Pickens County Y Race Team

Age Groups (Read 6 times)

Hey guys!  Well I decided to do an olympic distance tri this Sunday.  This will be my first race in the 40-44 age group.  I'm thinking that overall, 40-44 is the toughest age group.  Do you agree or disagree?

I wasn't going to do this race--but I called and offered to help clean up afterwards for a discount.  they accepted.  I will be putting away the bike racks.

What is everyone's next race?

pschriver

I always call triathlon a mid-life crisis sport. 40-44 is a tough group but depending on who shows up, the fastest tend to be in their 20s jacked up on testosterone, Skittles and Red Bull. Next up for me is Chattanooga 70.3 in May. It will be short course only after that with a lot of Cycling hopefully

I think the twenties are the most competitive but I haven't experienced the other age groups yet and I'm slow anyway!  It's Chattanooga for me in May!

Lori

tweisner

Congratulations.  Welcome to the 40-44 age group.  It is the toughest until you get to the 45-49 year age group and then that is the toughest age group.  Each age group is challenging.  You think you have a better chance as you age.  Not so.  Now my only hope is to be the only one left competing when I get to my 60s.

Seriously, you do have the fast and furious in the 20s AG.  And you have those slower than the 40s in the 20s AG.  In the 30s, those guys can run a 19 minute 5K and still not place.  That's tough too.  Lots of people in the 40s age groups who put in the training.

I did Parris Island this past weekend.  I didn't do a training plan for that.  I just maintained my fitness with 1 swim, 1 bike, and 3 runs per week.  I was hoping I would finish in the middle of my age group.  Not so.  I was 13 of 16.  However, at last year's race my time would have landed me middle of the pack.  But not this year.  My time was 1:23:40.  Winning time in my AG was 1:04:00.

Overall women was age 43 at 1:03:00 (only one in category)

Master female winners were age 52 at 1:01, age 55 at 1:08, age 45 at 1:08, age 47 at 1:09

45-49 AG top three were 1:04, 1:08, 1:11

And I finished 13th of 16 with a 1:23:40.  Very tough age group at that race.

I think I'm gonna do Anderson Y Sprint in April.

- itri -