Pickens County Y Race Team

Planning for 2016 (Read 5 times)

I think I will do the whole half lol.  I haven't heard any more from cindy about it.

Lori

tweisner

You should.  You can do it!

- itri - 

pschriver

I think I will do the whole half lol.  I haven't heard any more from cindy about it.

Whole half is an oxymoron?

FWIW, my understanding is they are not offering a full this year. I think Lori means she will do all three segments of the half iron distance which would be 70.3

tweisner

My weather app shows a chilly 36 degree overnight low for Friday night/Sat morning.  So do you still ride on those mornings at 9am?  Just getting a feel for this winter riding thing.  I usually prefer 80 degrees.

- itri - 

Right I think I'm doing the whole half instead of the relay.

Traci Cindy's group is riding at 10, I'll prob start at nine to get two loops in !  Bundle up!

is anyone planning on a turkey trot?

Lori

tweisner

i will be at the Gotta Run Turkey Trot!

And Starbucks after!!!

- itri - 

tweisner

In my opinion, this is why at this point in time our Tri the Ridge triathlon would average 50 or so participates if we were to bring it back.  And its why the numbers went down.

Many of you are aware of the fact that Set Up Events has been producing triathlons since 1994. We've seen races that we started from scratch grow from inception to fields of well over 1000 participants. We lived through the years not too long ago when selected races sold out the first day that registration opened. A number of triathlon veterans remember the New Year's Eve parties where people would make sure they would have access to the internet at Midnight in order to get into certain races.

Those days are gone - the simple fact is there are many more races than there were only seven years ago. Since 2008 the number of triathlons has tripled! Over that same period, the number of triathletes has continued to increase each year, but the growth rate is now down to a modest 2-3% per year. It's a buyers market - and that's good news for you the consumer.

- itri - 

pschriver

In my opinion, this is why at this point in time our Tri the Ridge triathlon would average 50 or so participates if we were to bring it back.  And its why the numbers went down.

Many of you are aware of the fact that Set Up Events has been producing triathlons since 1994. We've seen races that we started from scratch grow from inception to fields of well over 1000 participants. We lived through the years not too long ago when selected races sold out the first day that registration opened. A number of triathlon veterans remember the New Year's Eve parties where people would make sure they would have access to the internet at Midnight in order to get into certain races.

Those days are gone - the simple fact is there are many more races than there were only seven years ago. Since 2008 the number of triathlons has tripled! Over that same period, the number of triathletes has continued to increase each year, but the growth rate is now down to a modest 2-3% per year. It's a buyers market - and that's good news for you the consumer.

Where did you find this? I agree, the number of races makes a difference. I don't agree that it is good for the consumer as prices seem to go up. Better races will be well attended but entery-level races seem to be harder to find. It's going to be interesting to see it Mountains to Main can compete with IM Chatanooga or IM Hilton Head. Price wise, there is no comparison. I must admit, IM New Orleans 70.3 was logistically the worse race I have attended. It truly must be the location to attract as many participants as it does

tweisner

It was in a Set up Events email.  I will forward it to you.

- itri - 

Someone at the trail head yesterday told me that they had practically trained all year in hopes of doing our tri the ridge as their first tri.  (He said he went pretty much from the couch into learning how to swim/bike/run)  He was very disappointed that we didn't get to do it.  I told him that I was disappointed too; as it was my first one and it takes a lot to put yourself out there for the first time (and every time) amongst all of those elites! I think our triathlon is great for newbys and seasoned triathletes alike.  I understand the hoops we have to jump through to make it happen but I wish we could find a way for 2016!

Lori

tweisner

It was my first one, too! 

- itri - 

pschriver

Tri the Ridge was my first. I was pitiful.