Pickens County Y Race Team

Good nutritional advise (Read 13 times)

tweisner

I want your recipes for those cookies and energy mix sometime!  Maybe if I start eating like you and stop counting calories that will help.  That helps a lot.  I will try it.

We eat out about once a week. My fault is that I don't like fish.  (I am in love with Jersey Mikes mini italian sub) However, on the weekends eating at mom's may be the culprit lol.  And I don't think I can give up my peanut butter, but I've been wanting to try that PB2 stuff.

Its not your mom's.  That's the good stuff.

- itri - 

Yes that would be great! I heard about "grazing" yesterday lol thank you.

Lori

I don't think you guys would agree with me, but I think diet is being over-thought/over-analyzed in general.  Eating shouldn't require math!

Have any of you heard of Dean Karnazes?  (spelling?)  Anyway, he's the guy that runs across the country, sets running records, etc.  He wrote a book called Ultra Marathon Man.  It is a cool book!  You wouldn't believe the stuff he eats regularly.

I am too "type A" to not analyze my calories lol.  But if I could run like Dean id be eating like him too!

Lori

tweisner

I am too "type A" to not analyze my calories lol.  But if I could run like Dean id be eating like him too!

What are the calories for cubed steak, homemade biscuit, crowder peas (from my garden), and homemade potato salad?

- itri - 

Interesting... Tactical dehydration

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152368141266987&id=9815486986

Lori

tweisner

In a discussion the other day, a friend of mine (a 46 year old female) told me her doctor told her that:

Without changing her diet, she would have to train for a marathon to loose weight running.  Especially at your age.

I disagreed with that.  I especially disagreed with it because now she thinks there is no reason for her to run.  She tried it and found it "boring" and since her doctor said she would have to train for a marathon for it to make a difference she said "oh well nevermind".  She is following weight watchers which has worked well for her.

- itri - 

I so disagree too. When I started running years ago , I ran / walked every other day and the pounds came off. I think when trying to get people to modifyof  lifestyle you have to set goals that are realistic- I mean telling someone who had never ran to train for a marathon is going to discourage her and she will never start  at all. Perhaps a goal like 15 min brisk walk daily would be a better starting point. If weight watchers is working then why change?

Lori

pschriver

In a discussion the other day, a friend of mine (a 46 year old female) told me her doctor told her that:

Without changing her diet, she would have to train for a marathon to loose weight running.  Especially at your age.

I disagreed with that.  I especially disagreed with it because now she thinks there is no reason for her to run.  She tried it and found it "boring" and since her doctor said she would have to train for a marathon for it to make a difference she said "oh well nevermind".  She is following weight watchers which has worked well for her.

Just because you hear something from a "doctor" doesn't mean it is right. Especially something that is heard second hand from a patient who "her doctor told her that" By possibly  misquoting her "doctor", she was trying to bring validity to a not very intelligent comment. Marathon training is actually discouraged by the mainstream medical community. Running is fine, but there is such thing as too much. You don't go from 5k training to marathon training to get even healthier. There is massive amounts of evidence that shows a solid 5k training plan along with a healthy diet will lead to long-term, sustainable weight-loss and resolution of co-morbidities (diabetes, hypertension, etc.)

pschriver

If weight watchers is working then why change?

The reason Weight Watcher fails is because it is tough to stay on a calorie deficient diet indefinitely. During the calorie deficient period, you loose lean body mass and build storage fat. Your metabolism slows down to prevent injury to vital organs. At some point, when you resume taking in more calories than your BEE (Basal Energy Expenditure) you will begin putting on weight, usually predominately in the form of storage fat. By adding a reasonable amount exercise, you can prevent this from happening. Part of the reason some of the weight-loss plans discourage exercise is you won't see the massive change in lbs in someone who exercises because they maintain the lean body mass. Storage fat is much harder to remove. If most people don't see their weight drop on the scales, they get discouraged and drop out of the plan. Consistent, long term health is obtained by healthy eating and reasonable amounts of exercise. There are a few studies being published now on what the proper "dose" of exercise should be.

Funny how that works about calorie deficit, now that I have increased my calories to 1500 per day I have lost a couple of pounds, where as when I was taking in 1200 I just couldn't seem to shed any more no matter how much exercise.  Plus I don't feel as hungry Smile

Lori

tweisner

Peter, I have a friend that I run with from the Y on T/Th.  His name is Jared.  He is on the race team and has even gotten on RA some but not much.  I don't know all the specifics but I'll tell you what I do know.  He has lost, I'm gonna guess, 75 pounds.  Last year (2014) for Lent, he gave up meat.  Afterwards, he decided to stay that way.  So since April of last year, he has been vegetarian.  During the summer, he mentioned to me that he had not been losing weight.  Time went on and I suggested he maybe back off on the cardio and introduce some strength training to shake things up.  Up til then he was running, swimming, and doing spin class.  Something everyday.  He tried that for a while.  Still no more weight loss.

As far as specifically what he eats/ate I don't know that either but I know he comes to the Y early mornings and goes straight to work.  So breakfast would be protein bar(s).  I do know he has researched and read about how to lose weight and tries to adhere to clean/healthy eating.  He loves beer and even crafts beer as a hobby.  But in keeping with his goal of losing weight, since January 1 he has given up all alcohol and sugar.  He is trying to lose 30 more pounds by May (?) his birthday.  Last night he text and said he has been off beer and sugar for two weeks and not a pound has been lost.

He is reading a book called The Daniel Diet right now.

He works very hard and is trying very hard.  But nothing seems to be working anymore.

Do you have any suggestions?  He has mentioned a nutritionist.

When I read your above comments about the body thinking it was starving and shutting down to save vital organs, I thought of him.

This all may be to vague for you to take a stab at making suggestions, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks

- itri - 

pschriver

I know Jared and he has made great progress. He is probably at a plateau. He just needs to stay consistent and he will start loosing again. It's not magic. Weight loss is an incredibly slow process. I saw a guy today who was bigger than Jared 3 years ago. Today he made me look fat. CONSISTENCY, LIFE STYLE, it will happen. My coach is another example of success. Atkins worked best for him. I would take the advice of Slayer over any nutritionist. If he really wants to get serious and doesn't mind pain, he should do at one season with the Slayer as his coach. (And he won't have to give up the craft beer. Only share)

tweisner

Ok who is Slayer?  Does he have a website?

I will pass on what you said.

Thanks.

How was that ride today?  Did you eat at Barley's afterwards?

My friend, Beth, did the ride and she won some new tires for her bike in the door prize drawing.  I forget what kind.

She saw you guys but didn't get a chance to speak.

- itri - 

pschriver

The ride was awesome. Chilly at first but Theresa dropped off  when we got close to the winery and did a wine tasting. I swear I never saw Beth and had no idea she did the ride unless she was in the Spinners group that was going the other direction. Bakery ride tomorrow if interested. I have to take advantage of the nice weather and not being on call,

The Slayer is easy to find. I think his web-site is TriCoachGa but google will find him.