Chicago Area Runners

Local Race Report (Read 193 times)

Sticky thread for sharing about local races. If you have run a local race, share your thoughts, results, etc.

Ryan

Run for Cover 5K in Elk Grove Village - 10/25/08 I took part in the Run for Cover 5K in Elk Grove Village about two weeks ago. Overall, it was a good experience as this was my first race of the fall season. (Late I know as I was out for about a month over the summer with a rib injury) Now that I am getting back into shape, I am glad to have one run under my belt. This race was for a good cause to help end temporary homelessness and Support HomeAid Chicago. There was a pledge drive involved as well, which I was not taking part in. The field was relatively small with only 94 total participants. As a result, the field spread out pretty quick and we didn't waste any time getting into pace. I started in about 7th place and proceeded to pace a few people before I settled into 4th place around the 1/2 mile mark. At this point, David Pittman was trailing me and running off my shoulder. He was pretty much the only runner within 200 meters of me from this point on throughout the race. I came through the first mile at 6:25 which was right on pace for where I was wanting to be. I reached the turnaround point with David still right on my back. At the turnaround point, I had some confusion as I didn't understand the instructions given by the race volunteer. Aparently, there where 3 cones and I was suppose to run in between them. This seemed a little more confusing than it needed to be. I tried to go around all 3 cones but saw David cutting through the middle. The volunteer was gestering me back in the alternate direction, but by this time it was too late. I tried to turn on a dime, but I ended up hitting pavement when I slipped on the wet ground. I came up quickly and only lost about 5 seconds. David had slowed up to wait for me to rejoin on him, for which I thanked him and continued running. At the 2 mile marked, the course had only measured 1.83 miles. I believe there was some problem with the measurement at the turnaround point. The race ended up only being 2.93 miles instead of 3.1. I came through mile 2 on my garmin with a 6:31 pace. I would have been right on pace without the fall. At about the 2.5 mile mark, I started to pull away from David leaving me solely in 4th place. I ended up coming through the finish line at 18:45 (which I later calculated to be about 19:50 for 3.1). Not a bad pace, and pretty much where I wanted to be in the first race of the season considering no speed work up until this point. I came through the finish line bleeding on my right need and hand from the turnaround. The volunteers were concerned about my bleeding, although the only thing on my mind was the shortness of the course. I explained my concern and staggered through the finish line.. Mostly, I was mumbling incoherently I think since I was still tired and out of breath at that point. All in all, a good race, although I think that if you are putting together an official race, more care should be taken be to meet the proper race distance. It wasn't for money or anything, but it is still nice considering I paid $25 to run the race. I typically expect a margin of error of no more than about .05 miles on a 5K considering all the technology out there these days (Garmin, etc.) I am now gearing up for my next 5K race in Westchester, IL on 11/9.

Ryan

Waterman Lions Club Gobbler Gallop 5K in Waterman, IL - 11/22/08 This was a great race to run in, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fall 5K in the coming years. I would give them a 10 out 10 on the organization and running of this race. The race is located in Waterman, IL which is about 15 miles south of Dekalb. It took me a little over 45 minutes to get their from my home in Hampshire. The race starts at the Waterman elementary school and winds through the streets of Waterman. The course is very flat. I noticed some small inclines and declines but nothing that would constitute a hill. This race course was certified and very accurate measuring 3.11 on my Garmin. All of the mile splits seems right on point as well. The total field measured 189 participants which provided some fairly decent competition at my running level. After the disappointing organization in Elk Groove, this race was a great experience for me and I would recommend it to anyone in the area for next year. Check out My race effort. My best 5K time of the year.

Ryan

Bunny Dash Go Green 5K in Palatine, IL - 4/4/08 This was the innagural running of the Bunny Dash 5K in Palatine. I wasn't sure what to expect given that this was their first go at the race, honestly I was expecting some disorganization. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the exact opposite was true. Race organization was great and the course was spot on for distance. The race was also a "Green" event aimed at reducing environmental impacts of the race. The race was held at Deere Grove forest preserve in Palatine. The race course is a loop (with a small out and back section at around mile 1) which takes competitors through gentle rolling terrain of the preserve. Definitely a good course for setting fast times. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for a spring 5K in coming years. Check out my full race report in my running log.

Ryan

Des Plaines Chase to the Taste 5k Run/Walk, usually held early June.

I've run this race in 2009 & 2010. It's a small race, around 300 participants. Seems pretty well-organized. Free parking in a nearby parking garage.

The course itself is through a residential neighborhood. Pretty flat & shady, lots of turns. 2 water stops. Distance seems pretty accurate. 

Race packet included a reusable bag, plastic water bottle and some little food thing. I think in 2009 it was nuts of some sort. In 2010 it was a small Clif bar of some kind. 

In 2010, they offered gear check but I didn't use it so I'm not sure how that turned out.

No chip timing. In 2010 they didn't get the results posted until the following Monday.

All in all, I think it is a nice local event. There's also a Kids Dash that my kids refuse to do but it's very cute to watch.