middle DS has a new bike, I'm sure he will push me to seek out new trails!

Run for fun.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hi all!!

Im in York But run just about anywhere in the area....

Btw, Jamie, I finally ran 21 miles of Buzzards last weekend with two guys. It kicked all our butts! My legs were just spent from the hills but Rik and the other guys have some minimal injuries causing them tooth to not run this week :/

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hi all!!

Im in York But run just about anywhere in the area....

Btw, Jamie, I finally ran 21 miles of Buzzards last weekend with two guys. It kicked all our butts! My legs were just spent from the hills but Rik and the other guys have some minimal injuries causing them tooth to not run this week :/

Last weekend? Was there snow? I can't remember when we got it now.  It already feels like a long winter.  I want to get out there in the next few weeks - not that kind of distance just yet though. I was near there today - at Boyd Big Tree Preserve - much smaller hills.

aplodder

Susan

Hi Susan.  I would imagine Raystown would have some great trails.  I have been there once but nothing to do with the trails....I went tubing on the lake.  Very cool place.

Hi, Jamie.  I usually run the Allegrippis Trails. -mostly because they're close to home.  Lots of little hills, which I think is fun.  I don't think I'd want to do a super long run on them though.

FTYC, your DS would love the bike trails.  They're very popular with mountain bikers.  Someday, I'm going to run the trails in your area.  So far I've only run on the roads (Nittany Valley Half) and the logging roads.

Trail Monster

Hi all! Sara from the Pittsburgh area here! Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Last weekend? Was there snow? I can't remember when we got it now.  It already feels like a long winter.  I want to get out there in the next few weeks - not that kind of distance just yet though. I was near there today - at Boyd Big Tree Preserve - much smaller hills.

No snow. It was last Saturday when it was freezing and crazy crazy winds.

i think it was mostly so hard on us because we ran the HST 50k the weekend before.

At the time I swore I wouldn't go back but til we were done I was wondering how I would do with some fresh legs.

Happy to see you finally running some! I would love to check out Boyd's sometime. How many miles can you get in there? I think I remember seeing that it is a smaller park?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No snow. It was last Saturday when it was freezing and crazy crazy winds.

i think it was mostly so hard on us because we ran the HST 50k the weekend before.

At the time I swore I wouldn't go back but til we were done I was wondering how I would do with some fresh legs.

Happy to see you finally running some! I would love to check out Boyd's sometime. How many miles can you get in there? I think I remember seeing that it is a smaller park?

I would say it is close to the size of Rocky Ridge so to get any decent longer run (20+) you would have to do loops x2 or 3 but there are some side trails I haven't tried yet. No huge hills like the Buzzards course but enough of a mix of hills, flat, technical, non technical stuff. I may run there this winter because they do plow the drive up to the parking area (or at least to the gravel portion so I can park and not worry about getting stuck whereas some of my fav trails I am trying to figure out how to get there (some roads don't have winter maintenance).

GinnyinPA

Ginny from Chambersburg.  Still a beginner, but I would like to do trail runs if I can find places that aren't really rocky to run.  I've done some trail running on vacation in areas with smooth dirt trails (Georgia and Florida), and it's a lot different from the AT.  I did do a run on the Terrace Mountain trail at Raystown a year or so ago.  Parts of that were great, but maintenance is almost non-existent.

Carl A

Hello, and thanks for starting this group!

My home is near the state's northeast corner.

Near my day-job in Scranton, there are about a billion trails made by ATVs. We've also got some rail-trails and a few parks with some great singletrack.

Looking forward to making 2013 a good year for running and stuff.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

HI I live near Allentown. I'm recovering from spinal surgery but hopefully will be back on the trails or at least back into the ultra world by next year.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hi all, I'm from Philadelphia. I run in the city during the week (too dark for trails) and I usually head to Wissahickon Park for my trail time on the weekends. It's a huge park with tons of trails, located within city limits.

This weekend I'm heading to explore Pennypack park, which is also a large city park with lots of single track trails. It's also  where my first 50k will be held this spring. I'm already excited for the run Smile

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hi all, I'm from Philadelphia. I run in the city during the week (too dark for trails) and I usually head to Wissahickon Park for my trail time on the weekends. It's a huge park with tons of trails, located within city limits.

This weekend I'm heading to explore Pennypack park, which is also a large city park with lots of single track trails. It's also  where my first 50k will be held this spring. I'm already excited for the run Smile

Have fun at Pennypack Park! I've done a couple of races there including Dirty German. Nice park.