Pickens County Y Race Team

Injuries (Read 6 times)

So I'm pretty sure I have Achilles tendinitis.  Any suggestions on what to do? I've taped it and taken anti inflammatory meds- and tried rolling.  I have been biking but will this aggravate it?  How long should I take off running?

Lori

tweisner

So I'm pretty sure I have Achilles tendinitis.  Any suggestions on what to do? I've taped it and taken anti inflammatory meds- and tried rolling.  I have been biking but will this aggravate it?  How long should I take off running?

Is this for Peter?  What did google say?

I've been pretty sure I have had all kinds of crap.  My suggestion is to find a "therapist" that treats running/biking/swimming/exercise related injuries and don't self diagnose.

Peter, have you heard about Dr. Michael Boyer at Upstate Bone & Joint?  I would like to talk to a runner who has been to see him and done the treadmill gait analysis?

- itri - 

pschriver

For starters, my personal opinion is that googling a "pain" and then following a treatment that worked for someone else is not a great way to get better. I think all runners need to educate themselves on basic injury prevention and follow good recovery programs. After a hard marathon you really should avoid an aggressive work-out for 2 weeks. After a half, 1 week. If you inflame your Achilles you really need to take 2 weeks OFF to recover. You can still do upper body, swimming with minimal kick "Pull Buoy" aqua jogging   and cycling at high cadence, low resistance as long as the bike fit is set so you don't planter-flex your foot at the bottom of your pedal stroke. If it is really bad you may need a boot. I am not an advocate of unproven therapies. Stretching, massage, acupuncture, ultrasound, ART. If it feels good and you can afford the time and expense, fine.

I don't know anything about the new guy in Easley. I have mixed feelings about gait analysis and doubt that it decreases injury rates. It may help for some but I don't think there is anything magic. I do know a runner who had one of the "best natural running forms" according to CC coaches, and he stayed chronically injured and has just about stopped running.

I think the best way to avoid injury is to follow a good plan. Preferably with a coach to check in. Allow adequate recovery. Put in lots and lots of slow miles to build up tissue strength to tolerate tough efforts when they arise.

tweisner

So there is no way to overcome bio-mechanical issues, in your opinion?

I fully believe there is a way to make it work somehow someway.

Are there really any proven therapies?  In my case, I have seen a general practitioner, a couple of physical therapists, an orthopedic surgeon, a spine surgeon, a chiropractor, a sports chiropractic physician, a massage therapist, a personal trainer,  and an ART therapist.

Even complete rest didn't make it any better.

I haven't just sought out treatment because it feels good and I can afford it.  I'm searching for a way to make it work.  Cause left on my own, it ain't working.

- itri - 

I didn't google it but my question was just for anyone who may have had that issue- and I figured someone probably had.  I have asked others as well.  I pretty much self diagnosed.  others have suggested therapists but I think I will TRY to rest from running this week.  I want to be ready to start my training for Charleston on time but I feel like I'm losing fitness by taking off of running.  I'm thinking of getting new shoes too.  I feel like a firmer sole would help.

I just don't get how it happened.  I felt great the few days after the half and I did rest sunday and Monday by cycling. It didn't start hurting till I ran Thursday.  Then I ran Saturday afternoon and it was really bad.  So I have been biking this week.   Taping seems to give it some support too.

Lori

tweisner

I'm not smart enough to tell you what it is or what to do about it.  I can't even handle my own injuries well, must less anyone else's.  Everyone is different.  And people with the same symptoms can have different injuries.  And what works for one is not going to work in all cases.  And where the pain is may not necessarily be where the problem is.  Maybe your injury is very simple and time off will cure it with no time wasted.  I certainly hope that is the case.

I'm probably the last person that even needs to be commenting about injuries.  I'm just in a not so good place and I've had not so good experiences with overcoming injuries.  Whether I diagnosed them myself and tried to fix it, took other people's advice on fixing it, or whether I sought help and let someone else try to fix it.

I don't get how all this stuff happens to me, either.  I'm seem pretty normal on the surface.

Give it a little time and see if it gets better.  It probably will.

- itri - 

tweisner

How's the ankle, Lori?

- itri - 

I did a trial run this morning and it still hurts but I can go slow on it.  I'm beginning to think it's not Achilles though because it hurts on either side of the tendon right above my heel.  I've been doing calf raises to help strengthen. Oh well, guess I'll try to do short runs and cycling and maybe get new shoes.

Lori

Anyone know if gotta run in Clemson is a good place to get shoes, like knowledgable staff ? Or am I better off going to fleet feet or greenville running (Jeff)?

Lori

tweisner

Here's my 2 cents:

All those places are great.  I have bought shoes from Fleet Feet, Run In, and Greenville Running Company.  Great people at all places.  And I bet Gotta Run Clemson is great, too.  Mike Russell buys shoes there.

Run In has the best selection.  They carry the most brands.  So if you want the widest selection I suggest Run In.

My strength/running person at the Cleveland Street Y thinks Jeff is the most knowledgeable about shoes.  But his store only carries certain brands.  So him putting you in a shoe is limited to what he carries.  Plus he put me in a shoe in May.  In October, Brad, the therapist I am working with now said those were the wrong shoes for me.  He suggested different shoes for me sent me to Run In simply because they have the most choices.

But I like all those places and the people that work there.

- itri - 

sorry to get back on this topic again, but does anyone know of a good sports medicine reference for me?

I have taken weeks off now and have new shoes, and have been icing it, ibuprofen twice a day (for 7 days).  I tried 2 miles today on the treadmill at 4mph and had no pain during the run/jog.  Now its creaking again.

Would a steroid injection help?  How long should I go before actually seeing a doctor?

Lori

tweisner

I've seen Daniel Becker.  I like him.  He is very good.  So have lots of others on the race team.  His number is 244-2220.  He has treated a number of things with me.

I've seen Brad McKay.  He is very good.  I like him.  He is working with me now.  His number is 233-4226.

Dr. Becker will be able to see you quicker.  I would start with him.  His advice to me is if it last longer than 3 days then seek help.

- itri - 

Thanks! Hopefully I can get to one of them soon.

Lori