Pickens County Y Race Team

Asheville bids for an Ironman (Read 15 times)

ehunter

pschriver

Slowtwitch always make and interesting read, I imagine the logistics of doing the race in Ashevile is going to be difficult. It will take a lot of buses to get all of the athletes and spectators  to the swim site. The down town area will be packed. If the race does happen in 2014 I will sign up. Im hoping to be in IM condition be 2014.

ehunter

Columbia has been in the field for an IM for several years now.  My understanding is that the city and IM are still working on logistics, but its fairly close to becoming official.  Im sure if Columbia gets it, then Asheville will not (and vice versa).  Asheville would be a much more appealing destination with a far better venue I think...the bike would be along the lines of Couer d'Alene I would think.

I thought you were doing Coz this year?

pschriver

I don't see Columbia ever getting it. Columbia has the reputation of being hot and humid. Rightfully earned. I think we underestimate how bad northern athletes fear heat and humidity. We train in it all summer and get acclimated but they don't have that luxury. I would be in at Lake Lure/Asheville but out if it is Lake Murry/Irmo. You might even catch me ?Dirty Dancing" in Lake Lure after the race.

ehunter

Columbia appears to be close.  Ive heard both a spring date and a fall date bantered around concerning Cola.

Its hot, but it sure isnt any hotter or more humid than Louisville in August.

This was in "Triathlete" magazine awhile back::

According to a South Carolina newspaper, the City of Columbia is working on bringing an Ironman event to the South.

Columbia officials want to host an Ironman triathlon, bringing the ultra-exclusive endurance race to the Carolinas for the first time and taking another step toward establishing Columbia as a fitness-friendly city.

Ironman officials will visit Columbia Monday to meet with city officials to review their proposal, according to Ric Luber, president and CEO of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports and Tourism. Mayor Steve Benjamin has thrown in his support, saying hosting an Ironman would be a “huge win not just for our city, but for our entire region.”

pschriver

That doesn't sound close to me. The wheels of the government turn very slowly.. I think Asheville has a much better chance. I also don't think Louisville is going to last much longer if it doesn't fill. It may get reduced to a 70.3.

ehunter

You'd be wrong about Louisville.  As far as Louisville not being around much longer, consider these facts:  Louisville is the 3rd largest branded IM in entry and the 4th largest in revenue generated from entry fees - bottom line, that race earns WTC mega-bucks..  Everyone assumes because it doesnt sell-out immediately means that it isnt as popular (due to heat and difficulty), however, Louisville has nearly 1000 more slots available than other IM events...and the event usually does sell out within a month or two of the race.  Not only those facts, but Louisville has 5 more years of contract left with WTC.  IMLOU aint going anywhere anytime soon!

Regarding an IM in Cola, it may possibly be closer than you think.  That newspaper article was actually from 2011, and IM has sent out a few other proposals for bids in SC, NC, and Va. and are said to be wanting to make a decision very soon and intend to make a large amount of progress toward so this spring.  Where that will be is a big mystery, but Cola is definately still in the mix.

That doesn't sound close to me. The wheels of the government turn very slowly.. I think Ashville has a much better chance. I also don't think Louisville is going to last much longer if it doesn't fill. It may get reduced to a 70.3.

alex-o

Slowtwitch always make and interesting read, I imagine the logistics of doing the race in Ashvile is going to be difficult. It will take a lot of buses to get all of the athletes and spectators  to the swim site. The down town area will be packed. If the race does happen in 2014 I will sign up. Im doping to be in IM condition be 2014.

Dude, aren't you a doctor.  Asheville..with an E, not Ashville.

Careful with that doping stuff - it didn't work out so well for Lance.

pschriver: "Columbia has the reputation of being hot and humid. Rightfully earned. I think we underestimate how bad northern athletes fear heat and humidity.   I would be in at Lake Lure/Ashville but out if it is Lake Murry/Irmo ."

WahhhhhWahhhhh!  Its a freakin Ironman, its suppose to be hard, maybe even hot and humid..  Oh, and you misspelled Asheville again.

recent story on slowtwitch about IM Asheville:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Ironman_Asheville_-_maybe_3499.html

ehunter

Very cool...I'd love to see that happen.  To have one that close would be great.  Looks like the locals oppose it, but the council is in favor.  It will be interesting.  They don't call it the San Francisco of the East Coast for nothing.

pschriver

Since I don't see you swimming much any-more Eric,

If you had a choice between Columbia or Asheville, which venue would you prefer?

ehunter

Yeah, this time of year its difficult to get training in, and almost impossible to keep a regular regimen.  I had to stop the biking and running with the knee issue, but I'm good to go with that now, I think.  Havent swam in a few weeks.

I'd rather see Asheville get the IM, hands down!  I think it will have the potential to be a really great race with a fantastic course.  If it happens, it will become an extremely popular race I believe - one that will sell out very fast like Florida and many of the others (usually within 6-7 minutes of going online)..  I like the idea of a fairly diffcult bike, ie: Coure d'Alene, Placid, Louisville, Wisconsin, and I think that will make it even more popular.  If it is indeed on the BRP, that would be awesome.  Races with the scenic bike courses tend to become big and very popular.

I dont like the idea of a point to point race with 2 transition areas, but thats minor.  The good outweighs the bad.  Another concern would be the timing if they are actually looking at Labor Day weekend.  If the bike is on the BRP, I wonder if thought has been given to just how much traffic is on that parkway during Labor Day weekend.  I'm sure thats been considered.  It'll be interested to see if it happens, and if not, where it will be.  I love the idea of having it so close to us.

Did you decide on Coz this year of not?

Since I don't see you swimming much any-more Eric,

If you had a choice between Columbia or Asheville, which venue would you prefer?

pschriver

I have been looking at airline tickets and hotel rooms but haven't confirmed anything. The thought of 6 hour bike rides and 4 hour runs is a little daunting at the moment. I will make a decision soon

ehunter

For me, on one hand I am missing the long training, but on the other hand, I am enjoying NOT having the long training.  When time and recovery allow for it, I'll get back into steady training, but I'm still not sure of what I'll do this year.  Definately not an IM...maybe a fall HIM.  I don't know - maybe just train to stay fit and healthy and not worry about a race.  Maybe I'll just fish all summer and hunt all fall...that sounds kinda nice.

ehunter

Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head have thrown their hats into the ring and will be bidding on hosting the race as well.  My understanding is that there are over 40  southeastern cities (Ala, Ga, SC, NC, Va) competing for this particular race, and at this time, it is the desire of WTC that the race will be first ran in September 2014. WTC is expected to make their final decision on the race location by early July.

Both sites would be nice, but I still hope Asheville lands it.