Pickens County Y Race Team

Racine 70.3 (Read 10 times)

Has anyone done this? It's a Lake Michigan swim which is to say icebergs may used as buoy markers. We were in Zion, IL last summer and the water temp with a wetsuit was unbearable- like 50s!!! I know water temps vary across the lake a good bit, so maybe it's Caribbean near Racine?

pschriver

I have no intention of doing this race. I did Chicago with Theresa a couple of years ago and 50 degree water is too cold for me. It was late August and the air temp was 47. Ironically the water felt warmer than the air, but the entire time, I was miserable. The water will be no warmer than further down the lake unless the sewage from Milwaukee helps warm it up.

Ewe. Racine is out. I hate cold water. Augusta, Raleigh? Probably Raleigh.

ehunter

Josh and I withdrew from Raleigh last year, but I heard nothing but good things about it...except for the smoldering heat - which I don't mind so much - but everything else was very positive.  I want to do a half next year during the summer, and I'm thinking about getting back into this one again.

Augusta.  Its a great race...and I highly recommend.  I enjoyed this race a lot, and the spectator support on the run was unmatched.  Its a great race for the family because they can see you 6-8 times during the run.  I would do this race every year if it wasn't for the timing.

Another one to consider is Eagleman in Cambridge Maryland,  I did this one a few years ago, and if I don't do Raleigh, this may be the one I do.  It is an awesome race - in a beautiful area too.  The bike goes through the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and is spectacular.  Bald Eagles everywhere.  Course is flat as glass.  Negatives:  windy and hot as hades.  It opens in October and the race is June:

http://www.tricolumbia.org/events/?eid=2

There is a REV3 in Williamsburg Va which looks really cool as well.  Might be worth checking out.  Its a June race.

June is booked. I'll be at Lake Geneva- that's why I thought Racine might work. Raleigh is a better time and I don't mind heat.

Any later and we'll be too close to our Hawaii trip. Ain't nothing getting in the way of my surfing Wink

Josh? Raleigh 2014?

pschriver

Raleigh is almost a possibility for me but the timing doesn't fit all that well with Chattanooga. I will probably just do 2 races next year. TriCharleston and IM Choo Choo

Haley, I am using all of Jayce's college money and all of Emry's dentist money to do Chattanooga.  The only other race I might be able to do will be the swamp rabbit 5k ($6.00).

June is booked. I'll be at Lake Geneva- that's why I thought Racine might work. Raleigh is a better time and I don't mind heat.

Any later and we'll be too close to our Hawaii trip. Ain't nothing getting in the way of my surfing Wink

Josh? Raleigh 2014?