Pickens County Y Race Team

B2B (Read 217 times)

Give it to me... I can take it. Good, bad and ugly for Beach to Battleship.
    pschriver

Half or full? This year or next.

It is too cold for me. Josh did it so he can give you first hand info.

Half, Oct 20... Cold seems to be the word of concern. Yes, Josh was instrumental in assisting me with this decision (and quite a few others pertaining to my new-found pass time).

The good:  i think the temp will be nice for you.  It was a very cold start for me, but that was nov 13, not oct 20th.  I read that they changed the course to involve downtown area more and finish downtown.  It sounds like some great improvements have been made.  I may have to do it again. Bike course is flat.

The bad:  expect a long T-1 time, the bridges will take their toll on the run.

The ugly:  a mass beach start makes for a lot of contact with others, plus the choppy intercoastal will make breathing/rythm more challenging.

but that's part of what makes it such a great accomplishment.  And then you'll be better prepared for the B2B FULL in 2013.

cindy m

Ask Nikki McCollum....she did it

ehunter

If you're a weak swimmer, it'll make you happy.  The times are typically 10-12 minutes faster in the half and 20-25 minutes faster in the full.  The only year this didn't occur was when Josh did it if I'm correct.  Tide/event timing was off that year.

The date change will make the temps a lot more bearable. 

One other thing Haley....whats the news on the injury front?

Injury is improving nicely. After nearly 3 months of pool running, I've been given the ok to run on grass... except now I'm worried about breaking my ankle. Grass running isn't that easy! Progressed up to 5 smooth miles without issue. Still taking it easy. Regular visits to PT. Thanks for asking!
                pschriver

Best of luck to all of the athletes heading to B2B. I think Haley is doing the 1/2 and Nikki is doing the full. The weather should be nice. A friend of mine from Columbia is also doing his first half. Wish I could be there to watch.

We arrived late afternoon after a non-proverbial bumpy ride in. If I believed in omens, this would be a hard one to read... Cruising along the highway in the right-hand lane, this huge-ass hawk/eagle/pterodactyl hybrid comes flying out of median carrying something gross and dead in it's talons. Whatever the intended meal, it was too heavy for the giant bird and it couldn't lift off. Instead, it flew a foot and a half off of the ground into- yep- the fast lane...more specifically, the bumper of my new truck Sad Surely, I thought, our truck was tougher than the hungry Icarian fowl- it was not. The entire front side of the bumper was caved. Feathers embedded where the paint cracked. The bird hit so hard, the impact forced him to shat the length of the truck. That was an interesting science lesson for the children. Poor bird. Poor bumper. On the upside, the weather is perfect.

Haley,Congrats!!!!!!  please give us a race recap.  details!

tweisner

Absolutly - Congratulations !  You did a fantastic job.  And what did you get for your post race meal?

- itri - 

pschriver

Pickles and Ice cream is my guess

Few things taste as good as crossing a finish line feels- maybe brownies, but little else. B2B proved to be a four star event, feather-capped by perfect weather and WARM water temps! I am fortunate to have had the opportunity, however slow, to be a FINISHER.

I've come away with a better understanding of my weaknesses... Half Ironman + nagging injury = Hell. In retrospect, I shouldn't have competed. I'd convinced myself for two weeks prior that even though my (never-ending) assortment of knee injuries weren't going to disappear pre-event, I'd just push through. We foam rolled, we massaged, we KT taped, we Tylenoled and we prayed. In the end, the last 9 or 10 miles of the run ruined me. Yet, the ebb and flow of emotions, the frustration, the dirty pain of it all didn't take away from the experience. Instead it enhanced it, turned it into a new kind of challenge. I, shuffle shuffle, will finish.

I've come away with a better understanding of my strengths, too. I can kick ass on two-wheels! Citing a near miracle, I kept on target for my swim and bike times remembering not to push too hard (precious cargo and all). And if I didn't HAVE TO STOP (right this second) to use every. single. port-a-john. on. the. entire. course. (We're talking all three events here folks), I would have finished the bike in 17 minutes- give or take Smile

The talent pool at events like these is dumb-founding. The Nikki McCollums (can we say amazing?) abound. It would be easy to get lost in the awesomeness of abilities, second-guess your own involvement, your own awesomeness. But so much, a Half Iron distance, like any race really, becomes an opportunity to race introspectively. Jamie likes to say, race your race. It's so true. Half the battle is mental.

At one point close to the Dantesque end of the walk/shuffle/walk, I read a chalk inscription on the sidewalk. It read, "You Will Earn This."  Crossing the finish line, back of the pack, pregnant, nauseated, in crazy pain, I knew I HAD earned it.

My gratitude is overflowing.

PS Post-race food included, but not limited to; pasta with veggies, caramel cheesecake, orange Fanta, protein drink, a snack bag of Cheetos, 2 oranges and...a pickle.

ehunter

Few things taste as good as crossing a finish line feels- maybe brownies, but little else. B2B proved to be a four star event, feather-capped by perfect weather and WARM water temps! I am fortunate to have had the opportunity, however slow, to be a FINISHER.

I've come away with a better understanding of my weaknesses... Half Ironman + nagging injury = Hell. In retrospect, I shouldn't have competed. I'd convinced myself for two weeks prior that even though my (never-ending) assortment of knee injuries weren't going to disappear pre-event, I'd just push through. We foam rolled, we massaged, we KT taped, we Tylenoled and we prayed. In the end, the last 9 or 10 miles of the run ruined me. Yet, the ebb and flow of emotions, the frustration, the dirty pain of it all didn't take away from the experience. Instead it enhanced it, turned it into a new kind of challenge. I, shuffle shuffle, will finish.

I've come away with a better understanding of my strengths, too. I can kick ass on two-wheels! Citing a near miracle, I kept on target for my swim and bike times remembering not to push too hard (precious cargo and all). And if I didn't HAVE TO STOP (right this second) to use every. single. port-a-john. on. the. entire. course. (We're talking all three events here folks), I would have finished the bike in 17 minutes- give or take Smile

The talent pool at events like these is dumb-founding. The Nikki McCollums (can we say amazing?) abound. It would be easy to get lost in the awesomeness of abilities, second-guess your own involvement, your own awesomeness. But so much, a Half Iron distance, like any race really, becomes an opportunity to race introspectively. Jamie likes to say, race your race. It's so true. Half the battle is mental.

At one point close to the Dantesque end of the walk/shuffle/walk, I read a chalk inscription on the sidewalk. It read, "You Will Earn This."  Crossing the finish line, back of the pack, pregnant, nauseated, in crazy pain, I knew I HAD earned it.

My gratitude is overflowing.

PS Post-race food included, but not limited to; pasta with veggies, caramel cheesecake, orange Fanta, protein drink, a snack bag of Cheetos, 2 oranges and...a pickle.

Awesome job Haley - to the two of you.  Was there a "non age" age group for the newly conceived racers?  That kid better be a triathlete when he pops out.

Great story - and I'd venture to say that your story tops everyone elses stories that competed.  

Oh, i meant to tell you - your earlier message and the mention of "shat" just cracked me up.  Something about the word "shat" that just makes people smile.  But I digress....anyway, big congrats on the race and finishing under such conditions and circumstances.  You da shat!

Now, have the baby and a wonderful delivery, get healthy, start back training (with new baby in tow), and practice contraception.