RA Coaching Forum

Eispickel Training (4-1)!!! (Read 858 times)

Marquess of Utopia

Spring and early summer races have been rewarding this year. I hope I have just as much success in the fall. Fall Races Sep 28th: 10mile race (more of a training race) Oct 19th: 1/2 Marathon (Goal Race; looking to break an almost 10 year old PR). Nov 16th: Route 66 Marathon (finish and not blow up) I'll post my training plan soon; please feel free to make comments. I have a question on my Tempo runs. I usually shoot for 6:10 to 5:55, if the temperature is nice, it's flat course, and I feel well rested I have no problem maintaining my goal pace. My trouble is finding the right pace if it's too hot out, on a hilly course or if I'm a little tired. If I start out too fast I'll pay for it; and the quality of the workout will suffer. How do you find the right pace? I just started to use a HRM, but even that seems a bit deceiving. If I start out “to fast” then have to slow down to a 6:50 pace my heart rate will stay in or near that tempo zone. Am I still getting a good tempo workout in as long as I keep my heart rate up?

Are you warming up with an easy pace prior to getting into the tempo pace?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Marquess of Utopia

About a 2 mile warm-up.

Marquess of Utopia

Marquess of Utopia

The first three weeks of this 21 week program were a build up phase. Long runs consisted of 15.5, 18 and a 20 mile long run. I ran a 5K on the 4th just for fun in 17:10. Week 4: 7/14 - 7/20 Rest phase: 53 miles, 14 mile long run.
              I've run on a HRM (very limited, I hate the things), but it did help confirm that I can feel what a tempo run should be. I've found that I can determine if I'm on pace by the amount of conversation I could hold during the run. Basically, if I can utter "yes, turn here" or "no, not yet" or something like that (nothing more), than I'm reasonably on pace for the tempo run.
              And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Future running partner.

The first three weeks of this 21 week program were a build up phase. Long runs consisted of 15.5, 18 and a 20 mile long run. I ran a 5K on the 4th just for fun in 17:10. Week 4: 7/14 - 7/20 Rest phase: 53 miles, 14 mile long run.
                Hey man, awesome job! Cool Your training is showing very good consistency and progression.

Marquess of Utopia

Week 5 completed: 6 mile tempo run on Tuesday. 7 miles of hills on Thursday. 21 mile long run with a 7 miles at a solid pace. I really enjoyed this weeks long run I incorporated a destination race. Woke up early Saturday morning ran 12 miles at ~7:20 pace. Then lined up for the Bix 7 race one minute before the gun went off. Race splits. Then a two mile cool down. I'm glad that I don't feel too sore today. Next week: 5 miles of tempo on Tuesday. 1x2mile @ 1/2; 2x1 mile @ 10k; 2x800 @ 5k on Thursday. and a 20 mile long run at normal pace.

Marquess of Utopia

Week 6 completed: Felt sluggish Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Tuesday (noon) was a tempo day but it turned into more of a easy run / marathon pace run. Tuesday night I ran 6 miles easy. Wednesday 6am was a recovery run. It was nice to run 3 times in less than 24 hours to simulate the Ragnar Relay comming up on the 22nd. Saturday was a 20 mile long run it felt easy I feel like my legs are getting stronger. I feel like I should shoot for 6:45 pace for my marathon. This week: 5 miles of tempo on Tuesday. 6x1200 on Thursday. 15 mile long run at normal pace on Saturday.

I feel like I should shoot for 6:45 pace for my marathon.
                      Sub-3 hours is pretty solid. Have you run that before, or is last year's 3:44 your PR right now?

Run to Win

Marquess of Utopia

Sub-3 hours is pretty solid. Have you run that before, or is last year's 3:44 your PR right now?
                        3:44 was my first and only attempt at the marathon. My IT Band became aggravated at mile 21 and I had to walk or run with a limp for the last 5 miles of the race. I don’t think my body was ready for that many miles at a 7 min pace. I’ve more than doubled the amount of mileage that I was running last year, and increased the intensity proportionately. June 20K 2007: 1:23:33 June 20K 2008: 1:16:34 July 5K 2007: 18:59 July 5K 2008: 17:10 I have been thinking about running a 20 mile long run at 6:45 pace to see how it feels. My goal race for this year is a half marathon 4 weeks before the marathon. I’m setting a goal time of 1:20:00.

My goal race for this year is a half marathon 4 weeks before the marathon. I’m setting a goal time of 1:20:00.
                          If you can run 80 minutes in the half a month out then you should be in good shape for the full marathon. Good plan.

Run to Win

Marquess of Utopia

Week 7 completed: Felt much better this week. Tuesday was a 5 mile tempo day but it turned into a tempo interval running two mile at T-pace, then slowing down for a mile to slog though some mud. Followed by a miles 5:50 (upper end of T-pace), then marathon pace for a mile, then a final 5:55 mile (ten miles total with warm-up and cool-down). Thursday was a solid session of 6 x 1200 meters (4:04 - 4:14) with 60 seconds recovery. Saturday was a 15 mile long run that felt like crap at the end (too much boozing the night before). The Goal was to run about 7 miles a marathon pace. Things got a little out of hand and it turned into a race, so a few of the miles were closer to T-pace and a few of the miles at the end were closer to 7:00 min pace. This week: 5-6 miles of tempo on Tuesday. Moving 22 miles long run up to Thursday. Hope to get some miles in on Friday and Saturday.

Marquess of Utopia

Week 8 & 9 completed: Week 8: I Moved the 22 mile long run up to Tuesday. Felt great Ran the last four miles at about 6:30 pace. Thursday 2 x 2 miles on a hilly course. Left for holiday on Friday. Went to the Milwaukee Irish Fest on Saturday. Week 9: Fartlek on Monday. Unintensionally destroyed my legs on the hilly trail run on Tuesday. Easy run Wednesday with one minute strides. Friday and Saturday Ragnar Great River Relay Leg one 11pm: 6.8 miles 6:02 pace (kept the pace under control, saving myself for the last two legs) Only 20 minutes of sleep Leg two 6:30am: 5 miles 5:55 pace (200ft net elevation gain, I didn't save much for the last leg) Leg three 12:30pm: 4.4 miles 5:47 pace (I had no idea I was going to run that fast, I kept looking at the Garmin and challenging myself to maintain this pace for as long as possible) This week: 6x800 on Tuesday, hills or tempo on Thursday. 20 miles on Saturday. ~ 64 miles total

Marquess of Utopia

Week 10 completed: Since the 6x800 on tuesday my hamstring and butt has been sore/tight. I ran two easy runs on wednesday. Thursday I ran about a 7:00 pace for the hills; which is much easier than my normal hill workout. Saturday was great. Averaged 7:06 for 20 miles; I could have gone faster. I've run 5 20-22 mile runs this summer, and I have two left before the marathon. I was going to run a 3 hour long run sometime but I don't think that will be necessary if I am training to run a sub 3 hour marathon. This week: 5 miles of tempo on Tuesday. 6 x 1200's on Thursday, but if my hamstrings are still tight I may go for a tempo run or two (or three) x two mile. Short 15 mile long run on Saturday.