Running-Wizard

Got a plan, but no race (Read 27 times)

The wife and I are trying to sell our house so we can move to the Olympic Peninsula. Not knowing how long we're going to be here in NC makes it tough to plan for anything four weeks away, let alone twenty-four (Side note: anyone want to buy a house in a nice small town just north of Greensboro?). I got a plan anyway (Marathon, 24-week, with an ambitious but maybe possible goal), figuring I could just follow the base-building phase until we're settled in our new home sometime this summer or fall or winter or spring or who knows.

The plan is seven days a week, which I've never done before but thought I'd give a shot. So far I'm at day thirty and feeling good!

Since I don't have a race and I'm streaking for the first time, what adjustments should I make to the plan? Or is this a bad idea, and if so is there a Holding Pattern plan or some equivalent out there?

What about picking a race near family/relatives?? That way no matter where you happen to be twenty four weeks from now you have an reason to go and visit someone and run your race in the same trip....

good luck with your plan! i upped my training to six days a week and am a bit overwhelmed, but had such good results with my 5K plan i am willing to trust in the training!

I don't think you should make any adjustments - I guess your theoretical race would be in October, and there are plenty of fall marathons to pick from whenever your plans become clearer. I know the megaraces like Chicago will sell out (or already sold out) but I'm sure you can find a smaller race to jump into. Christirei has a good idea to visit relatives.

If it happens that you follow the plan all the way to October and then can't do a marathon until a bit later, you can always extend your fitness using the race week/non-race-week schedules. I think Nobby says you can maintain racing fitness for something like 6 or 8 weeks using these schedules...

That's what I'd do, anyway!

You should know that you can't access the plan online on running-wizard.com after the official race date. But you will have imported it into your RunningAhead log and it seems you can still access it under "training plans".

I would pick an October marathon, however a move across the country (with three dogs) will take about a week, and chances of me being able to stick to the plan while driving all day from Motel 6 to Motel 6 is small. That's a big interruption!

I've run ten marathons, most of them without very good training. So I could do the distance and maybe even PR with a week off in the middle of this plan. I just feel like the responsible thing to do in my running life is to establish a really strong CONSISTANT base, and then start training once settled in the new home.

Back to the plan itself, though, I'm wondering if the longer runs are quite as important in my situation. Because of the streaking, I was thinking about making them a little shorter.

I don't think you should make any adjustments - I guess your theoretical race would be in October, and there are plenty of fall marathons to pick from whenever your plans become clearer. I know the megaraces like Chicago will sell out (or already sold out) but I'm sure you can find a smaller race to jump into. Christirei has a good idea to visit relatives.

If it happens that you follow the plan all the way to October and then can't do a marathon until a bit later, you can always extend your fitness using the race week/non-race-week schedules. I think Nobby says you can maintain racing fitness for something like 6 or 8 weeks using these schedules...

That's what I'd do, anyway!

You should know that you can't access the plan online on running-wizard.com after the official race date. But you will have imported it into your RunningAhead log and it seems you can still access it under "training plans".

Have you been talking to my mother? Wink

What about picking a race near family/relatives?? That way no matter where you happen to be twenty four weeks from now you have an reason to go and visit someone and run your race in the same trip....

good luck with your plan! i upped my training to six days a week and am a bit overwhelmed, but had such good results with my 5K plan i am willing to trust in the training!

Ah, ok - you're definitely not going to race in Oct. Understandable! I wouldn't either, what with all the big changes. Not just the long drive would interfere with your training - there is packing, unpacking, cleaning, painting, and whatever else goes with a move.

So you are just going to work on your base? Then I guess you can do whatever you want - though I would say that you still don't need to adjust anything. It's a 7 day/wk plan, so your recovery is built into the plan. If you need days off you should take them, of course, but you should be fine just doing what the plan tells you to do...just my opinion Smile good luck!!

Hungry

Hi Josh! May I call you "Barefoot Josh," or perhaps "Wrongway Josh"? Actually, if you are heading to the Olympic Peninsula, then you are heading the Right Way. I LOVE that area! I lived near Puget Sound back when I was in the Navy, and I really enjoyed exploring the surrounding area -- it's a very beautiful part of the country!

I am in the middle of week 18 of a 24-week RW marathon plan (6 days/week), and I think it's great. I feel very strong, much stronger than I did last fall when I was gearing up for my first marathon in 16 years (Twin Cities) using a non-RW plan. Speaking of which: you should consider timing your cross-country drive so that you are in the Twin Cities on October 6 for the Twin Cities Marathon. It's touted as the "Most Beautiful Urban Marathon in America." It's the only marathon I've ever run, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it IS a beautiful route, and the fans are spectacular. It's a big event (12,000 plus), but I believe spots are still open ... Any relatives in Minnesota? Want to borrow some?

Anyhow, the first 10 weeks of the plan are the base-building, Aerobic phase. It seems to me you could extend this part of the plan almost indefinitely, then resume the rest of the plan when you finally decide on a race date...  I was very intimidated when I saw that my weekly mileage during the Aerobic phase would get up to 70 miles/week -- my peak weekly mileage during my last training cycle was 56 miles. However, when I reached my 70 mile weeks, it really wasn't bad -- no pain or soreness or anything like that. In fact, 70 mpw at an aerobic pace seems easy in retrospect now that I'm in the Anaerobic Phase (i.e., doing Intervals twice a week, plus a PCR/Tempo run, and with weekly mileage around 60). YMMV.

Streaking for the first time? I tried that once back in the 80's. No one wants to see that again!

I've certainly been called worse...

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be sure to make a trip to run all the "Most Beautiful" marathons in the country. Wait, I won the lottery? World. I've biked around and through the Twin Cities once, and it is a beautiful area. Unfortunately our route out west will be a little more southernly. Both for the direct route and the wife and I have relatives in Wisconsin, and therefore we wish to avoid Wisconsin.

Back to the topic at foot, I was wondering how advisable it would be to follow the base-building indefinitely; I think so long as I'm careful not to overdo it, it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as streaking goes, I'll stick to the more modest definition, for everyone's sake.

Hi Josh! May I call you "Barefoot Josh," or perhaps "Wrongway Josh"? Actually, if you are heading to the Olympic Peninsula, then you are heading the Right Way. I LOVE that area! I lived near Puget Sound back when I was in the Navy, and I really enjoyed exploring the surrounding area -- it's a very beautiful part of the country!

I am in the middle of week 18 of a 24-week RW marathon plan (6 days/week), and I think it's great. I feel very strong, much stronger than I did last fall when I was gearing up for my first marathon in 16 years (Twin Cities) using a non-RW plan. Speaking of which: you should consider timing your cross-country drive so that you are in the Twin Cities on October 6 for the Twin Cities Marathon. It's touted as the "Most Beautiful Urban Marathon in America." It's the only marathon I've ever run, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it IS a beautiful route, and the fans are spectacular. It's a big event (12,000 plus), but I believe spots are still open ... Any relatives in Minnesota? Want to borrow some?

Anyhow, the first 10 weeks of the plan are the base-building, Aerobic phase. It seems to me you could extend this part of the plan almost indefinitely, then resume the rest of the plan when you finally decide on a race date...  I was very intimidated when I saw that my weekly mileage during the Aerobic phase would get up to 70 miles/week -- my peak weekly mileage during my last training cycle was 56 miles. However, when I reached my 70 mile weeks, it really wasn't bad -- no pain or soreness or anything like that. In fact, 70 mpw at an aerobic pace seems easy in retrospect now that I'm in the Anaerobic Phase (i.e., doing Intervals twice a week, plus a PCR/Tempo run, and with weekly mileage around 60). YMMV.

Streaking for the first time? I tried that once back in the 80's. No one wants to see that again!

I think you can base build for as long as you please. Can't think of any down side.