Pickens County Y Race Team

DU (Read 9 times)

Hey I just wanted to share...

So I got invited to a free duathlon.  It was yesterday and it was 5k/12mi bike/5k.

It was in a local state park and I didn't expect anything from it but a good workout.

So it turns out that the race is smaller than I pictured but it had some ridiculous participants....

the lady is Sarah Haskins--she was the top female ITU triathlete a couple years ago but is just now returning from having a baby.  She was in the 08 olympics.

Down from her is Jarrod Shoemaker in his USA singlet.  he was 08 olympics (would have made 2012 olympics but he had a crash). I think he's trying for 2016.

Then there is Faris al Sutan (Ironman World Champ 2005, numerous top 10 finishes at Kona) he is in the green/white with the bandana.

His German teammate in the same outfit won the duathlon but I don't recall his name.

on an interesting note, you may notice the guy dead center in the bottom pic... he is wearing a clemson jersey.  He went to clemson with Jamie church.  He went pro and moved to Clermont and later started a family.  I met him at the 2013 Greenville sprint when I saw he was from Clermont.  Anyway, we happen to go to the same church, he's pretty cool.

anyway, just wanted to share, I hope you guys are doing great.

pschriver

That looks like a stacked crowd. Faris is famous for wearing a Man-kini in his races. He was a member of the Dubai triathlon team. I knew a fair number of Pros trained in that area but I had no idea you would be hanging out with them. Sara Goss who was one of Jamie's athletes and is a current pro trained there before going to Boulder.. I'm sure I would not have any interest in trying to train or race with that crowd. I would be finishing in an empty parking lot.

tweisner

Hey I thought I would share a picture of the elite runners "warming up" for the Myrtle Beach Marathon Relay.

We also had some "ridiculous participants".

None of us are just returning from having a baby.

But we have here a Clemson grad, a Furman grad, and a USC Spartanburg grad.

And we all go to church.  Just not the same one.

LOL - Josh, glad you had a great time!  That is a pretty elite looking group there.  You are hanging with a nice group of people.  Way to make us proud.

That kinda reminds me of the first time I ran the 10 mile race at Green Valley.  Up until then I had done just 5Ks and 10Ks.  You get all kinds of folks signed up for that and you feel like you fit right in.  When I was hanging out before the race looking around at those signed up for the 10 miler, I knew I was hanging with a slightly different crowd.  And I thought, what the heck am I doing here?

Also, Peter...when I did the bike ride out at Donaldson Center, I finished in an empty parking lot.  You live thru it.

- itri - 

Looks like the weather for the DU in FL and the Myrtle Beach Marathon was much better that ours!  I wish I could have done the DU with you guys in FL since ours was ridiculously cancelled.  Although I would be the last one coming in ( I may could have beat one of the kids but probably not lol)

Lori

I finally heard back from set up events- Jeremy Davis said he could transfer my fee from the du toward clemson triathlon; he'd probably do same for you.

Lori

pschriver

That's awesome. I already paid for Clemson but if I stay healthy, will do some other races. Glad it worked out.