Running-Wizard

What do my stats from tonight's run tell you? (Read 37 times)

Supersono99

I ran my aerobic run tonight. I know I'm supposed to keep my pace steady and slow, at least that's my impression from the description. My paces got progressively slower tonight, but my RPE was steady. I actually felt great throughout and ended feeling like I could've run longer. My heartrate stayed consistent while my pace slowed. What does that mean? Did I do the run properly?

Sounds like you did just fine. That happens to me sometimes - getting progressively slower even though I feel fine - who knows why. I wouldn't worry about it Smile

Hungry

I agree with runharrietrun. Sounds normal, and encouraging that you felt great and could've done more. I think you'll see fluctuations like this every once in a while. There will probably also be days where you'll be surprised at how much faster you are running for a given effort level.

Supersono99

So slowing down in the aerobic run is okay? I was thinking that Because it says one  of the biggest mistakes you can make in this run is starting out too fast, that i was making that exact mistake  I interpret that to mean any slowing in pace through the run means I started too fast to maintain. That's the reason for my question.

SubDood, I look forward to faster paces! I'm really trying to be consistent!

Hungry

So slowing down in the aerobic run is okay? I was thinking that Because it says one  of the biggest mistakes you can make in this run is starting out too fast, that i was making that exact mistake  I interpret that to mean any slowing in pace through the run means I started too fast to maintain. That's the reason for my question.

SubDood, I look forward to faster paces! I'm really trying to be consistent!

First, full disclosure: I'm just some other user of the Running Wizard program. I haven't even finished a full cycle yet. So take anything I say with a grain of salt. Nobby is the guy who created RW. If he chimes in, definitely pay attention.

Yeah, ideally, you'd like to keep your pace easy and steady, so you may want to start at a slower pace and maintain it for the full duration on your next aerobic runs. But I think in general it's always ok to slow down or do less. Nobby often says, "If in doubt, do less."

I just re-read your post, and you mentioned that your HR stayed consistent while your pace slowed, and effort was steady. Maybe this is similar to "cardiac drift"? Usually I hear "cardiac drift" used to describe a gradual increase in HR as pace is maintained caused by gradually becoming dehydrated. Did you drink water during this run? This effect might only occur on much longer runs, so I'm not sure if that's what's going on or not.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much. You felt great, your HR and effort were steady, sounds good all around. But I would be patient with the desire for faster paces! The core concept in RW (if I understand it correctly) is that you build up in phases. You need to build the aerobic base first (and all of the physiological adaptations that go along with that) before you can move on and fully benefit from the subsequent phases.

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes!

Hm, I am torn between saying "don't worry about your easy run pace!" and saying "huh, maybe you should slow it down a tiny bit." Yes, you could be starting too fast relative to what your legs are up for that day.  Stalking your log, supersono, it looks like your last few aerobic and long aerobic runs have started faster than you finished, so it doesn't seem to be a one-time thing, which makes it worth examining. For instance, you have one run that starts at around 11:30 pace and ends up around 12:10 pace and several where the spread is not quite that extreme, but still there. In my totally amateur opinion, you'd want to either stay consistent with the pace, or reverse that scenario and get a little bit faster naturally as your body warms up. You probably just need to experiment with pace vs. heart rate vs. RPE until you find the right combination.

Since the average pace of your last few aerobic runs seems to be around 12:10 pace, I would suggest starting at that pace and seeing what happens. In other words, start at a pace that will feel really really slow. Unbelievably slow. Negative-RPE-slow. Slow can be good!  These days I'm often pretty creaky at the beginning of the run and I'll start out at 11-min pace, but end up in the low 9's or high 8's on an easy run, not because I'm intentionally pushing the pace but just because my body has warmed up and that is the pace it settles into.

Having said all that - an easy run is still just an easy run and it really isn't worth looking at your mile splits TOO closely, as long as it feels easy. And no two runs are the same. Some days you're a machine and every mile is the same pace, some days you're superhuman and you end your run feeling like you're about to take off and fly, and some days you start out slow and taper off until you're barely moving forward.

Supersono99

Thank you, Harriet and subDood. I will try for the ridiculously slow feeling today and see what happens. I know what that pace feels like for me, it feels like I'm bouncing up and down and not moving forward at all, it feels like I'm running in place.

Harriet, my pace has slowed in my previous aerobic runs, but usually my HR increases at the same time, and I think that makes sense saying I definitely started too fast. What confused me with this one was my avg hr for the last 3 miles stayed at 157 but my pace slowed. I was basically trying to figure out what information overload was telling me. Had I run without garmin or HRM, I'd have said by RPE this run was perfect. My other runs I could tell I was having to put more effort in toward the end.

Oh yeah, I forgot that was your original question Smile Since it only happened the one time, I would not worry about it.

DDXD

Slower than I look

Just wanted to chime in with one more additional possibility.  I don't know where you live but around here, the heat and humidity have really been coming on strong lately and I'm struggling to pace appropriately because of it.  After a few miles, once my body starts to heat up, the same paces become harder and my HR drifts a bit.  I think as long as you feel that you hit the right effort level, you're good to go.

Supersono99

DDXD, yes, heat and humidity are plentiful here in FL! I forget to take that into account since it is the norm, but it is steadily getting hotter here. Harriet, I tried last night to specifically run very, very slow and it felt awkward, but my pace was more consistent. My slow mile was the "hilliest"(I'm in FL, so take that with a grain of salt, lol) and my last mile was my fastest and I felt great. I'm very happy with my progress. I just have to figure out which plan to buy after this since I'm using it to build up my runnjng time, not necessarily train for a race, yet.