Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Who are you and where are you from? (Read 234 times)

jfrejo

Hello, John here just joined the group. I live NE of Philadelphia in Langhorne. I mostly just get to run the single track at Core Creek park when I get a chance to hit the trails or if I visit my parents up in Wilkes-Barre I get out to the 7 tubs area.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

hi all.   I'm Mike, from the south-western part of PA....Greensburg.  I mostly run Boyce Park in Monroeville or the Laurel Highlands hiking trail or the great network of trails in and around Forbes State Forest and Linn Run State Park.

Carl A

HI I live near Allentown. I'm recovering from spinal surgery but hopefully will be back on the trails or at least back into the ultra world by next year.

Here's to your healing, Pam.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Mr. Jody Byram, 51

I live in Jersey, but work in Newtown PA, so I guess that counts.

jfrejo, I sometimes hit core creek park at lunch time, or Tyler park on the weekends.  Lots of trails in Tyler, with actual hills!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Here's to your healing, Pam.

Thanks Carl!

Did I ever tell you that I ended up going to the urgent care the evening after I got home from Viaduct last year? Thought my jaw was broken. Needless to say they cleaned  me up, gave me antibiotics since it was all red and irritated. I told them I had a rock in it but they didn't find it. I found it once I got home.It was a pretty big rock considering it was in my chin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Carl A

Thanks Carl!

Did I ever tell you that I ended up going to the urgent care the evening after I got home from Viaduct last year? Thought my jaw was broken. Needless to say they cleaned  me up, gave me antibiotics since it was all red and irritated. I told them I had a rock in it but they didn't find it. I found it once I got home.It was a pretty big rock considering it was in my chin

I never heard this story before.... Now I bet everyone in this group is going to want to sign up!

In hindsight, I wish now that I'd insisted you go to the hospital in Susquehanna. It's small-town, but I bet they're more experienced at dealing with things like embedded rocks.

Making mental notes for the coming years.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Carl,

Is there going to be a 50 miler this year @ Viaduct and does that fill up quickly?

Thanks.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Carl A

Keeping the 50 is very likely. Everyone enters more quickly year-by-year, but there should still be a week or two for anyone to decide whether to enter any of the distances we're holding.

Marcus from Lancaster. For ultras, I train everywhere, but for ultras and trails, I'm partial to the Conewago when I need a lot of easy miles and the Mt. Gretna trails when I'm looking for something harder.

I've done a few trail ultras in PA: Labor Pains in Reading and the Trails 4 Tails 40 Miler in Hanover. And I'm partial to the Bob Potts Rail Trail Marathon in York, which I did twice, including punching my Boston Ticket there in 2011.

I'm doing the North Face 50 Milers in NY and DC this year, and hope to do my first 100 at the NJ Ultra Fest.

I'm also a Type 1 diabetic and write about it at http://pumprunner.com

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I live in South Jersey and run both on the road and on the trails.  I attend many Pretzel City Sports events because I love the trail running community.   Ive also run in Wissahickon, Pennypack park, and French creek.   All very lovely.

You have to look long and hard to find many trail runners down here (our trail running group has 4 members, sigh).

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                      • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                      • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

AT-runner

Tim

Native of Washington DC, but moved to Gettysburg area 24 years ago.  Switched to trails over 12 years ago and run in and around Michaux Forest.  I use the AT to help connect to other trails or old logging roads in the area.  Iron Master's Challenge is my "home race", and this year the Sole Challenge 24 hour race will be nearby.  The Sole Challenge is a 1.55 loop on a paved path.  Don't know if my legs can handle that much asphalt, but I probably give it a try.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Iron Master's Challenge is my "home race", and this year the Sole Challenge 24 hour race will be nearby.  The Sole Challenge is a 1.55 loop on a paved path.  Don't know if my legs can handle that much asphalt, but I probably give it a try.

I'd hoped to do the Iron Master's Challenge this year but will be doing North Face 50 the following week. I'll see you at the Sole Challenge, but I think I'll be doing just 33.6 in the relay!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Native of Washington DC, but moved to Gettysburg area 24 years ago.  Switched to trails over 12 years ago and run in and around Michaux Forest.  I use the AT to help connect to other trails or old logging roads in the area.  Iron Master's Challenge is my "home race", and this year the Sole Challenge 24 hour race will be nearby.  The Sole Challenge is a 1.55 loop on a paved path.  Don't know if my legs can handle that much asphalt, but I probably give it a try.

AT - ever do the Trail 4 Tails 40 miler? I think that's close to you at Codurus.  I was planning on doing that last year but injury struck.  It's on my radar for this year.  Nice small event.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

AT - ever do the Trail 4 Tails 40 miler? I think that's close to you at Codurus.  I was planning on doing that last year but injury struck.  It's on my radar for this year.  Nice small event.

I help coach XC at Delone HS and we run at Codorus as our home course.  I've rune the trails used for the T4T's but not the race.  Seems to be a small group, which would be nice.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Seems to be a small group, which would be nice.

I ran it last year... Maybe 30 runners and half a dozen relay teams... Very nice low key event. I did get sick of running around the lake due to the camber, but the course all in all had a lot of nice variety. I was also fortunate enough to come in 2nd... most of the fast kids don't have this one their radar, yet, so it's good for the ego. Smile