Pickens County Y Race Team

Half Ironman training group (Read 10 times)

pschriver

I'm not sure how much interest there will be but a HIM training program is a great way to stay fit, loose weight, learn about nutrition and stay in shape. The goal would be Tri-Charleston in mid April. It is a flat bike/run and an inland, fresh water lake. If you fall apart during training you can always drop down to the sprint distance. It is a great venue for a long weekend vacation. If we show enough real interest I will check on a group/team discount.

tweisner

Is it a Setup event?

With all the talking ya'll do about an Ironman event, I think if I were to train for a Half Ironman I would want to complete an Ironman branded event.  What Ironman half?  Augusta?  That seems the most reasonable to me.

The sprint in Charleston would be fun.

I enjoyed the sprints I did this year and there is room for improvement in those races for me.

- itri - 

pschriver

Tri-Charleston is a local event that uses Set-up for timing. It is a great venue. Augusta is on my short list but the venue sux. My apology goes out to anyone who likes the town but it is a dump. The swim is a breeze because the river helps, and the bike is flat, but the heat on the run is tough. I'm good with Augusta but will still be doing Charleston. One thing I learned a while back is the training for a half is not much different than the training for a half until the last couple of weeks when the pacing workouts start

What is HIM ?  we could do the charleston half and an ironman branded half a month or so later (whatever location sounds most appealing ) - I mean ,surely we would want to maintain that hard earned fitness Smile

Lori

pschriver

HIM=Half Iron Man distance (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 run)

IronMan and 70.3 are trademarked by the WTC so you have to throw in the word distance when you refer to these races that are not sanctioned by the WTC.

The biggest downside to the WTC events is the cost and driving distance. They also expect you to make a long weekend out of the race. No am bike check-in. You have to check in the day before. The races are well run and well attended. You also have to sign up preety quickly because some of the races sell out minutes after the registration starts.

I'm good with the idea of Charleston and Augusta and possibly a full at the end. Beach 2 Battleship and Cozumel would be at the top of my list for a full.

Traci, are you on-board?

I will not be growing any more children! I want in!!

Augusta IS a stinky town and I'm not overly excited about swimming in that sewage river (plus the weedy stuff)...and it is Hot! However, the course provides awesome spectator opportunity and it is well-supported and close! Decisions, decisions.

Definitely down for Rev3 though!

tweisner

There is a half ironman in Haines City, Fl on April 13, 2014.  That's like 30 minutes from Josh in Clermont.  We could do that one and crash at Josh's place for Spring Break.  And there's Raleigh in June.

Josh, make sure you buy a big enough house!

Count me in for the training and we'll see what I sign up for.  Just thinking about it makes me nervous.

Mike?  Marty?  Eric?  Cindy?  Marla?  Angela?  Bueller?  Anyone else?

- itri - 

I'm in ! Anywhere with a beach sounds good to me!

Lori

pschriver

I'm in ! Anywhere with a beach sounds good to me!

There is a beach in Augusta but Haley described the water quality pretty well.

River beaches don't count I'll take charleston or better - was looking at training plans on beginner triathlete and not sure which one or are we all going to follow same one? Some of those plans on the website are locked to members only.

Lori

pschriver

I'm a member but I'm not allowed to redistribute the plan but I will be happy to share what I have scheduled. I use the heart rate based plan but it is easy to convert to "perceived effort". I think one of the biggest mistake we make is thinking that the volume of training for a short race is less than a long race. In reality, to really get fast at at a short distance, you still need a decent volume. The long efforts for long course are done at low intensity so they don't end up as bad as you would think. This also translates into much faster short course times.

pschriver

The training plan will start up towards the end of Dec. For now I would think the best idea is to work on long aerobic sessions for the bike and run. 3-4 sessions of each and swim technique 3-4 sessions per week. If swim is a little weaker I would try to do a little more.

riding tomorrow after swim?

Lori

pschriver

I won't be able to ride. I have a birthday party for my daughter plus work

There is a half ironman in Haines City, Fl on April 13, 2014.  That's like 30 minutes from Josh in Clermont.  We could do that one and crash at Josh's place for Spring Break.  And there's Raleigh in June.

Josh, make sure you buy a big enough house!

Count me in for the training and we'll see what I sign up for.  Just thinking about it makes me nervous.

Mike?  Marty?  Eric?  Cindy?  Marla?  Angela?  Bueller?  Anyone else?

Sounds good to me!