Pickens County Y Race Team

Protein Powders (Read 189 times)

It appears most of you have a good handle on your nutrition- I don't. As a vegetarian, I really struggle with getting enough protein, good calories. I've been using a Muscle Milk supplement for the last few months, but it was recently suggested that I move off of a soy-based powder. Alternatives include; Jay Robb's Egg White Protein ($$), Yellow Pea Powder Protein, Hemp Protein. Has anyone experimented with any of these products?

Eat Mor Chikn!

ehunter

And sprinkle that Chikn with plenty of electrolytes.

Here are a few links that may have some good info.  The last link is to a discussion on Slowtwitch regarding protein/vegans.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/

http://engine2diet.com/

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3897777;search_string=vegetarian;#3897777

pschriver

I'm with Josh on this one. Chicken is a vegetable. I'm also big on Sushi.

Veal may be a little contraversial but it sure is good.

I'm probably a bad source for Vegan advice. I plan to maintain "dominion over animals"  

Thanks for the links, Erich. I ordered Thrive a few days ago, the same book No Meat Athlete uses. I've also landed on a Hemp protein powder and egg white protein powder combo to make up for the deficiency. Getting on track. And while it would surely be easier to eat chicken or (baby, what is veal...lamb?!?!?), it's not a concession I'm willing to make. There are so many alternatives to a meat = protein diet, even though it's extra trial and error. I'll stick with the plants Wink
            ehunter

The good news with the hemp powder is that if you don't like how it tastes, you can always smoke it.

So, how did you arrive at becoming a vegetarian?  How long so?

It started as a 30 day PETA challenge. I knew I'd be hitting Thanksgiving in that timeframe and The Hubs is known for his deep-fried turkey deliciousness, but I did it anyway. That was four years ago. Prior to that, I never ate red meat, so giving up the bird was easy. I was surprised at how hard the restaurant industry makes it to be a vegetarian. Oftentimes, chicken stock and bullion are used in "vegetarian" dishes. ;( I've learned to ask and sometimes, even at high-end places like Larkin on the River, I have to request veg-only fare. Seems silly to me that all restaurants don't have at least one meat-free option. Since I don't eat seafood and I'm lactose intolerant, I really do have to get inventive. Yay for whole wheat pasta!

One problem Haley, have you heard of the book "Wheat Belly"?  Has anyone heard of or read that book?  Just wondering because my mom just read it and she is making me promise to read it asap because it explains how wheat has been altered? and is poisoning us.  Well i haven't read the book yet, but it was convincing enough to make her stop eating it and she doesn't usually listen to nutrition trends.

It's written by a cardiologist I believe...Peter, do you know anything about it??

pschriver

I have not read the book personally but have a littlei nsight on the topic. I agree with the author on some points. I am not a big fan of processed foods. It is a nessary evil to feed millions of people in urban areas where fresh, organic foods whould be difficult. I also believe that processed food are psychologically and possibly physically addictive for some people. A lot of this is driven by the massive media exposuy by food and soda companies.

ehunter

Here is a link that talks about whole wheat foods and other health foods.  Keep in mind its advocating a particular style of eating and food choices, but it goes against a lot of stuff that we are told is "healthy".  Take if for what its worth, buts its interesting to hear.  The video starts off slow, but give it time.

http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing?food=avocado

Another viewpoint... http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html In reviewing the no-no/ limited food list, legumes and fruit take a hit. Additionally, it appears many of the Wheat Belly followers are encouraged to move towards a Paleoesque diet. While I agree much of our foods have been altered in some fashion, hybrid produce, pesticides, beakless chicken, it's nearly impossible to find a happy medium. A healthy diet, it seems, is relative and, like our healthcare options, ever-changing.

good points made by all 3 of you...

it's tough to figure it all out, so i will just do my best to keep eating fresh, natural foods and avoid the processed stuff.  One problem though, will be bread.  I really did think that whole wheat bread was ok.  i'm a big fan of bread.  I'm disappointed to be hearing so much negative info on how it affects blood sugar etc.  I just can't help but wonder if we will find out in 10 years from now that it's good for us again.  Eggs used to be bad, now they're good.  Artificial sweeteners used to be good, now they're bad. it goes on and on.  One thing I learned about "studies" in my masters program was that you can look at the same findings and come to different conclusions.  you can make the findings suit your desired intentions.  The White House does it all the time.  they can take a jobs report and sell it to us as a positive, when it's actually a huge negative.  People are good at using information to support their instincts or to benefit financially.  But i will tell you my philosophy...  there is one thing that is absolutely more dangerous than questionable food choices...and that is stress.  Stress ruins people!  look at before and after photos of presidents for example.  Stress is the worst thing for the body, so no matter what findings are published about food, I will not make it a thing that I stress out over on a daily basis.  Life is short and eating should be relaxing and enjoyable.  I think exercise helps the body handle food much more efficiently and the people who are most unsatisfied with their diets are probably people who don't excersise much. 

tweisner

good points made by all 3 of you...

it's tough to figure it all out, so i will just do my best to keep eating fresh, natural foods and avoid the processed stuff.  One problem though, will be bread.  I really did think that whole wheat bread was ok.  i'm a big fan of bread.  I'm disappointed to be hearing so much negative info on how it affects blood sugar etc.  I just can't help but wonder if we will find out in 10 years from now that it's good for us again.  Eggs used to be bad, now they're good.  Artificial sweeteners used to be good, now they're bad. it goes on and on.  One thing I learned about "studies" in my masters program was that you can look at the same findings and come to different conclusions.  you can make the findings suit your desired intentions.  The White House does it all the time.  they can take a jobs report and sell it to us as a positive, when it's actually a huge negative.  People are good at using information to support their instincts or to benefit financially.  But i will tell you my philosophy...  there is one thing that is absolutely more dangerous than questionable food choices...and that is stress.  Stress ruins people!  look at before and after photos of presidents for example.  Stress is the worst thing for the body, so no matter what findings are published about food, I will not make it a thing that I stress out over on a daily basis.  Life is short and eating should be relaxing and enjoyable.  I think exercise helps the body handle food much more efficiently and the people who are most unsatisfied with their diets are probably people who don't excersise much. 

Here, you don't have you wait 10 years.  Whole wheat bread is good for you again.

You covered nutrition, politics, and medical findings all in one reply.  Will you post a picture of yourself when you took the job of being president of the Y race team so in 4 years we can see what the stress of the job has done to you?

- itri -