RA Coaching Forum

WBF's 18 weeks before 1rst Baby training. (Read 471 times)

Future running partner.

I'm back! I've done a couple of runs and the ankle finally feels good enough to run on w/o any residual soreness during or after the run. We are having our first baby which is due mid July Big grin. So knowing that life is going to change pretty dramatically at that point. I don't think I'll be able to do very intense training for a while once he comes. So I am going to focus on the next 18 weeks leading up to July 4th to get as fast as I can. Then once the baby comes just try to maintain conditioning, not be so structured and have fun. The plan is to do 8 weeks of base training by running up to 10.5 hours a week of low intensity/hr training with lots of striders and core training after the short days, to maintain speed. Then the next 8 weeks switch over to recording by miles and have 2-3 key workouts per week. Then finish with a 2 week taper. The details of the key workouts is TBD.

Oh Mighty Wing

CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!!

Future running partner.

CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!!
        Thanks!!! We are soooo excited! Well this week has been a bit humbling for starters. Since we have had a lot of ice the last couple of days I've done runs on a treadmill, the last few days. Keeping my efforts the same as they would be for easy run a before my getting sick/injured (which is a max hr of between 142 and 152 during a run. I can only manage about a 12 min/mile pace and even still after about 45min my HR is still getting up into the higher 150s. I have notice that with each run it is taking longer for my HR to elevate. So perhaps by next week my easy runs my start to get back to being close to what they where prior to my layoff. I just need to be patient and persistent again. I have been good about supplemental training so far. I did 4 30 second strides on the treadmill after the run yesterday. The good thing was that 11 mph felt pretty smooth and comfortable, so I think I still have my speed at least. Today I did a little core workout at the gym using the machines, so I may be a little sore tomorrow.
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I have notice that with each run it is taking longer for my HR to elevate. So perhaps by next week my easy runs my start to get back to being close to what they where prior to my layoff. I just need to be patient and persistent again.
          I'm sure the persistence will pay off and look forward to hearing how things develop. Congratulations on the baby!

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Future running partner.

Thanks Chris! I finished my first successful week since my ankle sprain. It started off extremely slow to were even on the treadmill at 12min/mi my HR would reach up into high 160's and would avg in the high 150's. To put things in perspective, before getting sick/injured I could maintain a pace of sub 11/mi but my hr would stay in the low 140's. Friday's run was looked promising. 60 minutes on a very hilly route and I was able to run an avg pace of 11:37 w/ an avg hr of 151. To finish off the week I wanted to get in a mountain bike ride and a long run. Since it's the first week back, I capped the long run to just 100min. I didn't worry about my hr and just focused on keeping an easy comfortable pace that felt efficient. My avg hr did go up to 157 and I think toward the end it reached to around 170. But my avg pace was faster at 10:54. Yesterday's mountain bike ride was fun for about the first 30 minutes but I got really tired after that. I am definitely out of mtb shape. My approach to base building this time will be a little different this time. Since I only have 8 weeks of base this time around, I really don't have the time or patience for the LHR training. For this week I am planning to try and keep my pace around 11min/mi. At this pace I feel pretty comfortable and I don't feel as if I am forcing myself to run slower and less mechanically efficient. As I get more fit I should notice that my hr will get lower and lower. When I can maintain that pace and my avg hr is below 145. Then I will increase the pace to about 10:45. Then repeat the process over the next 7 weeks. Slowly increasing the speed I can run aerobically. For this week the goal is to get up to 7hrs and 20mins of running and increase my long run to 2hrs.

Future running partner.

Finished week 2. Although not exactly as planned. My long run for week 2 was pushed into week 3 (Monday). So instead of 7.5 hours I only managed 6.5 hours. For week 3 instead of 8:10 (hours:minutes) of running it will be 9:10 of running. I do feel my aerobic conditioning coming back. For a given pace my avg HR is getting closer to were it was pre-sickness/injury. Or for a given hr my pace is increasing. In other words a couple of weeks ago while barely running a sub 12 pace my HR would approach 160 toward the end of an hour long run. This week I was able to complete a 2hr run at a sub 11 pace and my hr only really started to climb into the high 150's after about 90 min. Also hr increase was due to a faster pace at the end of the run (low 10's). My HR on the treadmill is getting lower too. On the treadmill my pace/incline is 5mph/1%. Originally at the end of a 30 minute run HR would be in the low 160's at the end and is now at about 147 at the end of 50 minutes. Five and a half more weeks of Base build up left before I start to do the intense speed/strength workouts again.

Future running partner.

Good week! Started out by making up for the week before's long run w/ a 2hr early morning run Monday. I wasn't able to get in the complete 1:40 of running Wednesday so I made up for it with 1:20 run on Thursday instead of the scheduled 50 min run. Then Friday I did my mid week long of 1:40 at Lake Johnson. There was about a 2% improvement of pace/hr on this run compared to 2 weeks ago, and this run was 40 min longer. I finished the week off with a 2:10 long run. I started off at my usual pace, around 11min/mi. The HR took a while to get up. At about 1:40 into the run I was feeling tired, my hr was starting to creep up, but then I noticed my mile splits were quite a bit faster, low 10's, even on more uphill miles. By the last couple of miles I was running mid below 10/mi. What was weird was I didn't feel like I was running any faster or harder. Last week looks like a big jump in mileage but the week started off with a long run that was supposed to occur the week before. This week will probably be about the same mileage, since only one long run will occur this week. All the other runs will increase by about 10 minutes though. I may run a half marathon Saturday, but I am supposed to give blood that afternoon. So I am not sure if it will be safe.

Future running partner.

Finished off another 50+ week. Exactly as planned. I ran a successful half on Saturday too. With a finishing time of 1:50:45. I knocked about 19 minutes off my PR. Granted my PR was during the second half of a marathon, so this was an easy task. I actually set out 3 goals. Low level was to get a PR, mid level was sub 2hrs high level was sub 1:50. Man I came close to that high level one. There was about a 3 mile stretch between mile 7 and 10 that was really hilly. I also started out a little too fast for the first few miles. If it wasn't for that I think I would have broke 1:50. It was good race considering I am only about 4 weeks into my training since my injury and hadn't done any quality training sessions yet either. This week I plan to reach my peak mileage but still base train. It will consist of 3 x 60 min recovery-easy runs. One 2-a-day with a 80min and 40 min run. A mid week long run of 2hrs and finish off with a 2.5hr long run this weekend. My quads are still really, really sore. So I'll try and start with a 60 min recovery run tonight.

Future running partner.

Interesting week. It started off with my quads feeling really sore from the Half Marathon the Saturday before. Thursday the weather was miserable out and I was feeling tired that day too so I decided to take my off day for the week early. Friday the weather was real nice, I was off work, DW was at work, so I figured I would take advantage of all the time and do my extra long run for the week of 2.5 hrs. My legs were finally feeling recovered from the HM. I decided to run a nice scenic route called the Reedy Creek Greenway/Trail. I features a paved trail hat runs by Meredith College, The NC museum of Art with some odd looking sculptures along the trail, a pedestrian bridge, a couple of tunnels and some natrual surface trails through a state park. I planned on an out and back run of 1:15 out and 1:15 back. I didn't set the heart rate alerts on the Garmin. I tried to hydrate before the run. Most of the run felt pretty good. The pace was a little faster than I normaly start with for a long run. I also noticed my HR was already about 10-15 bpm higher right from the beginning. My mouth dried up pretty quickly, and no matter how much I drank it would just dry up right away. The course was very hilly, When I was about half way back I started to feel pretty crappy. I pace was picking up cause I just wanted to get back to my car. The last two miles felt horrible, very hilly and my HR was approaching LT despite being about 2 min/mi slower than the race the weekend before. When I was only about a quarter mile from my car I hit 14 miles. At this point I felt so bad I just stopped and walked the rest of the way back to my car. I haven't felt this bad on a run in about a year. I was pretty much wasted for the rest of the day. The next day I wanted to do a recovery run of about an hour, but DW had me doing spring cleaning all day. I also did some yard work (pulling weeds), so the run kind of fell off the list of things to do that day. Sunday I was feeling really sore and still tired. Also it was in the 80's by the time I got a chance to head out and run, so I was only planning to do an easy hour. Once I hit a few miles into the run I started feeling good and by the time I got to an hour I just kept going for another hour. This run felt pretty good. Despite missing a scheduled day I still managed to get close to 50 in, This week, I am feeling really sore in my groin muscles and my inner thighs, Probably from the weed pulling or something. But running is really uncomfortable again for the first few miles and I am really sore after sittin down fro a while. Hopefully this will go away soon. This week the plan is to do about 9.5hrs of running.
                    C-R

Good work since the ankle issue. One thing to note from personal experience - the soreness is a marker for muscle stress. For me it happended when I adapted from 30 mpw to 40 mpw and again moving to 50 mpw. What really helped me was active recovery walking and a good focus on post workout stretching. Not hard stretching but gentle with just enough to notice. The walking is not planned per se but rather I keep moving and add distance (park at the back of lots on errands, walk to the local grocery, walk the dog an extra time, etc.). This helps me quite a bit. I put this piece together after running Disney so many times. After the race(s), we are off to the parks to walk most of the day. I noticed less effects when doing this and can only attribute this to keeping muscles active in a non-stress way. Might be of help.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Future running partner.

Finished another 47.5 mile week. I was planning to hit about 53 but I ended up drinking to many beers at my friends house on Easter Sunday to want to go run that evening. So I only ran 5 days last week. My long run felt much, much better this week. I started out much slower this time. Around 11min/mi and gradually sped up to around 9:30/mi. Even though I was tired during the last half hour it felt more tiresome to run slower. This week will hopefully be 50+ Friday will be my day off because I am going surfing down in Wrightsville NC all day. My long run on will be on Sunday. This is my second to last week of base training before I start developing speed and stamina again.

Future running partner.

Busy week last week. My overall pace was a little faster last week w/o much change in avg HR. A good sign. The only major downside to last week was that Thursday was supposed be a midweek long run of 2hrs. I only had time to get in an hour. I was going to try to make up for it Friday and make it a full 7 day run week but I woke up with a real nasty headache, so I aloud myself to sleep in with some Tylenol. When I woke for the second time my friend had arrived for our surf trip. We ended up surfing for 4 to 5 hours in very choppy, shifty, windy conditions with a strong current. We were both very worn out at the end of the day. This was my core work for the week because paddling forces you to use back muscles very heavily in order to get leverage for each stroke through the water. Not to mention my shoulder and neck became pretty sore as well. Because of the day off running Saturday's run was pretty fast without much effort. Sunday felt pretty good too, good enough to decide to complete a full 15 with the last couple of miles at about 9:40 pace. After Sunday's run I immediately started to yard work for a few hours. Combined with the long run this pretty much wiped me out too. This week: Monday morning my legs (knee and ankle joints) where feeling sore. I decided to wait and run in the evening on the treadmill. It never happened I got caught up on some house work that I needed to get done. Today a did a double with an hour this morning and another 40min at lunch. Both runs felt good and avged in the low 10s w/ hr around 80-85% of LT. Not too shabby. Tomorrow will be an 80 minute run then a 2 hr midweek run on Thursday morning. Friday will be a 1hr recovery run. Saturday will be another 1hr easy run and Sunday will be another 15 miler to finish off my last week of base buildup spanning back the last 8 weeks. Next week will begin Lydiard style hill workouts and tempo runs with lots of recovery runs in between, while maintaining a weekly long run of 15 miles.

Future running partner.

Last week of base: Not a bad week but not complete either. I had some very fast pace runs with low HR's in the beginning of the week. This included a 2 hr long run on Thursday. I ended up missing Saturday and Sunday, on account that I was building large shed with my father in law. He was only in town for a few days and we where trying to build in a very difficult location which made it take a while. So I really didn't have the time or energy to do any running over the weekend. All totaled I spent about 42 hours working on the shed this weekend. This week marks the beginning of the Hill phase. Tomorrow I'll do my first hill workout, since early January. I'm going to run it Lydiard style but take it easy at first by just doing hard running up the hills instead of plyometrics. Thursday or Friday will be a tempo run that will start with an easy 4 miles, then 3 miles hard, then a 1 mile cooldown. To finish the week I'll do 12-15 miles for a long run. I plan to get around 50 mpw again.

Future running partner.

Not real happy with the way training is going lately. I missed my long run last week, so my mileage was significantly lower. This is 2 weeks in a row that I have only managed <40 mpw.="" i="" have="" also="" been="" feeling="" under="" the="" weather="" and="" rundown="" the="" last="" few="" days.="" on="" the="" bright="" side="" i="" have="" completed="" 2="" hill="" workouts="" and="" 1="" tempo="" run="" so="" far.="" it's="" been="" tough="" getting="" used="" to="" the="" anaerobic="" stuff,="" but="" its="" getting="" there.="" i="" do="" my="" hill="" workouts="" lydiard="" style.="" which="" consists="" of="" multiple="" sets="" of="" 2="" x="" 200m="" uphills,="" 5%="" incline,="" doing="" either="" fast="" overstriding,="" bounding,="" springing="" or="" some="" form="" of="" plyometric.="" 1="" x="" 200m="" downhill="" fast="" stride.="" 2="" x="" 200m="" sprints="" on="" relatively="" flat="" ground.="" between="" each="" hard/fast="" section="" is="" an="" active="" recovery="" jog="" until="" hr="" gets="" below="" 150.="" each="" set="" is="" about="" 1.5="" miles="" so="" overall="" the="" workout="" is="" about="" 8="" miles="" including="" a="" 1="" mile="" warmup="" and="" cooldown.="" the="" first="" session="" last="" week,="" i="" was="" only="" able="" to="" complete="" 3="" sets.="" i="" knew="" i="" needed="" to="" stop="" after="" 3="" because="" it="" was="" taking="" forever="" to="" recover="" from="" each="" hard="" workbout.="" i="" also="" just="" stuck="" to="" hard="" running="" with="" extended="" stride="" on="" the="" uphills="" in="" order="" to="" ease="" into="" these="" workouts.="" this="" week="" i="" managed="" to="" do="" the="" required="" 4="" sets="" and="" i="" progressively="" felt="" better="" during="" this="" workout.="" my="" legs="" are="" pretty="" dead="" now="" though.="" they="" should="" feel="" better="" by="" saturday's="" 10k="" race.="" my="" first="" tempo="" run="" of="" the="" season="" wasn't="" bad.="" i="" avged="" a="" 7:28="" pace="" for="" 3="" miles,="" over="" hilly="" terrain.="" which="" is="" faster="" than="" my="" first="" tempo="" run,="" last="" training="" cycle,="" this="" past="" december.="" tomorrow="" i="" am="" going="" to="" make="" up="" for="" last="" weeks="" missed="" long="" run="" with="" an="" easy="" 12="" miler.="" then="" on="" saturday="" i="" have="" a="" 10k="" race="" to="" run.="" i'm="" aiming="" high="" for="" this,=""></40><45 but i think i have it in me. if not, there are more races to come. but="" i="" think="" i="" have="" it="" in="" me.="" if="" not,="" there="" are="" more="" races="" to=""></45 but i think i have it in me. if not, there are more races to come.>
                              C-R

Couple of down weeks should help keep the legs fresh. I've run into this and the miles seemed to come naturally without pushing it. I like the hill workout idea as I was watching some Lydiard videos and would be interested in seeing what results you see.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/