Pickens County Y Race Team

Thanksgiving Day run (Read 11 times)

Hey Tracy,

You mentioned a run on Thanksgiving morning.  Do you have definite plans yet?  Last year 10 of us did that and they want to do it again so I was just wondering if we could plan on doing it all together.  That group is NOT a 5:00 am group though, especially on a holiday!

tweisner

I was thinking along the lines of 7am Thanksgiving Day.  Meeting at Michael's Pizza and doing the Christmas Cruise route.  How does that sound?  Feel free to throw out your ideas.  Is 7 too early?  And if anyone wants to do more they can always do the route twice, etc.

Also, Cindy M mentioned you and some friends are doing the MB Marathon Relay.  Who all is participating?  A couple of my friends and I had thought about that but decided just to each do the half.  Sounds like a lot of YRT folks will be doing something in MB.  That's great.

- itri - 

Im still on the fence whether to do the turkey trot in gvl but I will def join y'all if I don't !

Lori

pschriver

I'm kinda leaning towards the TT in Gvl. My brother and a couple of friends are coming into town that weekend and wants to race. Doesn't work into my training plan very well but that's life.

I can try for 7:00 that day, I will check with them.  Last time we met at the Y and did the Christmas Cruise route but it was a tad hilly!  We were talking about maybe 4 or 5 miles.  I had planned to do the TT in Gville as well but when everyone started asking me if we were going to do it at the Y again I figured I would just do that.  Saves time and money and running with friends is more fun to me than racing (any day!).

We do have a team of five doing the MB Marathon.  I've done the 1/2 before and thought this would be something different and a fun girls weekend.  The team consists of myself, Tallie Blackwell, Jennifer Owens (YRT member), Rebecca Anderson and Nori Morgan.  All Y girls.  We start the 10K Furman FIRST training plan this week.  I've done their training plans before and they are TOUGH!

mrussell

Gotta Run Clemson has a 5K Thanksgiving Morning. The entry fee is 3 canned goods and it goes off at 8 am. It's not an officially timed race though.

tweisner

Yall started at 8 last year, right?.  8:00 is good.  We can do that.  The only route that is not hilly around the y is straight out to Hardees and back on Main street.  That is about 4 miles.  I liked your idea last year of 1 mile to Christmas Cruise route and then run the route and run the one mile back to the Y.  But I'm up for whatever.  I'm with you...running with friends is fun.  You wanna just say 8am?.  Let me know what route yall want to do and I will send out the mass email so folks can make plans if they want to join in.

- itri - 

tweisner

Oh and I have been reading the Run Less Run Faster book put out by the Furman First guys.  I have been looking at the half plan they have in the book.  It is tough.  And I haven't even done one day of the training.  Just reading about it is tough.

Are ya'll doing that 10K plan individually or do ya'll hook up and run thru the week or on the weekends together?

- itri - 

You have a much better memory than I do!!  8:00 am for 5 miles sounds great!  I will spread the word.

I followed that 1/2 marathon plan several years ago and it was challenging but really made me faster.  Unfortunately, that was my first 1/2 and I ran the first 10 miles waaayyy faster than I should have and my IT band acted up for the first time ever forcing me to WALK the final three.  I was heart broken but learned many lessons through that experience.  The training was excellent, I just screwed it up at the race.

We usually run Monday or Tuesdays together and then Fridays and Saturday or Sunday depending on everyones weekly schedule.  You are welcome to join us anytime.  I'm sure we will do our long runs on the weekends.  I like to have a schedule to follow when training for a race to keep me accountable.

That Clemson run sounds good too.  That's a neat idea to bring canned goods.  My running group is mostly people from the Wren area so getting them to Easley is hard enough!

pschriver

Not to shift the topic but the first plan is really designed for young, experienced runners. The major disadvantage is the risk of injury. Josh had one of the guys who designed the plan speak last year. We might be able to get him back this year but we need to make sure we have great participation

Not to shift the topic but the first plan is really designed for young, experienced runners. The major disadvantage is the risk of injury. Josh had one of the guys who designed the plan speak last year. We might be able to get him back this year but we need to make sure we have great participation

Soooo what are you saying Peter??  Is this a hit on my age???  Because I am experienced!  Joking

tweisner

I completely agree that it is for experienced runners.  But, in the book, they show every pace imaginable.  So the plan can be done at any pace making it workable for any age person, I think.  And you don't just pick your goal pace...you train at the pace of your current fitness level.  That is extremely important to keep in mind.

Also, speaking with Eric Stone this morning at the Y...he mentioned that he is doing the First marathon plan for MB.  Everyone's common phrase...ITS TOUGH!

And who did Josh have to speak?  I don't remember that.

- itri - 

pschriver

Soooo what are you saying Peter??  Is this a hit on my age???  Because I am experienced!  Joking

No age jokes, especially considering I have just about everyone beat in that department. The comment I made was more for the "boot camp" "no pain, no gain" people. I honestly believe that the "run often, mostly slow, sometimes fast" programs (BarryP) are better for people in the long run  with less risk of injury. Some of the cross country coaches are using this with great success. In reality it doesn't matter what you do, just do something.

pschriver

I completely agree that it is for experienced runners.  But, in the book, they show every pace imaginable.  So the plan can be done at any pace making it workable for any age person, I think.  And you don't just pick your goal pace...you train at the pace of your current fitness level.  That is extremely important to keep in mind.

Also, speaking with Eric Stone this morning at the Y...he mentioned that he is doing the First marathon plan for MB.  Everyone's common phrase...ITS TOUGH!

And who did Josh have to speak?  I don't remember that.

I don't remember who Josh had to speak, but I do remember it was somebody who had written a running book and pushed the FIRST program. I tried the program and realized it wasn't for me.

We are gonna try it with the understanding that we can adjust it if needed  Smile

I can't run any more often so my three days need to be a little tougher.  With teaching 5-8 classes a week and trying to swim and bike ... I have to focus on quality over quantity on my runs.  I love having a day or two off in between my runs ... that way I never dread a run, I'm usually ready for the stress relief!