RA Coaching Forum

Frequency or length of runs ? (Read 381 times)

Prophet!

I know the ultimate answer is both, but during your base building, do you prefer lots of short runs or few rest days here and there with longer runs to build your mileage...last year i tried the latter and never quite got over 40 consistently, without getting hurt. This year i'm trying to run shorter miles, lots of runs route and see if that will allow me to get over the hump.

I've done both. When I used to run in college (85 to 120 miles per week) I ran twice per day 5 or 6 days per week, usually 3 to 7 in the morning and 7 to 12 in the afternoon, with races on saturday and long runs on sunday. These days, I'll double a couple of times per week sometimes, but most doubles have one workout as cross training. Most runs are in the 5-8 mile range, with long runs on the weekends. I'll take a day off every week or 3, weather dependant.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I find going out for 5-8km easy on 'rest' days helps more for injury prevention than doing nothing, myself.
          I find going out for 5-8km easy on 'rest' days helps more for injury prevention than doing nothing, myself.
          Same for me. I would add too that I believe those slower "rest" miles improve overall fitness, and if weight is an issue it all they help you to stay thin. No need to shorten longer runs either, imo, to make room for a few extra easy miles.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33