Running-Wizard

Question on 100/100's and 50/50's (Read 31 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

What are they, how do you do them, and what training purpose do they serve? I remember reading someone's blog and these were mentioned but I couldn't remember where I read it. Googling got me no where. Then I saw Josh's post.

For info I run about 35 mpw, do intervals, tempos, hills,etc. I also only race 5k's.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Obligatory runner.

Really? Your google must be broken.  The text at this link  (admittedly the 8th result when I googled - paging down is hard!) is actually directly copied from the workout description in running wizard. http://www.championseverywhere.com/windsprints

Or was that not what you wanted to know?

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Yeah well you know how computers go - garbage in, garbage out. I just typed in 100/100 and didn't get it.

But, yes this is exactly what I wanted!

As for pace - is the sprint full speed? How fast are the floaters?

Thanks!

Obligatory runner.

Good Smile

These are TOUGH! I'm trying to think of a good way to describe it....for instance, my training plan says 21 for the fast part and 28 for the float - with a goal half marathon time of 1:37. So the sprint is about what you could call "400m race pace" and the float works out to, uh, around my half marathon pace, I guess? So you don't get much of a recovery there.

These come at the end of the plan, right before taper.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I have two 5K races and they are 7 days apart. Would these be good to do between races? They are Saturday races so I was thinking do them on Tuesday?

Also - which are better for 5K racing 100/100 or 50/50?

Obligatory runner.

I have two 5K races and they are 7 days apart. Would these be good to do between races? They are Saturday races so I was thinking do them on Tuesday?

Also - which are better for 5K racing 100/100 or 50/50?

I'm not sure one of those is "better". You can do either one of them a few days before a race, I guess. I don't really feel qualified to give definitive advice on this so maybe someone else will chime in...but yeah, they're meant to sharpen you up for racing IF you have done the requisite work beforehand like tempo runs and intervals. Which you say you have done - just thought I should state that for the record because it is not a workout to just randomly start doing if you haven't been strengthening your legs with hills and speedwork first.

Not sure if that was helpful at all.

Another thing: you're not meant to do these every week for months at a time. You can sharpen yourself up and stay "sharp" for maybe six weeks. After that you're going to notice diminishing returns and declining performance, and go back to aerobic/base training again. In theory, I mean, if you're adhering to Lydiard's principles.

Hungry

Hi Gustav1,

Not sure if this is helpful, but I'm currently doing a Running Wizard 5K plan. I've got the 100/100's to do this week and next week, then 2 weeks of tapering. Each of the taper weeks includes the 50/50 workout on a Monday, and the race is on a Saturday. So I would think it would possibly make sense for you to include another 50/50 workout in the week between your two 5K's. One caveat might be that, if you run the first 5K at a full race effort, you might not be fully ready to do another 50/50 workout just 2 days later. Another caveat might be the requisite base-building  (even before the tempo and intervals). 35 mpw is pretty solid, but the RW plan I'm using has had me running 45-50 mpw the last few weeks, and my 5K is about a month away.

I recall reading the rationale and physiological reasons for doing these types of workouts, but I would be likely to mis-state the information. I will say that I did both 100/100's and 50/50's for my last marathon, and I really added a level of speed that I previously lacked. I would think that these workouts are even more relevant to 5K racing than to marathons.

I hope at least some of this is useful to you. Good luck!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I do have a third 5K in November that is 6 weeks after these two. Maybe I'll incorporate the 100/100 and/or 50/50's into that training time period.

Nuinta

Just re-read these posts about 100/100s, felt like i did it wrong - and I have to laugh at myself, I had NO IDEA what the times listed under duration meant, I thought it was the fastest / slowest range time for the entire run (in minutes) ... just now realized that should have been my time intervals in seconds for the sprint and float.  wish i had done that! my float times were too fast, so i got exhausted and my sprint times ended up slowing down also.  D'oh! Wish i had done them correctly!

Smile gotta laugh at yourself!

Obligatory runner.

Just re-read these posts about 100/100s, felt like i did it wrong - and I have to laugh at myself, I had NO IDEA what the times listed under duration meant, I thought it was the fastest / slowest range time for the entire run (in minutes) ... just now realized that should have been my time intervals in seconds for the sprint and float.  wish i had done that! my float times were too fast, so i got exhausted and my sprint times ended up slowing down also.  D'oh! Wish i had done them correctly!

Smile gotta laugh at yourself!

Hey, no worries! Now you know for next time Smile

By the way - it's exhausting any way you do it. I did it totally wrong the first time by jogging instead of "floating", and was still dead by the end!