RA Coaching Forum

Blaine's Training Journal (50 miles sub-6:38:59) (Read 664 times)

Future running partner.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks! 1 more night to go. My goal of sub-7(ish) I think is unrealistic. The elevation is only 2500 feet or so, but since I live and train at sea level (the elevation at my house is 100 feet, at work is about 5 feet) I can definitely tell the difference. Hopefully the smog is stuck inside this bowl that las vegas is in and there isn't much of it out in the desert where the race is. Looking like good conditions - a little warmer than I want but hopefully the temperature stays in the 50s. No or calm winds expected (6 mph) so hopefully it's enough to help cool me off and not enough to make a tough head wind. Unfortunately, not much in the way of sleep these past few days. Who knew that Vegas would encourage somebody to stay up later than they are used to? Heheh.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ran a sub-8, was the 6th overall, and 1st for the 20-29 crowd. 7:58 pace was unrealistic so I never bothered trying to run that (did manage a few miles below that in the last 4 miles, though, which was nice.) More to follow, final time was 7:47:?? (official results aren't online yet and I didn't stop my watch right away.) I can now tell people with a straight face that I can run for 50 miles, and I won't be blowing smoke out my ass.

Run to Win

Future running partner.

AWESOME!!! It blows my mind that your 50 miler pace is not much slower than my Tempo Pace.

AWESOME!!! It blows my mind that your 50 miler pace is not much slower than my Tempo Pace.
            Thanks! I finished my race report, finally! I wrote most of it this morning but had to come in to work and realized when I got here than about 1/3 of it didn't get saved for some reason. (Apparently the preview button in wordpress doesn't save your draft.) So, I had about an hour and a half to rewrite (which was much faster as I had a general idea of what to say) and then just had to finish it up and polish it a little. Lots of words, lots of splits, lots of pictures: http://news.runtowin.com/2009/01/09/running-from-an-angel-50-miler.html There are also links to my training schedule (which is basically just a summary of this thread), how I prepared the week before the race, and exactly what I ate during the race at the top & bottom of the race report. I still need to write about my recovery from the race, but I'm going to wait until after I go snowshoeing this weekend to write about that. I also am waiting on some photos that a friend took that I hear are rather humorous.

Run to Win