Pickens County Y Race Team

anderson sprint (Read 10 times)

tweisner

Check out the forecast I just read for tomorrow:

Showers and thunderstorms likely before 9am, then a chance of showers between 9am and 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am.  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Southwest wind 6 to 14 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms

oh dear

Hartwell is an open water swim.  You would probably enjoy watching the Clemson race.  It will let you know what Hartwell will be like.  Clemson is a 750m swim, 11 mile bike, and a 5K.

- itri - 

pschriver

I have never done an open water swim but I was a competative swimmer from age 7 to 18 so nothing to do with water really scares me. I am weakest on the bike. I just purchased my bike and I have never had extremely strong legs. I did 16 miles yesterday then took a 5 min break then jogged a 5k but slow pace. Yesterday did not seem to be a good day, no speed. I don't know if the YDam Tri in Hartwell, Ga is an open water or pool. It is 750m though. I may come down to Clemson and cheer you on tomorrow.

Not to jump in but I have heard " I was a competitive swimmer from age 7 to 18 so nothing to do with water really scares me." only to see someone completely freak out in open water. I would suggest at least one open water swim before race day. I am sure Y dam tri is open water. Almost every race over 500m would be too crowded to do in a pool plus they run an Olympic the same day and that has to be open water.

You don't have to have strong legs to be a cyclist. You just have to fine tune them. The best way is riding as often as you can. Don't worry about speed just put in as many miles as your time allows. Consistency is the key and you will get fast. If you ever feel like riding is a group let me know. I will try and set up some rides leaving from the Pickens Y on relatively safe roads

tryingtoimprove1

What do you think the biggest challenges are to an open water swim VS. pool swim other than water temp?

pschriver

I think the biggest issue people have is they can't see in the lake. Navigation is an issue for some people because there is no black line. I think some people freak out because they stroke and stroke but don't feel like they are going anywhere. Also in the pool there are no wakes. Waves,  current and body contact can really disrupt your stroke. When it is really wavy you have to roll father to breath or even be forced breath on your opposite or "bad side". I don't want to scare anyone but I know a couple of very good swimmers who can't/won't do open water swims. You may not have any problem at all, but race day would be a bad day to find out.

tryingtoimprove1

Thanks! I will do an open water before race day. The Y Dam is June 29th so I have time to sneak 1 or 2 in. The turning more to breath in the turbulent water would def make it harder. Did you say you guys swim wed evenings? i will try to jump in on one of those. Thanks again.

pschriver

Yes. Wed. Read the open water lake at lake Hartwell thread for more info but basically it is at 5:00 and 5:30 on Weds at the Clemson rowing club site. I also will go on a Mon, Thurs, Fri or Sat morning depending on my work schedule. When I am alone I go to Y-beach.

I will also take my bike and go for a short ride after the Wed swim occasionally. I had to ride by myself this past Wed because Traci flaked out on me.

tryingtoimprove1

Darn it Traci! LOL

tweisner

You are so right, Peter.  Beth and I discussed bringing our bikes.  We were too nervous about our swim and didn't think we would want to bike after we got done.  Of course, after seeing EVERYONE there with their bikes, we wished we had brought them.

What's different about a lake swim?  For me:

no black line to keep me straight

current making me drift

looking up to see if you are still going in the right direction

water splashing in your mouth as you imagine the bacteria you are taking in

goggles fog and you have to stop in the middle of the lake that has no bottom and wipe them out

felt and looked like I was going nowhere

dizzy when I got out.

It was fantastic.

Also, Peter...we should do a group ride.  Throw out some times and let's pick one.

- itri - 

tryingtoimprove1

I will do one of these wed swims with you. I may have sounded arrogant by saying the water does not scare me and I may have to eat some crow after the swim. LOL