Pickens County Y Race Team

Good nutritional advise (Read 13 times)

found a calorie calculator for triathletes that is pretty cool if you are ocd like me and like keeping up with technical stuff.

http://www.tri-talk.com/TriTalkNC/TriTalkNC.htm

however I don't know much about the glycogen storage or v02 max.

Lori

Instead of having a daily calorie goal for food ,would it be better for weight loss to go by a weekly calorie goal?

Lori

pschriver

Instead of having a daily calorie goal for food ,would it be better for weight loss to go by a weekly calorie goal?

I would do it by meal. Fairly pointless to binge at one meal and then starve for a couple. Slowly taking in calories all day with small meals avoids Insulin/Glucagon spikes, allows the stomach to stay somewhat decompressed leading to satiety and sensitivity to Ghrelin

tweisner

I agree with Peter.

Although, I have no idea what Ghrelin is.

- itri - 

Has anyone had trouble with blood sugar dropping during the hardest weeks of IM/ HIM training is that a common thing?

Lori

I've never paid attention to my blood.

I'll take that as a "no"- you'd know it if it did. Basically feeling like crap with no energy,dizzy, etc, and like I could fall asleep right after a workout

Lori

tweisner

I'll take that as a "no"- you'd know it if it did. Basically feeling like crap with no energy,dizzy, etc, and like I could fall asleep right after a workout

You probably need to eat if you are still restricting your calories during training.

Or doesn't your body tend to crash somewhat as you are going into your tapering for the race?  I don't know I have just heard something like that.

- itri - 

Oh I have never been so ready for a taper. One more really tough week. I am eating my recommended calories daily but not sure what else to do.... Hoping that I can make it thru the race!

Lori

tweisner

You will make it through the race!!!  You have done a great job training.  I am so proud and so impressed.  You have worked so hard.  It will all be worth it.  You will have a blast and it will be great.

- itri - 

thank you for that!! 

Lori

Has anyone had bio impedence analysis done? Wondering how accurate it was

Lori

tweisner

What is that?

On anther note, I have started taking a probiotic and that has been a good thing.  Along those lines, II have learned about the importance of eating functional foods.

Oh and I had a color analysis done at Sephora and it came up with 68 choices of foundations that match.  Can you believe that?  Its suppose to be some exact color match thing.  Sounds like a hoax to me if it came up with 68 choices.  Thats not too exact.

And speaking of a hoax, So I have lots of PT bills from all the people I have seen.  I look at every bill to see what I have been charged.  So Tom at Proaxis Therapy charged me:

$134 for his evaluation of me

$54 for 15 minutes of theraputic exercise

He is also the guy who evaluated me and told me there was nothing he could do for me.  He then proceeded to tell me about how pelvic floor dysfunction can be unexplained hip pain.  And he filled me in on who I needed to see and how he thought she could help me.  He also, by email, forwarded me some case studies.  very nice.  But he did not at any time do 15 minutes of theraputic exercise.

so I questioned the charge.  He said :

The 15 minute ther ex charge was actually for the time spent consulting regarding the examination findings and the need/importance of Pelvic PT.  The insurance system is screwed up where the billing charge for education is the same as exercise, and on top of that it registers as 15 minutes even if you only do 5.  I know this all seems shady and I appreciate that no treatment was actually rendered during this time due to me believing you would not benefit from my services.

NOW - I ask you all - is that like me going to the doctor and he/she evaluates me for appendicitis and then charges me an additional charge to tell me whether or not I have appendicitis?  Doesn't the time spent consulting regarding the examination findings come free with the evaluation?

- itri - 

In a nutshell it's a test that measures all sorts of stuff like %body fat , muscle mass, bone mass, ratios and percentages of water and protein in the cells all by electric current, I did mine at school and got this 3 page analysis of stuff that I can't interpret lol so I was just seeing if anyone knew about them.  Also on the insurance companies subject, don't even get me started.... It's such a racket and of course it's all about the $$$. If there is a code to bill you for the littlest thing you can bet you will be charged.  Unfortunately a lot of the time the price is so high to make up for those who don't pay. At least that's how it is at the hospital. I mean I think a bandaid is like 7$ lol

Lori

tweisner

The PT I am seeing now sent me the medical jargon she put in my file after she evaluated me.

I started googling all the medical jargon and figured out what it all meant.

Try googling the results.

Let us know what you find out.

- itri -