Pickens County Y Race Team

Wet suits (Read 9 times)

pschriver

http://www.trixterrawetsuits.com/

xterra is offering discounts on wetsuits if anyone is interested. I doubt anyone has ever paid full price for one of their suits because they go on sale all the time but they do make a good suit.

How would I rent one for Clemson or would it be cheaper to buy? Also will the tri suits be ready by then?

Lori

pschriver

You can rent from the local tri-shops, on-line rental, on-site rental (usually through a Set-Up sponsor). I already promised to find one for you to borrow and I will come through.Rental is usually $25-50 for a weekend. A decent sleeveless suit is about $99 new and $135 with sleeves. Sleeves can theoretically make you faster by being more buoyant and some sleeves supposedly catch the water on the pull better. Sleeveless is fine around here. I did Chicago in 60 degree water in a sleeveless and was fine. Clemson is always borderline wetsuit legal anyway and a lot of people go without.  The nice thing about owning is you can practice in the suit. It does take a little practice swimming in a wetsuit. I would hate to make my trial run on race day.

Not much progress on the tri-suits. We need a better ringleader than me.

tweisner

You can rent from the local tri-shops, on-line rental, on-site rental (usually through a Set-Up sponsor). I already promised to find one for you to borrow and I will come through.Rental is usually $25-50 for a weekend. A decent sleeveless suit is about $99 new and $135 with sleeves. Sleeves can theoretically make you faster by being more buoyant and some sleeves supposedly catch the water on the pull better. Sleeveless is fine around here. I did Chicago in 60 degree water in a sleeveless and was fine. Clemson is always borderline wetsuit legal anyway and a lot of people go without.  The nice thing about owning is you can practice in the suit. It does take a little practice swimming in a wetsuit. I would hate to make my trial run on race day.

Not much progress on the tri-suits. We need a better ringleader than me.

Give me the tri suit information.  Who do I need to talk to?  etc etc.

Have you started discussion with Hincape that I can continue or do I need to start from scratch?

Give me whatever you have and I will go with it.

- itri - 

tweisner

Well, I paid full price for one last year.  $300.

I was glad I bought it, because like Peter said, I had it to practice in.  And, like my trainer, it looks great around the house.  I look at it all the time and think I am such a triathlete!!!  I have a wet suit.

It saved my life in the Clemson tri so it was well worth the money.

Lori, Clemson was cold.  All these guys say it wasn't/isn't.  But the dag gum pool is cold to me sometimes.

You put your face in that water in the lake and it takes your breath away.

If you only plan to do one tri that you might need a wet suit for, rent one.

Otherwise, take the plunge.

- itri - 

tweisner

Also Lori, I bought one locally because I wanted to try it on.

- itri - 

pschriver

I meant full price for the xterra suits. I agree it is important to try the suit on and make sure it fits. xeterra has a good exchange program that lets you do it by mail. Haley has the contact info pricing ect. I hate giving excuses, but between work, family and getting ready for Nola, my free time is zapped. As long as there is no orange, paw prints, or IPTAY on the suit, I will be ok with it.

so are you saying that trying the wet suit on is necessary? Is a tri suit three hundred or a wet suit?  lol i'm confused.

Lori

Lori, you may want to consider going to a tri shop, trying on a wetsuit and then go home and get on amazon and find one online that's on sale.  you also will get it tax free and usually free shipping.  I use amazon all the time and it has saved me a ton of money.  You can almost always return things without a hassle.  by the way, you'll want a friend to help you get the wetsuit zipped up at the store.  Maybe Peter will do that for you!

pschriver

Thanks Josh.

"Who wants it?
                      Blue Seventy Fusion long sleeve. Sz SMT ( small, tall) Only wore twice for practice swims. Like new, only two small cuts in ankles.
                      $100 shipped!!"

From a tri-club person.

The Tri suit is a bike type short and a tank type top or onesy (unitard) and is usually $45-150. You wear it for every event to avoid getting arrested for indecent exposure.

The wet suit is optional and only worn during the swim. You wear it over the trisuit and take it off while putting on the bike stuff. It is much easier to strip off than put on. You can get a decent sleeveless wet suit for $~100 or $135 with sleeves

tweisner

Lori, you may want to consider going to a tri shop, trying on a wetsuit and then go home and get on amazon and find one online that's on sale.  you also will get it tax free and usually free shipping.  I use amazon all the time and it has saved me a ton of money.  You can almost always return things without a hassle.  by the way, you'll want a friend to help you get the wetsuit zipped up at the store.  Maybe Peter will do that for you!

Josh Josh Josh...yes people do USE a store and their hired help and knowledge then go order online.  When Chad owned Easley Sporting Goods it was very disheartening to see people do that.  Somebody owns that local tri store and he works hard to provide the items and the knowledgeable help to provide for local customers.

Lori, I found the wet suit at 3 Cross Tri.  It is a Blue Seventy long sleeve.  You would probably need the small.  There are weight and height guidelines.  Just go by that.

Maybe I don't know how to mail order effectively.  I do love getting exactly what I want at my doorstep.  And if I don't have to return it, that's great.  But whenever I have to return something, I can't find a box, or tape, or an envelope.  I have to go to the post office and I have to pay the return shipping and it takes them a month to give back the credit.  That's after I have emailed them to see why they haven't credited the account.  I don't mind doing that try on stuff and order online at like Belk's or Macy's or Dick's etc.  But if I go to Fleet Feet and they fit me in a pair of shoes - I'll buy it from them.

- itri - 

pschriver

Josh Josh Josh...yes people do USE a store and their hired help and knowledge then go order online.  When Chad owned Easley Sporting Goods it was very disheartening to see people do that.  Somebody owns that local tri store and he works hard to provide the items and the knowledgeable help to provide for local customers.

Lori, I found the wet suit at 3 Cross Tri.  It is a Blue Seventy long sleeve.  You would probably need the small.  There are weight and height guidelines.  Just go by that.

I have to agree with Traci on this. I could never go into a shop, ask for help and try stuff on and then order it on-line. Instead, I will shop on-line and just make sure they have a good return/exchange policy. I do shop at brick and mortar stores but I like the convenience of getting exactly what I want, when I want it, laying on my doorstep. It's just hard for me to zip into G-ville or Anderson to shop during work hours or the few hours I am not on call

Thanks for the advice MOST of it was valuable Wink

Lori

pschriver

Maybe I don't know how to mail order effectively. Or modify forum post so that we don't have to figure out what changed. LOL I do love getting exactly what I want at my doorstep.  And if I don't have to return it, that's great.  But whenever I have to return something, I can't find a box, or tape, or an envelope.  I have to go to the post office and I have to pay the return shipping and it takes them a month to give back the credit.  That's after I have emailed them to see why they haven't credited the account.  I don't mind doing that try on stuff and order online at like Belk's or Macy's or Dick's etc.  But if I go to Fleet Feet and they fit me in a pair of shoes - I'll buy it from them.

Ru selling a wetsuit or did I read that wrong?

Lori