Pickens County Y Race Team

Good nutritional advise (Read 13 times)

pschriver

I didn't go to Barleys although I wanted to. I drove to the winery and then home

r/t nutrition for the half ironman - what should I eat the week before the race and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday AM? We are staying at a B and B and they take requests and cook according to what you want/they say they are used to triathletes staying there. I just don't really know what to request ahead of time so that I'm not making pitstops!  I talked to nikki M. and she said I definitely need to eat breakfast the morning of the race....Just wondering if I should eat big Saturday morning and then eat lighter Saturday evening.

Lori

pschriver

I would eat just like you normally would. Assuming you eat a 1/2  decent diet. Try to avoid anything odd the night before. You won't really help by eating something "special" but you can really mess things up by bloating yourself. You will be on the course for between 5-6 hours so you definitely need to take in calories. about 150-200/hr is probably fine for you. I do about 250. Now is the time to get your nutrition figured out. Long rides and long runs will let you know what you can or can't tolerate

r/t nutrition for the half ironman - what should I eat the week before the race and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday AM? We are staying at a B and B and they take requests and cook according to what you want/they say they are used to triathletes staying there. I just don't really know what to request ahead of time so that I'm not making pitstops!  I talked to nikki M. and she said I definitely need to eat breakfast the morning of the race....Just wondering if I should eat big Saturday morning and then eat lighter Saturday evening.

just my personal opinion: I wouldn't eat light on Saturday night like you mentioned.  I would eat a big healthy dinner, just eat it early.  Like 4 or 4:30 PM.  Then wake up really early race day and make sure you sit on the can and get that big dinner out!

For sure eat breakfast Sunday morning.  Also spend much of Saturday sipping on water and staying off your feet.

Ewww! But true, that can be an issue when going out of town lol. I guess I need to start testing foods during long workouts but I've never been one to eat or drink much while running and on the bike that could be even harder!

Lori

pschriver

Eating on the bike is easy once you get used to it. Just find a calorie rich food you like. Gummy Bears work good for me. Payday candy bars. Peanut butter crackers or small sandwiches. If you can tolerate Gels, they work fine also.

tweisner

Regarding "The Slayer", is there a less expensive option?

I take what you said to mean these last 30 pounds will require lots of hard work.  Not that he isn't working hard, he is.  But maybe more intense.  Much like what the, let's say, 6-8 weeks are for The Biggest Loser Contestants.  Strict diet and heavy training.  Finding the right diet and someone to help him or push him with workouts.  Is that what you mean?

Is there a local option?  Like a personal trainer?  or can it be done on your own?

- itri - 

pschriver

Regarding "The Slayer", is there a less expensive option?

Yes, it can be free

I take what you said to mean these last 30 pounds will require lots of hard work.  Not that he isn't working hard, he is.  But maybe more intense.  Much like what the, let's say, 6-8 weeks are for The Biggest Loser Contestants.  Strict diet and heavy training.  Finding the right diet and someone to help him or push him with workouts.  Is that what you mean? Sort of. Consistency is the key.

Is there a local option?  Like a personal trainer?  or can it be done on your own?

I did it, and would suggest doing it on your own. Some people need the extra hand holding. My biggest issue with "Nutritionist", personal trainers, etc is they want you to follow their plan. It doesn't really matter what you do, you just have to find something you like, and do it. It would be nice if her/she kept a 1 month log of what they ate and the amount of exercise they did and shared it. The least valuable number to look at is weight. Body fat measurement with a Dexa Scan would help also

pschriver

We probably need to start a new thread about weight loss and one about HIM/IM nutrition. I don't like talking about cutting back on calories in one post followed by gobbling down Gummy Bears in the next.

tweisner

Now I"m confused.

Consistency is not an issue.  Jared is very consistent.

And he does tons.  He has found things he likes to do and is doing them 7 days a week.  He follows a healthy diet.

He has been doing it on his own for almost 2 years.  But for the past 6 months at least he has not been able to loose any more weight.  He has had a well check with blood test, changed his routine up, and made more strict changes to his diet.  So he's just stumped.

Ok so I think you just said he needs to write down what he eats and his amount of exercise and share that here.

Is that right?

- itri - 

pschriver

That would be fine. He can even hide his logs and share them privately. There has to be an issue. It is not magic, it's physiology

Has anyone tried bonk breakers for energy on long runs/rides? It's what they are having at the IM events.

How often during the 70.3 should I take in calories and what type of calories?

I found some gu electrolyte tabs that you mix in your water that are good on my stomach .

fyi academy has gi chomps and clif blok on sale

Lori

pschriver

A lot of people just eat what they have on the course. At your size you probably need 150-200 cals/hour. The website usually will tell you what is available. It is usually based on sponsors. They usually have gell packs, water, and Gatorade on the bike for a 1/2. On the run it is gells, oranges, bananas, pretzels water, flat coke and Gatorade.

I like Payday candybars, gummy bears, gells, peanutbutter crackers, water  and Gatorade on the bike. I take whatever on the run.

Just make sure you practice eating on the bike during your long rides. You want whatever you use to be easy to open

The electrolyte tabs are fine if they don't upset your stomach. Most of them don't offer any calories. You can only take in and absorb a limited amount on a stressed GI tract so you don't want to take in hypertonic low value items. Nothing you take in will magically make you go faster or perform better but some items can make you miserable.

Bonk Breakers are fine but don't taste very good to me. Gummy bears are cheaper and taste better IMHO. I won a couple of cases of Power Gells at a race and was pleasantly surprised at how good they tasted. I would just suggest picking up several different brands and seeing what you like and can tolerate. Look at the calories and try to take in 600 cals on a few long training rides.

I did get an e-mail about the race and assume you did also. It may mention what type of nutrition is available

pschriver

I just looked at the e-mail, it looks like Gatorade Endurance products. If you plan to use what is provided on the course you should pick some up now. If you are planning on using your own stuff just start practicing with it

yeah I saw that but the website said bonk breaker too, I will just try a variety.  I need to start practicing with it because I normally don't eat riding/running.

and I talked to nikki M. and she gave me a GU roctane gel to try but I seem to have stomach issues with gels.

Lori