Pickens County Y Race Team

TryCharleston Sprint and Half distance triathlon (Read 8 times)

pschriver

I just received an e-mail that mentioned the price increase is tomorrow for the April 20th race. http://www.trycharleston.org/ Not sure if anyone is on the fence for this one but it is a well run, very flat and fast course. April is a great month to visit Charleston and we make a mini vacation out of the trip. Theresa, my younger brother and myself are all doing the race.

tweisner

How did it go?

- itri - 

pschriver

Race went ok. I placed 4th in my age group (they went 5 deep). Weather was a little rough. It was cold and raining. I fell short of my goal of running under 22 but was close at 22:37. Overall we had a good time.

Race went ok. I placed 4th in my age group (they went 5 deep). Weather was a little rough. It was cold and raining. I fell short of my goal of running under 22 but was close at 22:37. Overall we had a good time.

The race went OK???  you were like 20th out of 160!  and your times are outstanding.  You would have won the 20-24 age group, won the 25-29 age group,  1st or 2nd in the most of the other age groups.  Since when are you running 22 min 5k's?

ehunter

Congrats on a great race Peter. Excellent race and split results.  Keep up the great racing.

I know you're a doc and maybe wouldn't consider the following, but if you're still fighting the Plantar Fasciitis, I'd HIGHLY recommend Dr. Becker doing some Graston and ART.  Wayyyy lots of proven results on many, and I can personally account for some amazing results on me and a ton of my friends.  I call him Jesus Jr.

tweisner

That's fantastic, Peter.  Congrats on placing and having a great race even in rough weather.  How cold was it?  Below 40?  The forecast for Anderson Y Tri is warmer but is now calling for rain.

I'll have to second the recommendation on seeing Dr. Becker.  There is an article in the May issue of Runner's World if you wanted to read a little about the ART/Graston stuff.  A quote from a PT in the article, "...I've found that ART or Graston Technique is usually more effective at treating specific running injuries, particularly plantar fasciitis and IT-band syndrome."

- itri - 

pschriver

Thanks for the well wishes.

I hope my "race went ok" comment isn't misinterpreted as lack of humility. I truly had the race  of my life and was very pleased with my results. I would have had to have been in the top 7 overall to have been 3rd in my age group and would have needed to be 1st or 2nd overall to have won my age group. I never realized how competitive the 50-54 crowd could be. By "ok" I was referring to the weather and organization of the race. It was pouring all night and in the morning during set up. Theresa backed out and didn't participate. T-1 was a mud pit.  The temp was 54 but the rain made it feel much colder. I was really glad I had my full wetsuit. The 75 degree lake felt like bath water compared to the air.

I learned the secret to running a 22 minute 5k a couple of years ago. Simply run 100+ miles a month consistently for 3 months.  No speed work. No special food, gear or shoes. Just good solid miles.

As far as the plantar fascitis goes it is a new problem. I had it on my left heel last year ironically as I was trying to break the 23 min mark in the Wren Run. My left foot is now 100% fine but my right heel has been giving me signs that it is about to go bad. It was fine during the majority of the run but I tried to pick-up the pace for the last 1/4 mile and I felt my plantar fascia rip as I was heading toward the finish line. I had to hop on one leg to finish the race. I wasn't able to walk the rest of weekend after the race. At the moment I couldn't stand any therapy on my foot. I am in my splint and walking on crutches. If it doesn't get better quickly I will get help. At the moment I will focus on swimming

that really sucks about the foot.  If my doctor walked in with crutches, i would be nervous.

Great race though.  Your brother beat you last year and you smoked him this year.  that should put him in his place.  that is paybacks for all the swirlies he gave you when you were kids.

I'm glad you aren't doing the anderson sprint because i don't want to get beat by you.

pschriver

Quick video of my nephew on the boat cruise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSO8PlxZ_mc

pschriver

that really sucks about the foot.  If my doctor walked in with crutches, i would be nervous.

Great race though.  Your brother beat you last year and you smoked him this year.  that should put him in his place.  that is paybacks for all the swirlies he gave you when you were kids.

I'm glad you aren't doing the anderson sprint because i don't want to get beat by you.

Hope your joking about the crutches because I will be using them.

My brother did beat me last year but I limped the first mile on the run and still only lost by 33 seconds. I had a faster swim, bike, T1 and T2 but couldn't run at all. Not making excuses but he caught me at a bad point in my life.

My odds of beating you are pretty low. If you flatted on the bike or tripped during the run, I might have a chance. Otherwise I will be content chasing guys my own age