Pickens County Y Race Team

You're Crazy! (Read 13 times)

tweisner

On the today show this morning, they were talking about the cold weather across the country.  They showed a clip of runner's in Minnesota out for an early morning run.  The guy they interviewed said "The best compliment you can give a runner is...You're Crazy!".

The temps in Minnesota are somewhere around 0 degrees.   I would say they earned the "you're crazy" compliment.

- itri - 

I know, people tell me all the time that i'm crazy for running but I always think the same thing about people who DON'T run.  I mean, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't.  I think I would go crazy.

Lori

pschriver

When I ran by the bank sign in Pickens this morning it said 24 degrees. I ran >8 miles and felt fine. I really think it is easier to run in the cold as long as it is not sleeting or snowing. I've run in the negative degrees before and as long as you dress right, it's not bad. Crazy to me is a 2 hour treadmill run

When I ran by the bank sign in Pickens this morning it said 24 degrees. I ran >8 miles and felt fine. I really think it is easier to run in the cold as long as it is not sleeting or snowing. I've run in the negative degrees before and as long as you dress right, it's not bad. Crazy to me is a 2 hour treadmill run

try a 5 1/2 hour treadmill run!!  or a 6 1/2 hour expresso bike ride.  You haven't lived until you do.

Traci, I will never forget how you cheered me on at that treadmill "finish line"

tweisner

Glad I could be there for the finish!!  That was certainly CRAZY. 26.2 miles on the treadmill.  You earn the compliment of INSANE.

I run in my neighborhood a lot.  There is a lady who sits out on her front porch swing at 5:30 in the morning smoking.  Every time I make the loop and pass her sitting there smoking at 5:30 in the freezing cold,  I wonder if she thinks I am just as crazy as I think she is.

Yesterday, I had to go take care of a ticket I received in October.  As I was waiting on my turn to plead my case, a man came in with a Myrtle Beach Marathon shirt on.  I had just registered for the MB Marathon Relay the day before so the shirt caught my eye.  He sat down beside me and I was about to ask if he had run that race, but I was overcome by the smell of smoke and thought "no, he picked that up at the Goodwill".  And I left well-enough alone.

- itri - 

Ha that's hilarious! Josh- the express bike has to be one of the worst forms of torture I can't imagine 6 hours on it.

Lori

tweisner

Today was our opportunity to get the "You're Crazy" award.  Anybody run outside this morning?

- itri - 

I had to feed and water horses this morning so I figured why not run?   I didn't last long. It really hurts to thaw when you go back inside !

Lori

tweisner

Ding Ding Ding....And we have a winner!!!! That's awesome, Lori.

What time did you run?

I might make you an award to hand out at the Winter Barn Party.

Hope you can make it.

Or better yet, Peter, have your daughter make the award.  She is way more crafty than me!!!!!! Smile

- itri - 

pschriver

Sure, but if she is going to be making awards for everyone that ran in the cold, she will have to make at least 2.

Running on a cruise doesn't meet qualifications of running in the cold . Unless its an arctic cruise.

Lori

pschriver

Running on a cruise is much worse than running in the cold. I was on an 1/8th of a mile track and it took 11 laps to make a mile. The boat would rock back and forth. Going forward my GPS showed 3 min/miles but going back it was closer to 8. Pacing was impossible and the rocking was worse than running drunk. I was dizzy and nauseated the whole time. I am happy to be back running on solid ground although the cold did injure my more sensitive parts.

tweisner

Now when have you been running drunk?

- itri - 

That should be an award in itself... Hope u don't ride your bike drunk too. But I agree, it is weird running on a ship. The best part of being nauseated for me was not partaking in the constant buffet!

Lori

tweisner

A new YRT member, Jared, ran Tuesday morning from the Y at 5am.

It was 8 degrees.

- itri -