Pickens County Y Race Team

Ironman Chattanooga 70.3 (Read 6 times)

pschriver

ok sorry to keep asking questions lol but if for some reason you had to miss a week of training due to vacation would it be better to miss in the beginning or more toward the end (near taper)?

I don't let life events get in the way of training but I try to run at least 3 miles a day while on vacation. I also tend to vacate with swimming options so I take advantage of that. 6-8 weeks prior to a half is when you start to max out on mileage so I try not to slack off at that point. You will build zero fitness 1-2 weeks prior to a race but that is a time when most people do something not very smart that messes up the race.

tweisner

I don't let life events get in the way of training but I try to run at least 3 miles a day while on vacation. I also tend to vacate with swimming options so I take advantage of that. 6-8 weeks prior to a half is when you start to max out on mileage so I try not to slack off at that point. You will build zero fitness 1-2 weeks prior to a race but that is a time when most people do something not very smart that messes up the race.

Lori,

In case you didn't know it, we are in this with the big dogs.  This is not little league.  There is no time off.  Life events do not get in the way of training.  That happened when you were a mere babe in the woods with racing and triathlons.  But not anymore.  I mean you saw that picture of the bike Randy has in his office that he rides during his lunch hour.  No time goes wasted.  Maximize every opportunity.  You've hit the big leagues, girl!!!

- itri - 

hey, I really could use a bike and trainer at work, but I dont think dripping sweat on my patients is very appetizing   Ha Ha I still consider myself a mere babe in the woods, not a pro, thus the need for vacation!!  How can you say no to west palm in march?

Lori

Any suggestions on goggles that don't give you raccoon eyes for the rest of the day? This is so annoying plus mine hurt my face.

Lori

pschriver

Aquaspheres, http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sphere-seal-xpt-lady-clear-lens-13063/?color=28070

I think I can get a discount code. I also probably have some extras laying around

tweisner

Any suggestions on goggles that don't give you raccoon eyes for the rest of the day? This is so annoying plus mine hurt my face.

This seems to be my standard answer, but the owner of Carolina Tri recommended some to me.  They were aquasphere.  Maybe the Kaiman, I think.  Also, I really like the larger ones.  I use the AquaSphere Mask Vista I think.

And I put it under my swim cap at the top.  I use the drops that keep the lens from fogging up and it works good.  I just get a better seal with the larger mask than with the smaller goggles.  I think my head is small and more narrow and the small goggles just don't seal around my eyes.

I don't think you can avoid the raccoon eyes no matter what you use.

I've bought probably 10 different types and shapes of goggles.

- itri - 

Thanks I will try to order some aqua sphere- seems to be most popular - maybe not so uncomfortable either

Lori

pschriver

An added bonus of the Aquaspheres is when you get kicked or punched  in the face, it doesn't hurt as bad

Good to know. Another reason why I start at the back bc if someone like you kicked me, I would have to be rescued . Hopefully they will have rescuers on kayaks.

Lori

News Flash.  Just heard rumor that Ironman 70.3 is coming to Hilton Head October 25 this year, but its not available for registration yet.  I might consider this one instead of Augusta this fall. How exciting for our state to host it!  Hopefully the rumor will be fact.

Lori

pschriver

It's for real. They have been working on it for several years. The biggest question is whether HH could support a full. The swim in HH will be rough. Not sure if I would prefer the jellyfish in the ocean or Alligators in the creeks

Peter will u look at my plan and check the bike hours? Mild panic has set in that I don't have enough. I don't do change well. I'm thinking there is a three hour ride in there somewhere

I'm using the beginner triathlete free 20 week plan based on RPE. Its on their website under training plans and you don't have to be a member. I am three weeks into it and it seems like there is not enough running, so I'm thinking of adding in some runs.  Peter seems to think I need a different plan due to the runs....but it is based on if you have never done a half.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=16&memberlevel=1

Can you check on the bike mileage/hours?  you have me worried now.  i don't want to change my course of action.

Lori

pschriver

The plan looks fine for you as long as you don't skip the long workouts. It has you at 15 mile runs now and the long bike rides. Just make sure you follow it. I would say it is the bare minimum to finish the race. Josh will disagree as will others but a 1/2 IM is a long race and it is much better to be prepared. I wouldn't try to make up missed workouts but I would really try and complete all of them

ok good I have been doing ALL of the run and ride workouts but have only been able to swim 2 x a week.  but i'm not as worried about swim if a rubber ducky can make it  in 45 min.  I do have to re arrange days bc of work but I still do the time on the rides/runs it just may be a different day than the plan says.  The runs/rides dont go by mileage but by time.

Lori

do I need a gps for the bike ride at Chattanooga to put in the names of the roads so I don't get lost or is that illegal? it says in the athlete guide that I'm responsible for knowing the course. I don't think I can memorize it.

Lori