Pickens County Y Race Team

I did something I've never done before and I liked it (Read 8 times)

Guys! Guys! I've been moonlighting at CrossFit. OK. More than moonlighting. I actually love it!  Anyway, I signed up for a power lifting competition back in December because I'm getting old and I want to collect as many athletic experiences as I can before my hips go out and other weird stuff starts to happen.

I competed yesterday with a handful of other CFE women. It WAS AMAZEBALLS! If you've never seen a 150# man back squat 600# then I urge you to check it out! Weightlifting, schmatelifting...It's not everyone's bag for sure, but their athleticism is undeniable. And amazing.

Anyway, I no-repped each of my back squat attempts because I was a train-wreck. My nerves were so bad- I thought I was going to blow my protein drink all over the judge. He would have hated that, probably. And it would have only aided in the embarrassment I was already feeling wearing a stupid wrestling singlet. Stupid singlet.

Back squat. Fail. But I still had bench and deadlift. Cool.

I no-repped my first bench press because I didn't follow the rules and wait for my commands...oh. Whoops. At his point I'm fairly certain everyone in the crowd was like, "Um. Go home." The next two went smooth and I was finally on the board!

Deadlift next. I opened at 235#. Easy. 250# Easy. My next lift was a PR at 270#. EASY!

I was moved to the Push/Pull category because of the squat fiasco and ended up taking first place in my weight class. Excitement!

Will I do more...dunno. I'm not strong like bull. More like, strong like a really powerful mere cat. The alpha mere cat. And I'm cool with that, you know.

pschriver

Congratulations,

I'm not 100% sure power lifting is the best way to preserve your hip joints but if you enjoy it , Rock On.

tweisner

Awesome, Haley,  Congrats.  Let us know if you sign up for another one.  I'll come cheer you on.  And maybe then I will know what the heck you are talking about.  Bench squat back press power lift dead beat - what?

I'm still trying to understand speed work, tempo run, long run, kick, pull, stroke, cadence, tri kit, etc...

- itri - 

Haley, I can't picture you having a "squat fiasco" in a singlet, but it sounds cool.  I don't think I could dead lift 270lbs.  I'm impressed!

From now on if anyone angers you during a tri, you can just find them in transition and lift them and their bike over your head and throw them into the porto potties.

Josh, that was my plan all along. I'm taking up shotput next because I really need to work on my distance.

The state and national totals have been tallied...

NC state record for deadlift in weight class

National record for deadlift in weight class

Never thought I'd say those words. Happy day!

pschriver

I guess the competition was in NC? I saw a Lizard Lick Towing episode where the female (Amy I think) was the N. Carolina power lifting champ. I would guess she is several on weight classes heavier than you.

The state and national totals have been tallied...

NC state record for deadlift in weight class

National record for deadlift in weight class

Never thought I'd say those words. Happy day!

WOW Haley, you hold a national record???? you must be one proud white woman!!!!!!