Running-Wizard

Countdown - It's race time! (Read 49 times)

Jersey runner....excited to read your Boston report! Looks like it was a perfect running day!

oh my gosh, can't believe what is going on today, just heartbreaking. been following the coverage most of the day. sick to my stomach right now. Jerseyrunner, praying that you are safe and holed up somewhere

Hill Slug

oh my gosh, can't believe what is going on today, just heartbreaking. been following the coverage most of the day. sick to my stomach right now. Jerseyrunner, praying that you are safe and holed up somewhere

My thoughts exactly.  Thoughts and prayers with jerseyrunner and everyone else.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

JML

It looks like jerseyrunner is ok.  I see a 25.8 mile Boston marathon logged today.   Glad that she is safe.

What a senseless day.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Happy

It looks like jerseyrunner is ok.  I see a 25.8 mile Boston marathon logged today.   Glad that she is safe.

What a senseless day.

I was sad and also a bit sick to my stomach yesterday. Difficult to process. I hope that Jerseyrunner is ok. Her 25.8 mile time also shows a time of 4:09:5x, which scares the heck out of me -- way too close. My thoughts are with you.

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

exactly what I thought, she was maybe a half mile away?? Praying for comfort for you right now Jerseyrunner, I can't imagine the emotions right now. i am still completely torn up and so emotional.

I'm just sick over what happened in Boston. So sad and angry.

Did you guys see that Jerseyrunner posted in one of the Boston threads? Great to read that she's ok.

On my way to London...

Christy:

Very quickly; do the long run on weekend, followed by easy intervals like 6 X 200m, then somewhat an easy day, say, 45-60 minutes jog, then either on Friday or Saturday, do 2-mile tempo run.  Shoot for 14-minutes (7-minute pace).  Do it strongly and evenly.  Take this workout like a race--a good warm-up and cool-down--except that you're NOT trying to kill yourself running hard.  Nice and easy and strongly.  If you have an access to a track, use the track.  Try to stick with 1:45 per lap pace.  It may be too fast at first; 2 miles may be a bit challenging...  But this is where you find that out.  And you'll learn to stick to a certain pace continuously.

The week of the race, go easy; do some easy 50/50, easy 30-minutes jog...and do 800m up-tempo run and you'll be ready.

oh my goodness....you were stopped, by a train!!??!!!  that is horrible....thankfully not your goal race!! still sounds like you ran a great race though, congrats!! you were clicking off the 6:30 miles like they were no big thing Smile You sound like you have set yourself up for a great marathon this summer!

Well, took Nobby's advice and found a 5K in three weeks (bonus...it's FREE!) sooooo, I am going to put my marathon training back a bit and start mid may to get in twenty weeks (possibly twenty one, need to count it out exactly) so Nobby said two weeks on, one week of taper. For my plan I did two weeks of hills, two weeks of intervals, and two weeks of coordination and two weeks of taper. Right now i am thinking one of my interval weeks and one of my coordination weeks. Does that sound right to you guys?

What a senseless day.

Yes, I am okay and so is my family. I never thought I would be grateful for being sick, but being sick last week slowed me down enough that I was half a mile away from the finish line when the bombs exploded. I had made the decision to run because I was 90% recovered from a wicked chest cold. I had no congestion and the cough was mostly gone, but I was not feeling 100%. I decided to go ahead and run, but to back off from my planned pace in order to be able to finish. Was feeling pretty good and had enough left in the tank to accelerate for the final few miles, but was stopped at mile 25.7 -- thank god for the timely response from Boston police. It was very confusing for all of us thousands of runners stranded on the course, shivering in our sweat-soaked shorts and singlets, but Boston folks were out to hand out water, food and trash bags. News was spotty and everyone was worried about family members waiting at the finish. Cell phone reception was weak, but we shared phones and most were able to call or text their loved ones. After about an hour, we were directed to where we could pick up our baggage and I went there to get my stuff and reunite with my husband. The next challenge was figuring out how to get to Concord where I was staying at my brother's house since all mass transit was closed. I was so focused on these immediate challenges, that the full magnitude of the event did not sink in until later -- I am still processing.

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/2; Trenton Half Marathon 10/8

Jerseyrunner

I am so glad to hear from you and know that you are ok, it's amazing that because of your cold it kept you from being in that area, just five minutes made a huge difference. incredible

Nobby, thanks for the non race week info! writing it on my calendar now and looking forward to another race! saw my race pictures from last weekend and I actually laughed out loud at how horrible i look when I run...I am an ugly runner for sure!

Hey all

Well, second attempt to hit my 5K goal time as predicted by my Running Wizard plan. Found a free 5K that was seriously 5 minutes from my house, not a great course...but totally doable! Today dawned cold (35 degrees), drizzly, and completely overcast, felt like March - not May!!!

I had a good warm up and then lined up at the start, after quickly running back to my car to grab my gloves!! My hands were in pain they were so cold, even though I never race with gloves on!! Also, my socks were already completely soaked through from the wet on the roads just from my warm up

I got started and felt good and was the first female, which was a cool feeling...but then right at the start of the second mile a chick caught up to me and I chased her the rest of the race. Second mile was horrendous, truly horrible!! I felt like crap and the only thing I wanted was to stop and walk. Because of the trees around the course my garmin was giving me all sorts of screwed up numbers so I thought I was running slow. Kept it together though and third mile felt much better, kept telling myself that it would be over in five minutes Smile

Never caught the chick but came in at 20:29 (unofficial results) second female and first in my age group. Couldn't believe it when I saw the clock and realized that I was way ahead of my goal time!! And a 60 second PR from just three weeks ago!!

so anyway, good race and I am done with 5K's for a while, don't care to feel that sort of pain again anytime soon Smile  Taking a week "off" and then will start my marathon plan for an October marathon in Ohio

RunSaintRun

Nice job on your race. 60 seconds is a huge, door busting PR for a 5K!!!

yikes

Christirei!!!! That is so cool! Congratulations!!

JML

That is a great result!  Congrats!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

JML....is your race this weekend?? how are you feeling?