Pickens County Y Race Team

New Ironman Race... (Read 11 times)

ehunter

The announcement is coming this week.

I was told I would be disappointed.

It was hinted that the location would be somewhere in Tennessee - not sure if that was a joke or not, but we will see in a day or two!

ehunter

Just took this off of the IM twitter account:

IRONMAN Triathlon     @IronmanTri                <small>2h </small>

Heard the buzz about a new US #Ironman location in the southeast? Stay tuned for the announcement this week! pic.twitter.com/dCf9Alkl42

pschriver

Just stealing a quote "Was working Steelhead this weekend and asked one of the WTC course workers about this. He was pretty certain it was Chatanooga"

Rumours only.

ehunter

Yep, Chattanooga is the location being bantered about.

Chattanooga would not disappoint me...its the timing that disappoints me.  September is a month where I just cannot leave the business.  If the race were in Asheville, then I could manage to get away for race day, the night before and for bike check in the day before....and it would be close enough to get home quickly.  That's my only disappointment.  Chattanooga, MB, HH...too far outside my realm that time of year.  It'll be Louisville for me again next year!

pschriver

I find it a little odd because I had heard that Chattanooga no longer wanted the bike Pro race because it crippled the traffic flow but the IM would shut down the city for the day and almost the whole weekend. Chattanooga is a great town and could use the exposure. I think it will be a great venue.

So do you think it would be a river swim?  point to point?  current?

ehunter

If it ends up being in Chattanooga, I would think they would follow the format of the Waterfront Tri, but I think they will have a portion of the swim against the current.  Or maybe they have found another swim venue.  I don't know.  With the swim being cancelled at the Waterfront Tri this year due to rain and dangerous current/water levels had to catch the eye of IM.  This race, if it becomes one,  has a lot of similarities to Louisville...and oddly enough, it would be just two-three weeks after Louisville and sits about 4 hours from Louisville.

The proposed bike route has been called 'relatively flat'.  Don't know how they figured that out with it being in Chattanooga.  The proposed run is along the river/riverwalk and downtown - probably a 2 or 3 loop run.

The Waterfront Tri is one of my favorite races to do, and I'd love to participate in a Chattanooga IM, but there won't be anyway I'd be able to swing it if its a September/October race..

I'm speculating here, but if Tenn. does indeed get the IM, it will not surprise me if we don't see a new 70.3 come to either MB or HH.

ehunter

I copied this from another forum.  This guy seems to have figured it out through technology.

"Near 100% technological proof that it is chattanooga..

Ironman owns a lot of domains, including these, which are relavent: 
                  ironmannorthcarolina.com
                  ironmansouthcarolina.com
                  ironmanchattanooga.com

they don't own these, but they are registered  - ironmanhiltonhead.com and ironmanasheville.com.

zeroing in on the ones they own.. they all share the same name servers - that's' a clue.. but if you look at the A record for ironmanchattanooga it points to the IP 98.124.198.1  .. this is a proxy redirector..  this is the same one that ironmanlouisville.com, ironmanlakeplacid.com etc  and all other active ironman races all point to..

ironmannorthcarolina.com ironmansouthcarolina.com A record points to 174.143.210.59  which is shared with a ton of other parked ironman domains such as ironmanohio ironmanportland, ironmandorthdakota.. etc  (included a ittle here.. all owned by IM) and these are not in use"

Are there half iron man's available with all iron man races?

Lori

ehunter

The IM brand (WTC) offers half ironman races (70.3's) all over the world, but they aren't done in conjunction with the full IM.  Other race companies, like Set Up events, offer the ironman distance race and usually have a half iron distance ran simultaneously - such as "Beach to Battleship".

If you're looking for a half to do, I would highly recommend IMAugusta70.3 - its a WTC race.  I love that race.  There is another good half ran by Set Up in Charleston in April.  White Lake, also ran by Set Up, is another good half.  Its on the coast of NC.  And then there is the Rev3 Half right here in Anderson in the fall.  Rev3 Puts on good races.

Charleston sounds inviting

Lori

tweisner

I copied this from another forum.  This guy seems to have figured it out through technology.

"Near 100% technological proof that it is chattanooga..

Ironman owns a lot of domains, including these, which are relavent: 
                          ironmannorthcarolina.com
                          ironmansouthcarolina.com
                          ironmanchattanooga.com

they don't own these, but they are registered  - ironmanhiltonhead.com and ironmanasheville.com.

zeroing in on the ones they own.. they all share the same name servers - that's' a clue.. but if you look at the A record for ironmanchattanooga it points to the IP 98.124.198.1  .. this is a proxy redirector..  this is the same one that ironmanlouisville.com, ironmanlakeplacid.com etc  and all other active ironman races all point to..

ironmannorthcarolina.com ironmansouthcarolina.com A record points to 174.143.210.59  which is shared with a ton of other parked ironman domains such as ironmanohio ironmanportland, ironmandorthdakota.. etc  (included a ittle here.. all owned by IM) and these are not in use"

He sounds as though he would fit in nicely around here.  We have the doctor (moonlighting as the YRT SAG volunteer), the agriculturalist (wannabe exercise physiologist), and the PE teacher (still in the closet freelance writer).  So a technology geek would be a nice addition.

- itri -