RA Coaching Forum

CR's training journal (Read 632 times)

C-R

Alrighty then. Here starts my build up to my fall goal marathon for BQ. I need 8 minutes. Race is Nov 7 here in Indy and it is flat (big surprise). Current plans are to stay over 50 mpw through the summer. 6 to 7 days of running. 4 or 5 easy days which I ascribe to being in the LHR realm of anything less than 138 BPM (see low heart rate training group for details or read Maffetone books). Two challenging workouts per week. I plan to mix these each week between fartleks, track work (800s or 1200s repeats at 5k), intervals, HM pace during long runs and hill repeats (if I can find any good ones around here other than parking garages). Once I hit September, I plan to sharpen by increasing MP miles during long runs up to 17 (I get this number by figuring my longest run will be around 21 or 22 miles and I would get 2 miles of warm up and cool down and be able to push the pace the rest of the way) and increasing weekly miles into the 60 mpw range. So what do you think? I'm not real keen on a daily plan as I like to keep things fluid and don't want to be a slave to the schedule (takes the fun out of it for me). Open to suggestions as I want that BQ.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Alrighty then. Here starts my build up to my fall goal marathon for BQ. I need 8 minutes. Race is Nov 7 here in Indy and it is flat (big surprise). So what do you think? I'm not real keen on a daily plan as I like to keep things fluid and don't want to be a slave to the schedule (takes the fun out of it for me). Open to suggestions as I want that BQ.
      I'm useless for advice, simply not enough experience. I like the fact you know you don't like being a slave to a daily plan, but will do 6-7 days of running (4-5 easy). It seems smart to stretch your MP running in september. Keep training and I bet you get the BQ.

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

C-R

Thanks CC. I'm an engineer and I know my weak spots - data and schedules. If I fixate on those I miss the fun and joy in running. I see you are planning MCM (great race except that last hill to the Iwo Jima Monument). Looking forward to seeing your plan now that you have one under your belt.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Future running partner.

Once I hit September, I plan to sharpen by increasing MP miles during long runs up to 17 (I get this number by figuring my longest run will be around 21 or 22 miles and I would get 2 miles of warm up and cool down and be able to push the pace the rest of the way) and increasing weekly miles into the 60 mpw range.
          Do you consider your long run as one of the two challenging workouts. If not, that's ok until you start doing those fast finish or mp long runs. At that point you may want to start giving yourself an extra easy day.
          C-R

Once I start doing the long run with larger portions at HM or MP I will think of them as hard workouts. Up to then I plan two other speed/strength workouts. I watched Lydiard hill workouts and like the idea of working these into the routine.

Prince of Fatness

CR, I like the idea of mixing it up. If you keep it flexible you can back off or do a little more depending how you feel. It doesn't hurt to break up the monotony. The general plan of running consistent mileage with the quality work thrown in is still there. One question... What are your racing plans for this cycle? Since the marathon is November you should be able to find a half 3 or 4 weeks out I would think.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

There is a half on Oct 10 in Evansville that I plan to use as a gage. Ideally I would want another week of receovery but I think 4 weeks should do the trick. I have lots of friends there and its a nice course so I am a definite there. Other than that I plan on running 5Ks and 10ks as I can during the summer. Its dificult to plan with kids playing soccer, baseball, and lacross. My running plan is Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

C-R

Slight change of plans. I am now using McMillan's pace recommendations based on my most recent HM, 5K and M. I plan to incorporate the paces as follows: Long run on Sat or Sun at pace - min of 14 Recovery run Easy run next Easy run with Lydiard hill workout Recovery run Tempo run Recovery run I plan to do this at 50 - 55 mpw. At 16 weeks our of my goal marathon I will add MP runs into the long run.

Future running partner.

If you plan on doing any races between now and your marathon. On the weeks that you have a weekend race I wouldn't do the hill workout. The Lydiard style hill workout can leave your legs feeling stiff for a few days my cause you to be flat on your races. I'd replace it with some repeat 100's or 200's with long active rests on the track. These aren't nearly as intense and they keep your legs loose, for the race. Also, I don't know if I would run the Lydiards every week until the fall race. When you feel like they are getting fairly easy I would change it up and start doing more intervals or speed repetitions. The variety will keep the training challenging and keep you from plateauing as much.