Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Which PA 100-miler as a first? (Read 133 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'm playing with the idea of running my first 100-miler in 2013.

I am looking at the Oil Creek in October, but I was wondering if there was an earlier race (late spring?) that is more suitable for a first-timer.

Any recommendations?

Run for fun.

Trail Monster

Come to Burning River in Ohio! It's beautiful and much flatter than OC!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

OC is your best bet IN Pennsylvania.  Your only other choices (unless I am missing one) are Pine Creek 100 in Sept (very flat as it is on a rail trail, Viaduct 100 in July - it's not a popular one I suppose because it is 4 out and back loops and in the middle of the summer, and I think maybe a 24 hour run in Philly but that is on concrete.  Are you considering outside of PA? I know you like single track so OC is an obvious choice but you might want to consider other choices (Burning River, Umstead, New Jersey in March).  An interesting one (IMO) is Old Dominion in VA.  It is early June I believe.

Good luck in deciding and keep us informed.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Carl A

Even though I help to organize the Viaduct, I agree that it's not a great first-timer run. Especially if dealing with heat, monotony, and rocks doesn't sound all that fun. Other than those things, though, I maintain that it's a great race! Smile

If I were starting out now, I'd consider going to the Sole Challenge 24-hour and just seeing how many miles I could reach:

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=18741

I've also heard rumors of a free, low-key race in Philly in the spring. I'll post about it here if I hear anything concrete.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Where in PA are you?  Close at all to upstate NJ? https://sites.google.com/site/njtrailseries/njultrafestivalis a nice first 100 miler. It's mostly flat and on mostly non technical trail with a little asphalt. I did the 50 there last spring.

Viaduct is a great race but I agree with Carl. Between the heat and all the rocks. I'm still hoping I'm recovered enough to be able to pace or at least volunteer there this year

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm playing with the idea of running my first 100-miler in 2013.

I am looking at the Oil Creek in October, but I was wondering if there was an earlier race (late spring?) that is more suitable for a first-timer.

Any recommendations?

From what I've heard Oil Creek is a tough first time 100. I was actually hoping to do it this year but that's not happening.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trail Monster

From what I've heard Oil Creek is a tough first time 100. I was actually hoping to do it this year but that's not happening.

Viaduct was my first 100 attempt. The rocks tore me up plus its unsupported. Bring your own crew and pacers and food and everything. I spent more preparing for that race than if I'd just signed up for a supported 100.

I have done the 100k at OC and it is definitely TOUGH! I could not have done another loop.

Umstead is nice if you're willing to travel. It was my second attempt at 100 and where I realized running the same loop umpteen times sucks. Hence why I am going for Burning River this year.

i did course sweep and paced a runner at BR 2012 and loved the course. It's flat for a 100 but not so flat that you don't change the stress on your muscles like Umstead or Viaduct. And it's not tens of thousands of feet of elevation change like at OC. The volunteers were all super amazing and the race director was very nice. It convinced me that the third time might be a charm.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Viaduct was my first 100 attempt. The rocks tore me up plus its unsupported. Bring your own crew and pacers and food and everything. I spent more preparing for that race than if I'd just signed up for a supported 100.

Viaduct was my first and only attempt at a 100 miler. In fact I was the very first woman to finish the 100 miler. I ran with a friend for the first 25 but that was about it for any crewing or pacing. One of these years after I've gotten through recovery I'd like to do a 100 mile race that is supported and have a crew and a pacer. I got my 50 mile race under 9 hours I'd LOVE to get under 20 for a hundred

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have been considering the Burning River 100, but I'm not great in the heat. Sometimes it does not bother me, other times, I suffer from heat exhaustion and won't recover in time.

I did well on the Hyner 50k, which is very technical and hilly, and I loved it. I got a bit bored on my two 50-milers, mainly because the courses were non-technical in both races. At the time, the distance was challenging, but I managed it well (I was well prepared).

Still, the elevation change of the Oil Creek is intimidating. I might look into the Old Dominion, this one would fit into an extended weekend at my in-laws in Maryland.

Thanks for the feedback!

Run for fun.