Running-Wizard

Succumbing to irresponsible temptation, again (Read 38 times)

I went ahead and signed up for the Victoria Marathon on October 13, even though I

1. have run low-mileage for the last six weeks

2. didn't run AT ALL the last week of June due to moving across the country and a nasty sinus infection

3. really should know better by now.

On the positive side, I'm feeling much better and Port Angeles is an incredible place to run. Without really meaning to, I've run seventy miles in the last seven days with no noticeable wear or tear. I'm totally fine with adjusting goals/throwing goals out the window.

I've got three reasons to run this marathon, one being kinda ok, another is stupid, and the last is really stupid:

1. The course is smooth asphalt, which is downright luxurious for barefoot runners like me. My barefoot marathon PR is easily beatable on this course even with less than stellar preparation. This reason to my mind is kinda ok.

2. Running any of the races in Victoria require an overnight stay, and it would feel silly to go through that expense for a half marathon. This reason is stupid.

3. Marathon finishers get a really cool hoodie, while half-marathoners get a nice but not as cool shirt. This reason is really stupid.

So how am I going to train? That's the question I'd like some answers to. Right now I plan on using Running-Wizard, but theoretically I should be just starting hills this week. Two ideas come to mind (sure, why not another numbered list):

1. Run four weeks of aerobic, then hills, then skip the anaerobic entirely and catch back up with coordination

2. Three weeks aerobic, three weeks hills, three weeks anaerobic, three weeks coordination.

What say the peanut gallery?

Josh

JML

Well.....this is a pickle....but I am also a sucker for a good hoodie so here goes.....

I would vote for option 2 on the grounds that you already have a fair amount of mileage this year that appears to be aerobic in nature.  I also don't think that skipping the anaerobic phase would be a good idea.  This is the phase that typically starts to pull together my fitness when following the RW plan, and I think it is very important.  Come to think of it.....all of the phases are important and  I think that skipping one would be like having Thanksgiving dinner without turkey (or cranberry, stuffing, potatoes, pie).

Thanksgiving is just not fun without one of the five key ingredients........and RW based training is best done with all 5 phases.  Just my two cents.  Keep us posted as I am curious how this will work out.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hungry

I don't see a stupid reason in your list. Victoria is beautiful, sounds like a great time!

Your Option 2 sounds like the better choice to me, too. Although I went back and looked to see if Running Wizard offers a 12-week Marathon program, and I saw this (http://www.running-wizard.com/program/plan_detail/1):

Plan length: 12-24 weeks. Choose your start date and race date - the plan adjusts automatically.  For those who are not quite an 1-hour runner, please see below for Beginner's Plan.

Fitness level: All fitness levels, from the couch potato to the seasoned runner.

Days of training: Select 4, 5, 6 or 7 days a week training.

Training outline: (12-24 weeks):

• Phase 1:  Base – progressive aerobic conditioning from your current fitness level (5-10 weeks)
        • Phase 2:  Hill Leg-Strengthening – muscular development that prepares for faster work (2-4 weeks)
        • Phase 3:  Anaero bic Conditioning – working on form, efficiency, oxygen debt capacity and pace (2-4 weeks)
        • Phase 4:  Coordination – specific workouts to combine stamina and speed to sharpen you for the marathon (2-4 weeks)
        • Phase 5:  Taper – cutting back the workload with shorter faster feel-good workouts (1-2 weeks)

So, you could modify your Option 2 slightly to keep all five phases, but with 5, 2, 2, 2, and 1 week(s) in the successive phases for a total of 12 weeks.  Or buy a 12-week plan and see what it gives you.

However you decide to proceed, good luck!

That's perfect! Good find. I suspected Nobby would prioritize the base building. And to be honest, that's what I feel like I'm going to want to do for a while before getting into the fast stuff. And I don't plan to try to be super fast anyway. At least, that's what I'm telling myself now...

I don't see a stupid reason in your list. Victoria is beautiful, sounds like a great time!

Your Option 2 sounds like the better choice to me, too. Although I went back and looked to see if Running Wizard offers a 12-week Marathon program, and I saw this (http://www.running-wizard.com/program/plan_detail/1):

Plan length: 12-24 weeks. Choose your start date and race date - the plan adjusts automatically.  For those who are not quite an 1-hour runner, please see below for Beginner's Plan.

Fitness level: All fitness levels, from the couch potato to the seasoned runner.

Days of training: Select 4, 5, 6 or 7 days a week training.

Training outline: (12-24 weeks):

• Phase 1:  Base – progressive aerobic conditioning from your current fitness level (5-10 weeks)
          • Phase 2:  Hill Leg-Strengthening – muscular development that prepares for faster work (2-4 weeks)
          • Phase 3:  Anaero bic Conditioning – working on form, efficiency, oxygen debt capacity and pace (2-4 weeks)
          • Phase 4:  Coordination – specific workouts to combine stamina and speed to sharpen you for the marathon (2-4 weeks)
          • Phase 5:  Taper – cutting back the workload with shorter faster feel-good workouts (1-2 weeks)

So, you could modify your Option 2 slightly to keep all five phases, but with 5, 2, 2, 2, and 1 week(s) in the successive phases for a total of 12 weeks.  Or buy a 12-week plan and see what it gives you.

However you decide to proceed, good luck!

My mileage has been inconsistent, though. A couple of extra weeks of consistent base building will probably do me good. You're probably right about not skipping an entree.

I misremembered the shirt - it's a long-sleeve zip, also cool (the ladies get the hoodie): http://www.runvictoriamarathon.com/images/2013-shirt-Marathon-men-large.jpg

Well.....this is a pickle....but I am also a sucker for a good hoodie so here goes.....

I would vote for option 2 on the grounds that you already have a fair amount of mileage this year that appears to be aerobic in nature.  I also don't think that skipping the anaerobic phase would be a good idea.  This is the phase that typically starts to pull together my fitness when following the RW plan, and I think it is very important.  Come to think of it.....all of the phases are important and  I think that skipping one would be like having Thanksgiving dinner without turkey (or cranberry, stuffing, potatoes, pie).

Thanksgiving is just not fun without one of the five key ingredients........and RW based training is best done with all 5 phases.  Just my two cents.  Keep us posted as I am curious how this will work out.