Pickens County Y Race Team

Lactate (Read 10 times)

I read in runners world that in fit runners 90% of lactate produced is converted to fuel. This is contradictive of what I've learned in the past. I've always thought lactic acid to be a bad thing.  I wonder if there is any truth in this ?  What do you guys think?

Lori

tweisner

Don't ask me.  I thought you were talking about nursing mothers that run.

- itri - 

Ha that would probably be a good discussion too saved for a later date!

Lori

pschriver

Biochemistry is a difficult subject to discuss on a forum. The bottom line is when you look at lactate it is a tree in the forest. Lactate is a by product  of metabolism and if it builds up can lead to muscle fatigue and cramping. It is cleared from the body by buffering, respiration and also as a fuel by mitochondria. It has been shown that elite athletes have higher mitochondrial density in muscles which may help to explain why they are able to clear lactate more efficiently.

If lactate is "all bad" you should stop pouring it into bleeding patients. (LR)

pschriver

Don't ask me.  I thought you were talking about nursing mothers that run.

I can always tell when they have been around because they attract cats from all of the spilled milk.

Nice mental picture.  I can see that this was a poor choice of discussion.   We went from acid to nursing mothers running to trees and now cats !

Lori