Pickens County Y Race Team

Favorite Training? (Read 9 times)

Ok, please share you favorite training session.

Lately, mine has definitely been grass hills repeats

I love running or biking to a grass hill and doing repeats, then run/bike home.

running downhill on pavement can't be good, thus the grass.  plus running uphill in grass is tougher.

I also like to do a few variations:  1)  backpedal up the hill  2)  do stop and go up the hill (accelerating is the hardest part)

3) exaggerated stride length (really works those glutes) and 4) small steps on toes (calves)

Also, at the bottom of the hill do some shuffling (lateral)

I don't do this as much as I'd like, but when I do, I know I got a good workout!  You definitely feel it.  So I recommend it!

your turn, what do you like?

tweisner

Right now my favorite training is working with Bill Boney at the Caine Halter YMCA.  I am going for 1 hour sessions twice a week.  He has me doing lots of different strength training activities that I have never done before.  I like not having to think about what I'm going to do.  I just show up and do what he tells me to.  Everything we do is great for runners.  And one day, I'm gonna start running. 

Once I do start running, he talks of having me do some short sprints up a hill.  Sounds similar to what you have described on the grassy knoll.

I also plan to run for 10 minutes or so on the soccer fields barefooted every so often.

Josh, do you have another event coming up anytime soon?

- itri - 

A LONG run with hills and flats to incorporate both speed and endurance.  I'm beginning to like the buzz after a fartlek session too!

Lori

Working that vo2 max... Give my whole heart to sprints 400-800m x 8 rounds with a lower body fatiguing excercise in between- air squats, box jumps (be careful!), step-ups, lunges... Kill those legs. Sprint again. Embrace the suck. Smile

pschriver

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite. I think the w/os that benefit me most are the endless ones but I really like the long monotonous climbs on my bike. During the winter, my basement Vo2 max Spinnerval sessions are nice. 10 sec at 100% with 50 sec rest x 12  and 90 sec 100% with 90 sec rest x7 both take around 30' and leave me in a pool of sweat. I have grown fond of the trainer because it is safe and I can use it in any weather. I have 2 wide screen TVs connected to my computer. One screen plays the w/o video while the other graphs my data real time. I have another screen for Theresa in case she wants to watch a movie but it doesn't get much use

Traci, to answer your question:  I am planning on doing a couple sprint tris that I got free entries for (volunteered at other races).  They are at the lake behind my house, so that makes it convenient.  My friend is trying to talk me into doing the Savannah marathon in the fall.  I like the idea of doing it, but I'm not ready to train for a marathon right now.

To be honest, my training has been pretty slack, but that's alright.  summer is coming!

What is next for everyone else?

Peter, your trainer in the basement with the TV hooked up and workout data display sounds a lot like the Expresso bikes at the Y!

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite. I think the w/os that benefit me most are the endless ones but I really like the long monotonous climbs on my bike. During the winter, my basement Vo2 max Spinnerval sessions are nice. 10 sec at 100% with 50 sec rest x 12  and 90 sec 100% with 90 sec rest x7 both take around 30' and leave me in a pool of sweat. I have grown fond of the trainer because it is safe and I can use it in any weather. I have 2 wide screen TVs connected to my computer. One screen plays the w/o video while the other graphs my data real time. I have another screen for Theresa in case she wants to watch a movie but it doesn't get much use

Omg josh u need to do the savannah marathon.  It's awesome and the city is too! I did it 2 years ago and if you do you need to stay at the Bohemian hotel on river st.  Awesome tapas and view at their rooftop bar Rocks on the Roof.  I could go on for days about savannah...

Lori

Omg josh u need to do the savannah marathon.  It's awesome and the city is too! I did it 2 years ago and if you do you need to stay at the Bohemian hotel on river st.  Awesome tapas and view at their rooftop bar Rocks on the Roof.  I could go on for days about savannah...

Cool Lori!  very tempting.... I'm going to have to strongly consider it.