Pickens County Y Race Team

zones (Read 6 times)

Can anyone explain what the zones mean? Ex. if a training plan says zone 2?

Lori

pschriver

Somebody wasn't listening when Dr. Katoof and Dr Murr spoke at our end of the year parties

pschriver

Thanks. I didn't get to attend that party! and I thought the zones had also to do with HR?

Lori

pschriver

Thanks. I didn't get to attend that party! and I thought the zones had also to do with HR?

Sorry, I  thouht you were there. The zones also apply with heartrate, percived exertion, or power on the bike. Different authors and coaches define different zones but they are all based off of the effort where your body goes from predominately aerobic metabolism to anaerobic which is much less efficient. Training in one zone vs the other is usually better than spending a lot of time in the middle

pschriver

If there is enough interest we could set up a day where everyone has their heart rate zone tested or you can do it yourself. If you do the test and send me your .fit file, I can tell you your HR zones. Another option vs. the test is to run a 10k. First 2 mile moderate pace and the next 3 as hard as you can (5k pace) you should not be able yo finish the race but you keep trying to maintain an unsustainable pace.

Field Test to determine HR zones

Run test protocol: 

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

• The 30 minute TT begins.

• At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.

• The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.

• You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.

15 minutes easy cool down. 

- See more at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633#sthash.Q01WHi85.dpuf

can you do it from my lactate threshold test that I did the other week? its on strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/455591597

lap 2 is the 20 min time trial

Lori

pschriver

can you do it from my lactate threshold test that I did the other week? its on strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/455591597

lap 2 is the 20 min time trial

165 is a good guess. You have a .fit Garmin file on your computer. You can plug that value into Golden Cheetah (free download @ goldencheetah.org) and separate the segments. Remember this value is only good for indoor training rides. Since you have a GSC-10 you are going to be much better off using virtual power on your indoor training rides. You HR threshold is a back-up to make sure your power numbers are accurate.

Your running threshold value and outdoor cycling threshold value will be different than your indoor trainer or treadmill numbers. By using a big fan inside you can get it closer but odds are, it will be off slightly

pschriver

Lori's Indoor HR Cycling Zone

Zone 1                 <134

Zone 2                 134-148

Zone 3                 149-154

Zone 4                 155-165

Zone 5a               166-169

Zone 5b               170-176

Zone 5c                176<

I'm not advocating using these numbers. Since power is available to you, use power.

thanks

so then I need to re do the test and go by power once I have the gcs10 installed?

Lori

pschriver

Yes although if Dr. Murrs recent experiment pans out you can do the whole test in 3 excruciating minutes. Hopefully I will get prliminary results fairly soon. Otherwise you et to enjoy the threshold test again. It isn't that bad