RA Coaching Forum

Not sure what to do next. (Read 315 times)

Hi, New to the group and was looking for a little advice. First of all, I'm 38 years old and have been running for 24 years, have a 5000m PR of 15:41 (ran back in my college days). I know by this time I should know what to do with regards to 5k training, but I always have a hard time putting all the elements together since I haven't had a real coach in years. Think I just don't trust myself. I completed my first race of the season today with a 19:40 5k over a pretty hilly course and in hot/humid conditions. I'm competing in a local race series that includes 7 races ranging from 5ks to one 10 mile race. It started today (June 14th) and finishes with a 5 miler in November. A lot of training programs out there focus on getting ready for one goal race during a season. I've been referring to Daniel's Running Formula a lot and it's a great book, but again seems to point towards a goal race. How can one train to be competative over a season lasting a couple of months? Is it even possible? Love to get my 5k times down to the low 18s. The closest I came last year was 18:34, so I think it's not too unrealistic a goal. Would also like to be competative over the 5 mile distance and that one 10 mile race. Am I asking too much here? Thanks in advance for any input! Chris
      Chris, welcome to group. I hear what you're saying about Daniels (and all the other running authors that I've read) focusing the plans on a goal race. I would say just getting your weekly and monthly mileage back to (or above) where you were in April will help. If it were me, I would build a plan that focused on the 10 miler. I would train through most of the 5Ks as good tempo (or better) workouts. Maybe taper a little bit for one or two of the 5Ks and the 5/10 milers. This technique has worked well for me while training for marathons while setting PRs in shorter races along the way. I was able to take 10 minutes off my HM PR and 6 minutes off my 10K PR over 6ish month time span during 2 consecutive marathon training cycles. I'm sure some of the much more experienced runners will be along shortly to give you some great advice though. Good luck! MTA: Forgot to ask. How long is the race series?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't have an answer for you, but I would mention that I've seen Lydiard has some training plans for doing multiple marathons in a season. Perhaps there are plans out there for you. Keep looking? Welcome to the group!

Roads were made for journeys...

Future running partner.

Hey Chris, and welcome. Sounds like you are already doing pretty awesome. For this season that you are currently in Mike has given you some really good advice. To add to it. I would increase the distance of your long runs. Perhaps by a mile each week until you reach about 2hrs. This will get you ready for the 10 miler and also help with the 10k. The 5ks for the most part will serve as speed/tempo styled workouts. As you get within a few weeks of the 10k and 10miler maybe run some tempo runs at your goal pace for those races. If you are running 5k's every week, you really won't need any fast/hard interval training. I would maybe incorporate some stride sessions and maybe some hill workouts to help with your speed for the 5k and finish of the 10k. Also have 3 key runs a week, 1rst is the Long run, second workout could be tempo or hills. 3rd workout would be a race, long intervals or hills. The rest of the week should be recovery days. Wink
            Thanks to all who have responded. Really good advice. To answer Bonkin's question about the series. The race series is put on by one of our local hospitals. There are 7 races: 3 - 5ks, 2 - 5 milers, and one 10 miler. The series started this past weekend and ends in November with one of the 5 mile races. You gain points by how you finish in your age group. It's a nice series, won my age group last year and looking to repeat. I want to perform pretty well through the series and earn as much points as I can, but trying to develop a system around this goal has been difficult. There's also sooo much training advice out there that it's hard to decide what to follow. I know I tend to fade as my races progress, so the increased mileage and tempo runs may help. Thanks again to all. Chris

Future running partner.

6 months is a really long time to try and hold a peak for. The deminishing times maybe a sign of overtraining (too long a period of doing hard intervals)You may be able to hold a peak for the final 2 months, 3 would be strectching it. If you choose this route the earlier race times may not be as good. The other possibility is to attempt multiple peaks. In this scenario You choose a block of races to run your best at perhaps early to mid season, then start a new mini cycle of traing to peak again toward the end of the season. Either way you go some races will have to be a bit slower than others, but at least your less likely to deminish from the start to the end of the season and your less likely to overtrain. For next year I would plan on building a very large base, with lots of easy miles with some aerobic tempo/intervals, but no hard running, during the off season
                Thanks, Chris. Looks like you have plenty of time to get some good training in over the upcoming months.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks again for all the input. Need to put some of this advice into action.