Pickens County Y Race Team

Ironman Chattanooga (Read 14 times)

ehunter

WELCOME TO IRONMAN CHATTANOOGA

Chattanooga, Tennessee has been selected to host  the eleventh race in the IRONMAN® U.S. Series. The inaugural IRONMAN  Chattanooga triathlon will take place on Sunday, September 28, 2014.
    "With the rapid growth of triathlon in the Southeast, it is the perfect time  for us to expand and add IRONMAN Chattanooga to our 2014 event  calendar," said Andrew Messick, Chief Executive Officer of IRONMAN.  "We selected Chattanooga as it is a beautiful city and a premier outdoor  sports destination. We are thrilled to bring IRONMAN here and to partner with the city to deliver a top level event."
    One of more than 30 events in the global IRONMAN Series, IRONMAN Chattanooga leads athletes through a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run on a course  that utilizes a variety of Chattanooga's scenic areas. The race will  start with a single loop 2.4-mile swim through the Tennessee River with  ample spectator vantage points alongside Chattanooga's famous Riverwalk. The bike will be a two-loop 56-mile course with scenic farmland and  mountain views. The two and a half loop 26.2-mile run course will  showcase beautiful downtown Chattanooga, the South Side, Riverview and  the North Shore. Athletes can expect a fast, rolling course with  friendly sights and faces along the entire run.

General Registration to open September 4, 2013: www.ironman.com/chattanooga

_760x320

I prefer this course description for one specific reason:

IRONMAN Chattanooga will begin with a single-loop, 2.4-mile swim in the Tennessee River with ample spectator vantage points alongside the city's famous Riverwalk. Athletes can look forward to fast splits on a downstream course. The bike will be a two-loop, 56-mile course with scenic farmland and mountain views. The two-and-a-half loop 26.2-mile run course will showcase beautiful downtown Chattanooga, the South Side, Riverview and the North Shore. Athletes can expect a fast, rolling course.

I hope that turns out to be true.  I just may have to dust off the American Express card for this one.

after reading the course description, I think i'm going to have to register.  it sounds awesome:

Swim

The point-to-point swim in the Tennessee River will start 2.4 miles upstream of transition. Athletes will enter the water with a rolling start off of a barge set up specifically for this event. Spectators will have the opportunity to watch the entire swim as they walk alongside the swimmers on the Chattanooga Riverwalk. Athletes will exit the water at the beautiful Ross’s Landing Park. The water temperature will be in the mid-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Bike

The bike course takes riders 11 miles south of town before beginning two 45-mile loops in north Georgia. Athletes can expect incredible views as they parallel Lookout Mountain on this rolling course with great road surfaces. As athletes near the end of the loop, they will get the opportunity to ride through historic Chickamauga. The 112-mile course has approximately 2,100 feet of climbing.

Run

Athletes will have a chance to see the Scenic City as they complete two loops through downtown Chattanooga, the University of Tennessee Chattanooga, Veterans Bridge, North Shore, Walnut Street Bridge and the beautiful Riverfront Parkway. The final stretch will bring athletes up Broad Street for an incredible finish in front of the Tennessee Aquarium. Total elevation gain for the run is around 700 feet.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga/course.aspx#ixzz2c3rxiONj

ehunter

Yep, out of all the dates in September, they pick the only one that I may possibly be able to make work out - it was rumored to be Labor Day weekend or the weekend after.  But it comes at the exact time our plugs reach finishing stage and deliveries begin.   Training in September would be challenging for me, although half of September would be in taper mode.  I might be able to swing this.  Certainly gonna try.

I'm surprised by the point to point swim.  I expected at least a portion of upstream.  Add this to it probably being wetsuit legal and it could shave a few minutes off of your time.

The bike description says "2100 feet of climbing".  IM has a history of lowballing this number to not scare anyone away.  I've heard from some locals that the number is very low, and that the actual climbing data will be over 5000 feet.  IMs bike description of Louisville is about half of what it actually is, as is Coeur d'Alene.

The rolling run course should be challenging as well.  The finish area in front of the aquarium should be awesome.

It won't be an easy course for sure, which excites me.  I think it will be very similar to Louisville minus the heat and humidity.

ehunter

Interesting piece of info:  I was told today that Greenville was in the running for this race.  they submitted their bid earlier this summer.

pschriver

It looks like I may be parked in front of my computer Sept 4 trying to get into this race. Just based on the number of people who have said they were signing up I think this may sell out fairly quickly. Anyone else definitely in?

ehunter

Yep, I am.  I don't think it'll sell out within minutes - maybe a day or two - but you never know.  However, after this first year, I expect it to be like Florida, Wisconsin, Placid - meaning if it even makes it online, it'll only last a few minutes.  Having said that, I'll be online when it comes open to be safe.

I've already booked a room in Chattanooga for the weekend of the race.  I heard some speculation that "The Chattanoogan" is a good candidate as the host hotel , so I went online as soon as it was announced and booked my room.  Within an hour, the hotel closed down taking any reservations on orders of the city for that weekend.   I got a good rate, but their was a disclaimer on my reservation that rates are subject to increase.  I wanted something a little closer to the transition area, but Doubletree and The Hilton weren't taking reservations that far in advance.  Anyway, the hotel is about a mile from transition and the finish, so when the hotels that are closer open up for reservations, I'll look into those and cancel the one I have if need be.

I'm thinking that The Marriott will be the host hotel because its connected to the Convention Center, and that's probably where the Ironman Village will be set up.  I hope the city and its hotels doesn't fall in line with other cities and demand minimum 6 night stays and raise their rates through the roof.

I am really excited about this race.  I am going to rest my knee (almost completely) for a couple months so i can start training gradually for it.  The greenville sprint  definitely re-aggravated it.  Chattanooga or bust!

ehunter

Josh is so excited, he is even inviting his family to Chattanooga for the race.  Here is a family photo just after he told them the good news - they are obviously as excited as Josh is:

Photo